Michigan and Ohio State Canceled

TheDeuce

16 minutes ago, bugatti said:

So will Northwestern take off this week so they can get their extra week to prepare?

If Northwestern wants to they cancel and Ohio State can play Illinois. That’s pretty much what I wanted anyways. This whole playing every other week thing is driving me crazy. 

Just now, GrantNKY said:

I agree with everything you posted. I’m not sure what the issue is then? 😂 So you agree there’s no reason to be upset about the decision? 

I can understand why some would take issue with it. I don't personally, but I get it. My point is that someone taking issue with the B1G going back on their own rule doesn't make that person an Ohio State hater. 

3 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I can understand why some would take issue with it. I don't personally, but I get it. My point is that someone taking issue with the B1G going back on their own rule doesn't make that person an Ohio State hater. 

I don’t see it any other way. Anyone complaining about it has to present a logical reason why OSU shouldn’t be there. I have yet to see a good reason as to why they shouldn’t be there, but have seen a lot of people saying they shouldn’t. It seems like illogical hatred to me. Haha 

Just now, GrantNKY said:

The only teams that were “eligible” were teams that OSU beat. That’s not a logical argument especially if you agree the rule was horrible to begin with. 

Ohio State wasn't eligible per the rule the B1G made up, stupid or not. I'm not really sure how you think that is illogical. 

We all agree, the rule was stupid. 

30 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

It was stupid to even make that rule in the first place, considering the uncertainty of the season. They put themselves in this position, again. The B1G has botched this season about as bad as you can from a PR standpoint. 

Yes, the B1G screwed the pooch on this one entirely.  However, I think the intentions of the original rule was to address a situation where you could have a team that's 5-1 or even 6-1 be technically behind a team that's 4-0 or 5-0.  You didn't want a team to have the ability to duck a game (or two, or three) just to preserve their first place position, especially if they'd lose a tie-breaker.  That was not the case here.  If OSU had just told Illinois that they forfeited, and taken an L two weeks ago, that'd still put them at 5-1 and ahead of Indiana.  So what difference does it make?

• Like 1

The B1G cancelled their football season under the presumption everyone would follow suit. Nobody else did, and suddenly new medical evidence and testing protocols surfaced which allowed them to play an abbreviated schedule. $ure.

The B1G set a rule that teams must play six games to be eligible for their conference title game. But, if you have your division clinched, the remaining game(s) on a schedule are not necessary. $ure. 

Even if it is (or not) about money, we all want OSU playing in the B1G title game and playoffs because, let's be honest, they are the only big boy program in the B1G.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bugatti said:

The B1G cancelled their football season under the presumption everyone would follow suit. Nobody else did, and suddenly new medical evidence and testing protocols surfaced which allowed them to play an abbreviated schedule. $ure.

The B1G set a rule that teams must play six games to be eligible for their conference title game. But, if you have your division clinched, the remaining game(s) on a schedule are not necessary. $ure. 

Even if it is (or not) about money, we all want OSU playing in the B1G title game and playoffs because, let's be honest, they are the only big boy program in the B1G.

Does OSU winning the B1G and making the playoffs help the rest of the conference financially? Without a doubt. Would they have made this decision if Ohio State hadn’t played Indiana? No chance. In this case it’s not about money, it’s about making a very clear and obvious decision that everyone should agree with. I don’t understand the outrage at all. 

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

Ohio State wasn't eligible per the rule the B1G made up, stupid or not. I'm not really sure how you think that is illogical. 

We all agree, the rule was stupid. 

The outrage is illogical. If we all agree that the rule was dumb, then what are we even talking about? This was the only decision they could have made. 

10 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

Does OSU winning the B1G and making the playoffs help the rest of the conference financially? Without a doubt. Would they have made this decision if Ohio State hadn’t played Indiana? No chance. In this case it’s not about money, it’s about making a very clear and obvious decision that everyone should agree with. I don’t understand the outrage at all. 

It is ironic you rail on the B1G decision makers, but you give them the benefit of the doubt with this one. 😉 All cool, though.

Let's pretend IU had yet to play OSU. I think the argument would have been, "by virtue of OSU being the highest ranked team in the latest rankings, OSU will be deemed winner of their division and be in the B1G title game." And I would have been fine with that decision, too. College football has a much longer tradition of applying arbitrariness than it does making "fair" decisions. 

Just now, bugatti said:

It is ironic you rail on the B1G decision makers, but you give them the benefit of the doubt with this one. 😉 All cool, though.

Let's pretend IU had yet to play OSU. I think the argument would have been, "by virtue of OSU being the highest ranked team in the latest rankings, OSU will be deemed winner of their division and be in the B1G title game." And I would have been fine with that decision, too. College football has a much longer tradition of applying arbitrariness than it does making "fair" decisions. 

I don’t think they would have done that. I think they would have kept Indiana in as the only “eligible” team. The B1G sucks and this is literally the only good decision they have made. Bad people can be right every once in a while. In this case their hand was forced and they had no other choice. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

I don’t think they would have done that. I think they would have kept Indiana in as the only “eligible” team. The B1G sucks and this is literally the only good decision they have made. Bad people can be right every once in a while. In this case their hand was forced and they had no other choice. 

I'm all for the decision they made. But their hand wasn't forced; the rules were in place for this. It was forced because OSU is really good. Let's put it this way. Say OSU had played IU and won, but did have another loss on their resume and looked pedestrian and ranked in a place they wouldn't make the playoffs, I don't think OSU would be playing Northwestern next week. But, what do I know. We are all speculating here.