Michigan and Ohio State Canceled

TheDeuce

38 minutes ago, bugatti said:

I'm all for the decision they made. But their hand wasn't forced; the rules were in place for this. It was forced because OSU is really good. Let's put it this way. Say OSU had played IU and won, but did have another loss on their resume and looked pedestrian and ranked in a place they wouldn't make the playoffs, I don't think OSU would be playing Northwestern next week. But, what do I know. We are all speculating here.

I disagree entirely. The rule wasn’t in place for this. The rule was in place to prevent a team that’s undefeated from dodging a team to preserve their spot. That was the spirit of the rule in a nutshell. That didn’t occur, nor do I think it would have occurred anyways. This was just clearly a situation that they were too dumb to think about as a possibility when they made the rule. Their idiots. This is twice now they have had to go back on their dumb ideas. At least this time there won’t be negative consequences. But think OSU is still playing NW this weekend even with a loss to someone not named Indiana. I don’t think they made this decision because it was OSU. I just think it was the right decision. The decision is made better because it’s OSU and the money OSU would get for making the playoff is divided evenly amongst all 14 schools, but that wasn’t the reasoning behind the decision. Honestly anyone that feels that way is giving WAY too much credit to the B1G. Ohio State doesn’t own the B1G. The B1G is still run by the elites at Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota. Ohio State doesn’t have any pull in decision making despite the fact that they clearly should because if it wasn’t for Ohio State the conference would be no better than the PAC 12. 

So the first 3 or so threads was basically OSU should be in, Kevin Warren and the B1G brass, dropped the ball.

B1G changes the rule they created on the fly a few months ago, to let the undefeated #4 team into the conference title game, who would have went to the title game even if we had lost to Michigan this week.

Out comes the detractors lol.  Hate is a lack of imagination.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

So the first 3 or so threads was basically OSU should be in, Kevin Warren and the B1G brass, dropped the ball.

B1G changes the rule they created on the fly a few months ago, to let the undefeated #4 team into the conference title game, who would have went to the title game even if we had lost to Michigan this week.

Out comes the detractors lol.  Hate is a lack of imagination.

Manufacturing hate is lazy. 

Everyone here agrees the rule was stupid. Some think they should have stuck to their own rules. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Just now, TheDeuce said:

Everyone here agrees the rule was stupid. Some think they should have stuck to their own rules. Nothing more, nothing less. 

There’s zero reason to stick to the rule. That’s the point. 

Just now, GrantNKY said:

There’s zero reason to stick to the rule. That’s the point. 

I'm just saying... You act like it's ridiculous anyone could take issue with them changing the rule. I don't care that they did it, but I can at least understand why some people would. 

47 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I'm just saying... You act like it's ridiculous anyone could take issue with them changing the rule. I don't care that they did it, but I can at least understand why some people would. 

Because it is ridiculous Deuce. Anyone that’s upset about a 4 month old, stupid rule being changed in the middle of a pandemic when rules change literally every day, clearly has a huge bias. Obviously this doesn’t apply to you, but I’ve been arguing with my SEC friends all day about it. They are outraged. They are calling for the SEC to automatically award Bama the conference championship as the only undefeated team and have A&M and Florida play again so they can make sure 2 teams get in. These are the idiots I’m dealing with haha Unfortunately for the rest of college football, SEC fans are all idiots and their voices are louder than everyone else. If you can’t tell, it’s been a long day. Didn’t get much work done. Haha 

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

I know where to find the Amazon of OSU hate at any given moment.

It’s all good though, hate never wins and brought us Justin Fields.

I would have loved to been a fly on the wall hearing the B1G brain trust establish the initial "six game" requirement rule.

"Ok, boys. If we are going to make this happen, let's schedule everyone to play at least 8 games."

"Make sense. While not a full tilt of games, it is reputable when you consider we normally play an extra conference game in most seasons compared to 'other' conferences."

(laughter throughout the unmasked boardroom)

"Do we need to put in any cushion to complete these 8 games? I mean, we are in the deadliest pandemic in decades. That'll allow us to reshuffle some things."

"Hell no. 8 games in 8 weeks. All in favor, Aye."

"Aye."

"Ok, well, do we put in a caveat if you are forced to cancel any games, we should set a minimum amount of games you have to play?"

"6? No way on Earth will a team be forced to cancel more than 3 games. It's impossible. Never mind the St. Louis Cardinals are scheduled for about two weeks of double-headers right now to make up for all of their lost games; and frankly, if it does happen, that team simply doesn't make it. All in favor for 6 games, Aye."

"Aye."

"Any other weird scenario we are missing? Leaving out any other outcome we are not thinking of?"

"What if Michigan goes undefeated?"

(uncontrollable laughter)

• Like 2

I'm not really a fan of either school, but as a college football fan, I'm sad to see it cancelled this year. Despite having no rooting interest, Ohio State vs. Michigan was always must see tv every fall. I especially loved the afternoon kickoffs. I can vividly remember Tim Biakabutuka tearing up the Buckeyes for over 300 yards and outshining eventual Heisman winner Eddie George in 1995. 

Another fond memory was this scene at the Shoe...

i.jpeg.8c57d52fe5f37570f176c636d351c839.jpeg

... at the conclusion of #1 vs. #2 in 2006. So many great games and players in this rivalry spanning many, many generations. It truly is the best rivalry in college football, if not all of team sports.

Covid may have won the battle this year, but it won't win the war. The spirit of "The Game" will endure.

• Like 1