Michigan and Ohio State Canceled

TheDeuce

41 minutes ago, Run To State said:

Good to see money still trumps integrity in the NCAA...

Simple question...what difference would it have made if Ohio State played someone/anyone this weekend?  With regards to the Big Ten Championship game...absolutely nothing.  It wouldn't have mattered if they won OR lost...they had the tie breaker in head-to-head against Indiana.  In short, OSU clinched the Big Ten East conference title with their win against Michigan State last weekend.  So, forcing them to play someone this weekend really wouldn't have achieved anything.  And that's all this committee (the AD's) could decide on.

It may very well come back to haunt the Buckeyes in the playoff invitational, if a certain series of things occur.  But, the committee wasn't ruling on that.

1 hour ago, Run To State said:

Good to see money still trumps integrity in the NCAA...

Umm what? Putting Ohio State in upholds the integrity of the B1G? You can’t seriously believe that putting in a team that Ohio State beat shows more integrity right? I mean if Ohio State had played this weekend and lost, they would meet the 6 game requirement and still would have gotten in. It literally doesn’t matter and this is the only logical solution to this. Anything to the contrary is literally just pure hatred of Ohio State. 

Just now, GrantNKY said:

What other explanation could there be for people being upset about the B1G’s decision on this? 

Because the B1G established a rule that you had to play six games to be eligible for the B1G Championship game. OSU does not meet that threshold. They changed the rule to put OSU in because they are the biggest draw and need OSU in the CFP. Why make the rule if you're just going to change it?

2 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Because the B1G established a rule that you had to play six games to be eligible for the B1G Championship game. OSU does not meet that threshold. They changed the rule to put OSU in because they are the biggest draw and need OSU in the CFP. Why make the rule if you're just going to change it?

They didn’t change the rule for OSU. They changed the rule because Ohio State beat Indiana. If Ohio State had loss to Michigan this weekend, they’d still be in over Indiana. So Ohio State would have been better off playing a game and losing than they would have not playing the game? That doesn’t make any sense to me. The rule was a horrible rule to begin with just like basically everything the B1G has done all year. This is the first time they have made a decision that actually makes sense. 

1 minute ago, GrantNKY said:

They didn’t change the rule for OSU. They changed the rule because Ohio State beat Indiana. If Ohio State had loss to Michigan this weekend, they’d still be in over Indiana. So Ohio State would have been better off playing a game and losing than they would have not playing the game? That doesn’t make any sense to me. The rule was a horrible rule to begin with just like basically everything the B1G has done all year. This is the first time they have made a decision that actually makes sense. 

OSU is not eligible per the (I agree) stupid rule they put in. 

OSU is the best team in the B1G, nobody can deny that (even the "haters").

They changed the rule so OSU could play in the title game. All of these things can be true. 

3 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

And honestly, I don't think people would have had an issue had they said this. I get they have to straddle the line with their statement.

The year is whacky, but there is something to be said about competitive balance when the other three teams in the playoffs will have probably played 11 games and OSU (presumably) will have played 6. Who cares though. The whole thing is the Clemson, Alabama, and OSU invitational.

2 minutes ago, bugatti said:

And honestly, I don't think people would have had an issue had they said this. I get they have to straddle the line with their statement.

The year is whacky, but there is something to be said about competitive balance when the other three teams in the playoffs will have probably played 11 games and OSU (presumably) will have played 6. Who cares though. The whole thing is the Clemson, Alabama, and OSU invitational.

It was stupid to even make that rule in the first place, considering the uncertainty of the season. They put themselves in this position, again. The B1G has botched this season about as bad as you can from a PR standpoint. 

1 minute ago, TheDeuce said:

It was stupid to even make that rule in the first place, considering the uncertainty of the season. They put themselves in this position, again. The B1G has botched this season about as bad as you can from a PR standpoint. 

Yep.

21 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

OSU is not eligible per the (I agree) stupid rule they put in. 

OSU is the best team in the B1G, nobody can deny that (even the "haters").

They changed the rule so OSU could play in the title game. All of these things can be true. 

I agree with everything you posted. I’m not sure what the issue is then? 😂 So you agree there’s no reason to be upset about the decision?