Reclassification

10 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:
MISSION STATEMENT

Bowling Green City Schools is committed to high academic expectations and extracurricular opportunities and in an inclusive, caring, safe, and healthy environment. 

Does the action taken by the Bowling Green school board align with their mission statement?

In what way does it not?

11 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:
MISSION STATEMENT

Bowling Green City Schools is committed to high academic expectations and extracurricular opportunities and in an inclusive, caring, safe, and healthy environment. 

Does the action taken by the Bowling Green school board align with their mission statement?

On the surface it doesn't appear so. 

Did they play or not? I think they had their opportunities. Nearly everyone has suffered to some degree over the past 14 months. Some suffered the ultimate price. Many lost jobs. Why do we have to coddle these kids who actually got their season in. Did they get as much exposure as they would like, probably not. Did they suffer more than everyone else? Probably not. Suck it up, life is hard. Better to learn that now, and use it as motivation. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, TyroneBigsby said:

Did they play or not? I think they had their opportunities. Nearly everyone has suffered to some degree over the past 14 months. Some suffered the ultimate price. Many lost jobs. Why do we have to coddle these kids who actually got their season in. Did they get as much exposure as they would like, probably not. Did they suffer more than everyone else? Probably not. Suck it up, life is hard. Better to learn that now, and use it as motivation. 

In large part I agree with this too, I am definitely conflicted. 

One more violation in this thread and we are shutting it down too.  Many of you are making BGP impossible and I think we all know what that means in the long term.

Any mention, discussion, and media regarding politics or political figures is expressly prohibited on BluegrassPreps. This includes, but is not limited to the mention or names of any elected or publicly appointed officials, both domestic and foreign, by name, title, or by the offices held (e.g. - president, governor, chancellor, mayor, minister, senator, congressman, commissioner, attorney general, county clerk, magistrate, Beshear, Clinton, Lincoln, Merkel, Obama, Putin, Reagan, Roosevelt, Trudeau, Trump, etc). Any direct references or inferences to political terminology and activities, (e.g. - government, Democrat, Republican, GOP, conservative, liberal, campaign, lobby, legislature, filibuster, caucus, etc) and anything else deemed political in nature by the BGP staff is also prohibited from the site. Likewise, this also includes 3rd party links to articles that are political in name or in nature. Additionally, the use of names/nicknames deemed by the BGP staff as references to political figures (e.g. - Andy, Donald, Tricky Dick, Slick Willy) will not be permitted on BluegrassPreps.

Keeping in mind BGP's core purpose as a sports-discussion community, discussion of the the managing bodies specifically serving over high school, college, amateur, and professional sports leagues (KHSAA, NCAA, IOC, MLB, MLS, NBA, NFL et al), along with the officers, officials and the titles held by the individuals within those organizations is permitted on BGP. Similarly, high school and college/university administrators and officials, when discussed in a strictly non-political manner, are all permissible on BGP.

22 minutes ago, TyroneBigsby said:

This is basically where I'm at. Life is a whole big bunch of unfair. One of my uncles said recently, "I got drafted. Do I get any re-do years for anything?" Kinda struck a chord for me. Sometimes things just don't go the way you want them to. There's a big life lesson in that, and I think basically the entire world, literally, got a taste of that life lesson in 2020.

As far as re-doing a year, I'll say what I said elsewhere at some point...I get it if a parent wants to take their kindergartener, 1st grader, or 2nd grader and have them repeat. Most of those kids spent basically a year of school in the stage where they're trying to put together the basics of reading, writing & arithmetic and they were stuck trying to do all of that remotely from a computer screen at their kitchen table. That's FAR less than ideal for putting together the building blocks of education.

That said, well, Kentucky schools are allowing a re-do year, like it or not. Sitting and shaking our fists at the sky and wailing and gnashing our teeth isn't going to stop that. School districts get to decide whether or not they want to take part in SSYP. Talking to a couple of principals and administrators in the last handful of weeks certainly gave me some insight as to why a school district would want to not participate in SSYP. On the flip side, I can certainly see why some kids and their families - particularly talented athletes - would see a whole lot of upside to having another year to play on the prep level and try to gain exposure for recruiting. If it's legal, it's legal. I'm not gonna give them a hard time for taking advantage of a situation that benefits them.

Fair? Probably not. Basically nothing that's come out of this mother scratching COVID thing has been fair. Trying to make it fair is basically an exercise in futility, if you ask me, but that's just one man's opinion.

It is what it is.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

This is basically where I'm at. Life is a whole big bunch of unfair. One of my uncles said recently, "I got drafted. Do I get any re-do years for anything?" Kinda struck a chord for me. Sometimes things just don't go the way you want them to. There's a big life lesson in that, and I think basically the entire world, literally, got a taste of that life lesson in 2020.

As far as re-doing a year, I'll say what I said elsewhere at some point...I get it if a parent wants to take their kindergartener, 1st grader, or 2nd grader and have them repeat. Most of those kids spent basically a year of school in the stage where they're trying to put together the basics of reading, writing & arithmetic and they were stuck trying to do all of that remotely from a computer screen at their kitchen table. That's FAR less than ideal for putting together the building blocks of education.

That said, well, Kentucky schools are allowing a re-do year, like it or not. Sitting and shaking our fists at the sky and wailing and gnashing our teeth isn't going to stop that. School districts get to decide whether or not they want to take part in SSYP. Talking to a couple of principals and administrators in the last handful of weeks certainly gave me some insight as to why a school district would want to not participate in SSYP. On the flip side, I can certainly see why some kids and their families - particularly talented athletes - would see a whole lot of upside to having another year to play on the prep level and try to gain exposure for recruiting. If it's legal, it's legal. I'm not gonna give them a hard time for taking advantage of a situation that benefits them.

Fair? Probably not. Basically nothing that's come out of this mother scratching COVID thing has been fair. Trying to make it fair is basically an exercise in futility, if you ask me, but that's just one man's opinion.

It is what it is.

Great summation CWB.

• Like 2