Michigan and Ohio State Canceled

TheDeuce

1 hour ago, Run To State said:

They lost, moot point. If Miami would have won, I'd entertain your argument.

9 conference games vs 5, but you complain about fairness. The Buckeyes had 3 cancellations, the Irish had 1 and they didn't get to make it up. Did the Buckeyes make up any cancelled games? No. So, in your world of "fairness", why should ND have to make up 1 game if OSU doesn't have to make up any of their 3? A 5 game season is a joke. Maybe the B1G should have started when the other conferences did. Maybe the B1G should have done a better job of managing the virus. 

If you want my opinion, the whole season never should have happened. The NCAA did it wrong. The NHL and the NBA did a much better job of protecting players. 

Obviously hindsight is always 20/20. That’s not the point. I don’t disagree with your opinion about the B1G they fumbled it big time. Sure I’m biased, but it doesn’t seem right to punish Ohio State for something outside of their control. 

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

What was the tie breaker?

I won’t lie, I’m not sure. Just repeating what I heard. I just tried to read through the tie breaker policies for the ACC and it could have come down to some computer rating system that I’m not familiar with. With a loss to WF I’m not sure how it would have dropped NDs ranking with that system. The ACC made the right decision. I have zero issues with it and think it’s a no brainer decision. Same way I felt about the Ohio State decision from the B1G. RTS doesn’t feel that way about the B1G decision, but won’t even entertain the argument about the ACC because in hindsight Miami lost. 

5 hours ago, GrantNKY said:

I won’t lie, I’m not sure. Just repeating what I heard. I just tried to read through the tie breaker policies for the ACC and it could have come down to some computer rating system that I’m not familiar with. With a loss to WF I’m not sure how it would have dropped NDs ranking with that system. The ACC made the right decision. I have zero issues with it and think it’s a no brainer decision. Same way I felt about the Ohio State decision from the B1G. RTS doesn’t feel that way about the B1G decision, but won’t even entertain the argument about the ACC because in hindsight Miami lost. 

You conveniently left out that OSU only played 5 games. I won't entertain a team with only 5 games being eligible for a Conference Championship and definitely not eligible for the Playoffs for a National Championship.

Again, this whole thing came down to the almighty dollar. It's what makes it hard to even watch anymore.

24 minutes ago, Run To State said:

You conveniently left out that OSU only played 5 games. I won't entertain a team with only 5 games being eligible for a Conference Championship and definitely not eligible for the Playoffs for a National Championship.

Again, this whole thing came down to the almighty dollar. It's what makes it hard to even watch anymore.

Dude we are going through a pandemic. It’s a weird year and when there are things out of your control, you shouldn’t be punished for it. Ohio State has the same right to play for a national championship as anyone else. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

Dude we are going through a pandemic. It’s a weird year and when there are things out of your control, you shouldn’t be punished for it. Ohio State has the same right to play for a national championship as anyone else. 

I’m gonna listen to Deuce and ignore the noise.  

• Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 5:41 PM, TheDeuce said:

Seems like to me from some folks on Twitter that the COVID situation at UC shouldn’t have been enough to keep the game from happening. 

Coming in to the party late, so not sure if it has been addressed or not, but I can confirm 100% that the Covid outbreak at UC was serious following their return from UCF.

They were going to be without a significant amount of players and coaches due to return to play league protocols. Fick was ready  to prepare without those players and coaches and wanted to play but the league medical staff stepped in and made a call due to the amount of players that were going to start going through those return to play protocols as late as Friday. 

The original/first scheduled Tulsa game 100% should have been played and Fick said it would have been played if the game were in Cincy. Tulsa president recommended cancelling the game prematurely. Nobody affected was going to travel even if they weren't dealing with Covid. Fick indirectly called out the league and Tulsa in his presser after the announcement. 

On 12/13/2020 at 5:22 PM, GrantNKY said:

Again, they should have started when everyone else did, they should have managed it better. They don't deserve preferential treatment, but for monetary reasons, that's exactly what they're getting.

A five game season is a joke.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Run To State said:

Again, they should have started when everyone else did, they should have managed it better. They don't deserve preferential treatment, but for monetary reasons, that's exactly what they're getting.

A five game season is a joke.

It’s not Ohio States fault. What exactly would you have liked Ohio State to do differently? 

18 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

So Ohio State should just be left out for reasons not under their control? When most people would probably agree they are one of the 4 best teams? 

No, that is not the argument. They should be left out because they've played an abbreviated schedule to an already abbreviated schedule. It is not their fault. Nobody is saying this. It is the conference's fault. Hell, I don't think they are one of the best four teams. By my eye test they are the best team, but there is something to be said about competitive balance when a team will play half the amount of games as the others in the playoffs. I would be miffed if I was on the border of making it and had played a 10+ game schedule.

Again, I don't really care, nobody will remember this in a few months. I would rather see OSU in the playoffs because it is better football than some other rando. As I noted, college football has a much longer history of being arbitrary than it does awarding on-field performance. And as we've both noted, it is a whacky year.The B1G's incompetence - which we all agree it is - is getting rewarded here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bugatti said:

I would be miffed if I was on the border of making it and had played a 10+ game schedule.

That's the thing. Grant would be beside himself if OSU was on the verge of 10-1 (or better) and a 5-0 or 6-0 team could potentially get a better seed or even take OSU's spot in the CFP. 

14 minutes ago, bugatti said:

No, that is not the argument. They should be left out because they've played an abbreviated schedule to an already abbreviated schedule. It is not their fault. Nobody is saying this. It is the conference's fault. Hell, I don't think they are one of the best four teams. By my eye test they are the best team, but there is something to be said about competitive balance when a team will play half the amount of games as the others in the playoffs. I would be miffed if I was on the border of making it and had played a 10+ game schedule.

Again, I don't really care, nobody will remember this in a few months. I would rather see OSU in the playoffs because it is better football than some other rando. As I noted, college football has a much longer history of being arbitrary than it does awarding on-field performance. And as we've both noted, it is a whacky year.The B1G's incompetence - which we all agree it is - is getting rewarded here.

I agree 100% on the B1G incompetence. I don’t see the B1G incompetence as getting rewarded. If the B1G played a 10 game season, realistically would we be looking at a different outcome? Obviously, they play the games for a reason and anything could happen. We’ve seen it happen with Ohio State before losing to Iowa and Purdue. But in this year, you have to play the hand you’re dealt. Ohio State did that. I get it, I’m biased and maybe it’s blinding me. I just feel like if we all agree Ohio State is one of 4 best teams, they should be in. 

19 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

That's the thing. Grant would be beside himself if OSU was on the verge of 10-1 (or better) and a 5-0 or 6-0 team could potentially get a better seed or even take OSU's spot in the CFP. 

I don’t know how I’d be. There’s no precedent here. I’d fight for my team just like you would. If they were universally accepted as one of the 4 best teams and everyone thought they were better than the 5-0/6-0 team, then I feel like it’s a different argument. Nobody that I’ve seen thinks anyone ranked behind Ohio State is better than Ohio State. I’m not complaining about Clemson being ahead of us right now despite their one loss. They are ahead because they’ve played more games. I’m ok with that because we all feel they are comparable teams.