Reclassification

9 minutes ago, KY Outsider said:

Isn't it too late to reclassify now?

Students have up until June 15th of this year to submit their request to repeat the year. The Board of Education with jurisdiction has until June 30th of this year to decide whether or not they will allow students in their school district to repeat years.

24 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

How does reclassification work academically?  The kids all have enough credits to graduate already right?

That has been something that people have been debating on social media...although I've not seen anyone "official" weigh in on the matter or issue a statement.

The NCAA allegedly requires that all of a student's credits to graduate high school must be achieved within 4 years, so if that's the case, students who want to reclassify and repeat a year will have to have obtained all required credits to graduate prior to their 5th year of high school (assuming they are repeating a grade of high school, and not repeating in grades K-8, which is also permitted according to Kentucky's Supplemental School Year Program.)

I saw someone on Twitter who questioned whether or not that means any students in the past who were previously held back or failed a year of high school (thereby taking 5 years to earn all of their graduation credits) were ineligible under the NCAA. That's a good question - and one that I've not come across an answer to.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

That has been something that people have been debating on social media...although I've not seen anyone "official" weigh in on the matter or issue a statement.

The NCAA allegedly requires that all of a student's credits to graduate high school must be achieved within 4 years, so if that's the case, students who want to reclassify and repeat a year will have to have obtained all required credits to graduate prior to their 5th year of high school (assuming they are repeating a grade of high school, and not repeating in grades K-8, which is also permitted according to Kentucky's Supplemental School Year Program.)

I saw someone on Twitter who questioned whether or not that means any students in the past who were previously held back or failed a year of high school (thereby taking 5 years to earn all of their graduation credits) were ineligible under the NCAA. That's a good question - and one that I've not come across an answer to.

I don't see how that would be possible.

2 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I don’t believe that all credits for graduation have to be achieved within the first four years.  I believe it is 16 credit hours in specific courses within the first 4 years and 10 of those credit hours have to be achieved prior to the start of the 7th semester.  I believe it is different for D2 and D3 eligibility.  I think this is how prep school kids can still be eligible.  I could be wrong though.

834331D5-E921-4258-8F40-70D9855B7013.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kellymt75 said:

I don’t believe that all credits for graduation have to be achieved within the first four years.  I believe it is 16 credit hours in specific courses within the first 4 years and 10 of those credit hours have to be achieved prior to the start of the 7th semester.  I believe it is different for D2 and D3 eligibility.  I think this is how prep school kids can still be eligible.  I could be wrong though.

834331D5-E921-4258-8F40-70D9855B7013.png

Thanks @Kellymt75! Here it is in text format, for easier reading....

Division I Initial Eligibility

Division I schools require students to meet academic standards for NCAA-approved core courses, core- course GPA and test scores. More information regarding the impact of COVID-19 and test scores can be found at on.ncaa.com/COVID19_Fall_B. To be eligible to practice, compete and receive athletics scholarships in their first full-time year at a Division I school, students must graduate from high school and meet ALL of the following requirements:

1. Complete a total of 16 core courses in the following areas:

• English - 4 Years
  • Math (Algebra 1 or higher) - 3 Years
  • Natural/Physical Science (one year of lab, if offered) - 2 Years
  • Additional English, Math or Natural/Physical Science - 1 Year
  • Social Sciences - 2 Years
  • Additional Courses (Any area listed above, foreign language or comparative religion/philosophy) - 4 Years

2. Complete 10 out of their 16 core courses, including seven in English, math or natural/physical science, before the start of the seventh semester. Once a student begins their seventh semester, they must have more than 10 core courses completed to be able to repeat or replace any of the 10 courses used to meet the 10/7 requirement. Students whose academic credentials are solely international (including Canada) are not required to meet the 10/7 requirement.

3. Complete the 16 NCAA-approved core courses in eight academic semesters or four consecutive academic years from the start of ninth grade. If students graduate from high school early, they still must meet core-course requirements.

4. Earn an SAT combined score or ACT sum score that matches their core-course GPA (minimum 2.300) on the Division I sliding scale.

image.png.60eefcae76e5611dbd42243729264049.png

4 hours ago, Just Truth said:

3 is clear. The student has 8 semesters or 4 years from the start of 9th grade.

I believe they have 4 years or 8 semesters to complete the 16 hours required for NCAA eligibility listed above.  Most schools require somewhere around 22-24 credits to graduate high school and have other required classes than what the NCAA requires, i.e. physical education/fine arts.  So in theory, they could satisfy the NCAA by year four and still complete remaining courses in year five to stay NCAA eligible and graduate.  If school districts make them repeat classes they have already taken, it might be hard to meet the D1 NCAA eligibility requirements by year 4.

• Like 1

I think this could hurt underclassmen who are trying to repeat more than this years seniors.  More than likely this years seniors have already done what it takes to meet requirements.  I would say most of your football guys who don't do winter or spring sports will be done by Christmas.

However, if you are a freshman in HS and take the supplemental year and repeat as a freshman...then it becomes what courses does the school allow, because their "time" has already started in the 4 years category, so they would need to keep progressing to get to the 10 and 16 credit requirements.

Aaron Mudd
@NewsByAaron

At tonight's @BGISD board meeting, the board unanimously voted to decline participation in the new Supplemental School Year program, the so-called "do-over school year" law. 23 students applied to retake a year of school. None were K-6 students.

Bowling Green Independent voted against allowing.  BG multi-sport athlete (and state champ QB) Conner Cooper appeared to be desiring to take advantage of the rule - he had changed his Twitter description to include "22’ Prospect" and he retweeted a negative impression of Bowling Green's decision. 
  • Thanks 1