How many teams are still alive with 5th year seniors?

PurplesFan

As we are seeing from the posts in this thread, this was/is prevalent on teams around the state. My two main points are:

1. This happened in many, many schools statewide - not an isolated few schools.

2. There are no 20 year old seniors. The KHSAA did not change their rule on age eligibility. The age rule is the same as it has been for many years. Players have been repeating a grade for as long as I can remember - they just had to do it before high school prior to the one year allowance under this reclassification rule.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

As we are seeing from the posts in this thread, this was/is prevalent on teams around the state. My two main points are:

1. This happened in many, many schools statewide - not an isolated few schools.

2. There are no 20 year old seniors. The KHSAA did not change their rule on age eligibility. The age rule is the same as it has been for many years. Players have been repeating a grade for as long as I can remember - they just had to do it before high school prior to the one year allowance under this reclassification rule.

All True. I think the primary rub for a lot of people is that while kids obviously reclassified previously prior to high school, it typically was driven by academic reasons or because a kid being underdeveloped going into Kindergarten or 1st grade. Not a teams star athlete choosing to do it to boost college prospects, and then leaving HS once the football season ends, which seems to be somewhat common across the state. 

The rule is the rule though, so not sense in continuing to beat a dead horse, OR pretending that it doesn't give some schools a big advantage, obviously within the rules. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BlueKernels said:

All True. I think the primary rub for a lot of people is that while kids obviously reclassified previously prior to high school, it typically was driven by academic reasons or because a kid being underdeveloped going into Kindergarten or 1st grade. Not a teams star athlete choosing to do it to boost college prospects, and then leaving HS once the football season ends, which seems to be somewhat common across the state. 

The rule is the rule though, so not sense in continuing to beat a dead horse, OR pretending that it doesn't give some schools a big advantage, obviously within the rules. 

Seriously? I agree on the kindergarten comment. However, many students across the state have "reclassified" in middle school for years. You think those are all academics?

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Seriously? I agree on the kindergarten comment. However, many students across the state have "reclassified" in middle school for years. You think those are all academics?

Many, yes. As someone with several family members in education locally, it does happen somewhat regularly. If parents are reclassifying their middle schoolers for sports..... what a joke. Get your priorities straight. 

45 minutes ago, Bucketgetter said:

Cov Cath fans would be real sorry if Mitchell Berger reclassified as well. Imagine having to deal with him in 3 major sports for 3 more years... 

What?? Same statement could be made for a ton of good players from other NKY teams. Is Beechwood working on something to get him a redshirt? 

4 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

Correct. I would be almost certain almost every team in the state had at least one 19 year old or soon to be 19 year old on their roster, even if they didn't have anyone take advantage of the 5th year. And this has probably been the case almost every year before covid. And much of the time, most of the 19 year olds don't really stand out above the rest. 

None at south Warren.

45 minutes ago, BlueKernels said:

Many, yes. As someone with several family members in education locally, it does happen somewhat regularly. If parents are reclassifying their middle schoolers for sports..... what a joke. Get your priorities straight. 

Based on your reply, I will tell you reclassifying in middle school with sports in mind happens more often than you know. I don't see it as much in N. Ky as in other parts of the state.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Voice of Reason said:

Based on your reply, I will tell you reclassifying in middle school with sports in mind happens more often than you know. I don't see it as much in N. Ky as in other parts of the state.

I've heard of it being more common in Eastern KY, just not all that common in NKY as you said. Not a big fan of it either way, but to each their own I guess. 

1 hour ago, BlueKernels said:

I've heard of it being more common in Eastern KY, just not all that common in NKY as you said. Not a big fan of it either way, but to each their own I guess. 

I wonder if it’s not as common in NKY (or other parts of the state) in part due to childcare.  This is just a thought that I came to while reading. 

What I mean is maybe in other parts of the state it is more common to start a child a little later than to have them repeat. If families can afford or manage it they would just start their child a year later so they would be on the older end. In places like eastern KY childcare is a little more difficult due to geographic make up alone and not even taking financial factors into account. So some places and people are doing things the same they are just going about them in a slightly different manner. 

Maybe around 10 years ago on the MS level I saw a trend in some areas of the opposite. People were enrolling their children as soon as they could due to the cost of childcare. So you saw MS students who would enter their SR in HS at 16 and would turn 17 sometimes as late as October. 

• Like 1

I know of a few parents in the Ashland/Boyd Co to Greenup Co that held their kids back  in grade school and these boys are in high school now but not in numbers to form a super team. Ashland had a transfer from Oklahoma but not sure if it was done for extra year or not. 

1 hour ago, tomcat1984 said:

I know of a few parents in the Ashland/Boyd Co to Greenup Co that held their kids back  in grade school and these boys are in high school now but not in numbers to form a super team. Ashland had a transfer from Oklahoma but not sure if it was done for extra year or not. 

Padron transferred from Missouri Military Academy. He was listed from Mexico, Missouri.

• Like 1