How many teams are still alive with 5th year seniors?

PurplesFan

39 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Yes, I should have included them with Cov Cath. I don't think any private schools allowed reclassification. Which makes sense to me because the private schools did more in class learning during the height of COVID.

I’m pretty sure LCA did. Now you might be referring to just NKY privates or Catholic private schools. I could be wrong because it’s not something I’ve been tracking. 

I believe Douglas has one underclassman that did. Again I’m not 100% on that and I’m not referring to Douglas as a private school. I just wanted to state that to clear up any confusion. 

I feel like part of the issue people have is they feel it should of been everyone (all schools allow it) or none of them. Since it was up to each district it became a bit of a mess. You could say the same thing about holding back kids in general. Some districts don’t have an issue and others will refuse. 

Most of the attention is on the 5th year seniors. If teams had underclassmen take advantage of the opportunity then this decision could have lasting effects for a few seasons. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rocks and Cards said:

Trinity did not have any.  There were some parents expressing concern for their kids having to play against fifth year seniors.

Which is an argument that shouldn't be valid because a fifth year senior would still have had to meet the age requirements set forth by the KHSAA handbook. Chances are they have played multiple seniors this year who are 18 and turning 19 during the school year if aren't already 19 years of age. 

1 hour ago, ChickenWyngz said:

How many in NKY, besides Beechwood and Holmes, had reclassified players? Not many at all. If any. 

1 hour ago, gbballfan21 said:

Cooper, Dixie, and Conner had at least one as far as I know. Not sure about any of the other schools in NKY.

A quick look at Dixie. It looked like 2 5th year seniors. I will look at others when I have time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlyPattern said:

Which is an argument that shouldn't be valid because a fifth year senior would still have had to meet the age requirements set forth by the KHSAA handbook. Chances are they have played multiple seniors this year who are 18 and turning 19 during the school year if aren't already 19 years of age. 

Correct. I would be almost certain almost every team in the state had at least one 19 year old or soon to be 19 year old on their roster, even if they didn't have anyone take advantage of the 5th year. And this has probably been the case almost every year before covid. And much of the time, most of the 19 year olds don't really stand out above the rest. 

11 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

Correct. I would be almost certain almost every team in the state had at least one 19 year old or soon to be 19 year old on their roster, even if they didn't have anyone take advantage of the 5th year. And this has probably been the case almost every year before covid. And much of the time, most of the 19 year olds don't really stand out above the rest. 

Let's be clear on the 19 year old issue. The KHSAA did not change anything on the 19 year old rule. The 19 year old rule is the same now as it was 10 years ago.

7 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Let's be clear on the 19 year old issue. The KHSAA did not change anything on the 19 year old rule. The 19 year old rule is the same now as it was 10 years ago.

Correct. That's why this argument is really somewhat silly. 

• Like 1

To me, the KHSAA 2021 reclassification rule is equal to the KHSAA allowing out of State student athletes to compete in Kentucky Highschool athletics.  Both are rules, and both are being played within the rules.  I don't like either one.  So, my least favorite saying applies, "it is, what it is..."  JMO   

St. X starts two sophomores on O-Line and 1 starts on defense and two others play a lot on defense. I know Trinity starts 5 sophomores on defense. They are going against Juniors and Seniors with sucess. A extra year certainly benefits but not sure it's a lot. Ramont Townsend for Manual  was good player last year as a senior and he was good this year as redshirt senior. I think it's more that a good player coming back is going to be a good player. EIi Reed of PRP who committed to Kentucky came back and didn't really notice much difference in PRP from last year to this year.