Reclassification

55 minutes ago, DragonFire said:
Aaron Mudd
@NewsByAaron

At tonight's @BGISD board meeting, the board unanimously voted to decline participation in the new Supplemental School Year program, the so-called "do-over school year" law. 23 students applied to retake a year of school. None were K-6 students.

Bowling Green Independent voted against allowing.  BG multi-sport athlete (and state champ QB) Conner Cooper appeared to be desiring to take advantage of the rule - he had changed his Twitter description to include "22’ Prospect" and he retweeted a negative impression of Bowling Green's decision. 

With this decision: is Cooper able to transfer to a school that does allow it??

Just now, FB Head said:

With this decision: is Cooper able to transfer to a school that does allow it??

I have no idea what the answer is but a player should definitely be allowed to transfer and be eligible for everything immediately in a situation like this.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DanvilleFan said:

If any of these reclassified kids that are seniors opt not to come back to school after football season is over, do they count as a dropout for their school even if they have all the graduation requirements met?

I wondered about that too.  It seems to me you would want to take some college classes after your sport is over. 

4 minutes ago, theguru said:

I wondered about that too.  It seems to me you would want to take some college classes after your sport is over. 

I was thinking about that today.  I wonder for any of these players that get a college offer if we'll see a lot of "I'm done with high school in the fall and I'll enroll early at (insert university) in the spring."  Can't blame them if they do this, though, because I definitely would.

18 minutes ago, DanvilleFan said:

I was thinking about that today.  I wonder for any of these players that get a college offer if we'll see a lot of "I'm done with high school in the fall and I'll enroll early at (insert university) in the spring."  Can't blame them if they do this, though, because I definitely would.

That is what I would do.

1 hour ago, KY Outsider said:

If he doesn't repeat as Mr. Football, would you consider it a waste of the re-do year?

I can’t believe any athlete would play a extra year of football solely for a award so I would say he would probably like to win it but it’s probably not a priority on his mind for returning for another season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KY Outsider said:

If he doesn't repeat as Mr. Football, would you consider it a waste of the re-do year?

I would imagine he'd run into some pushback from voters. At the very least, he would have to have an even better year than last year, which isn't going to be easy. Either way, you can't take this year's award away from him. 

I just don't know that this is such a great idea for someone like Hergott. I'm guessing he's looking for a better offer from a Power 5 school. But will getting another year really improve his chances of doing that? And what about risk of injury? Or even just being not quite as good as last year? He could end up with a lesser offer if either of those two things happen. I'm of the opinion a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.  I hope it works out for him.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2021 at 10:54 AM, DragonFire said:
Aaron Mudd
@NewsByAaron

At tonight's @BGISD board meeting, the board unanimously voted to decline participation in the new Supplemental School Year program, the so-called "do-over school year" law. 23 students applied to retake a year of school. None were K-6 students.

Bowling Green Independent voted against allowing.  BG multi-sport athlete (and state champ QB) Conner Cooper appeared to be desiring to take advantage of the rule - he had changed his Twitter description to include "22’ Prospect" and he retweeted a negative impression of Bowling Green's decision. 

It is a shame the higher ups at Beechwood High School didn't make the same decision.  Especially when it can be confirmed you have individuals only taking advantage of the extra year for athletic purposes.  

• Like 1

Wonder if any guys who had been waiting for their chance to play behind players who decide to reclassify will want to transfer to another school. Kind of crappy for players in that situation especially if they're actually a senior this year. 

I said it earlier on the other thread, everyone had a season except Fort Knox and Fort Campbell and their kids don't get the option to reclassify. Everyone else got there season there should be no redo for them.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Rule #13 - Capitalization
  • Like 2

I know someone down south of Lexington that only plays hoops and is the main contributor to the team, The team itself and overall record shows they are not good. But this player choose to reclass. Was it really for hoops thou or more for them as a student/athlete?

On 5/11/2021 at 10:54 AM, DragonFire said:
Aaron Mudd
@NewsByAaron

MISSION STATEMENT

Bowling Green City Schools is committed to high academic expectations and extracurricular opportunities and in an inclusive, caring, safe, and healthy environment. 

Does the action taken by the Bowling Green school board align with their mission statement?

• Like 1