Michigan and Ohio State Canceled

TheDeuce

6 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

I just feel like if we all agree Ohio State is one of 4 best teams, they should be in. 

This isn't about the CFP, it's about the B1G Championship game. I already said once, I think OSU could get in even without playing in the conference title game. 

8 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

This isn't about the CFP, it's about the B1G Championship game. I already said once, I think OSU could get in even without playing in the conference title game. 

So you’d rather someone else win the B1G without Ohio State even playing in it? 

18 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

I agree 100% on the B1G incompetence. I don’t see the B1G incompetence as getting rewarded. If the B1G played a 10 game season, realistically would we be looking at a different outcome? Obviously, they play the games for a reason and anything could happen. We’ve seen it happen with Ohio State before losing to Iowa and Purdue. But in this year, you have to play the hand you’re dealt. Ohio State did that. I get it, I’m biased and maybe it’s blinding me. I just feel like if we all agree Ohio State is one of 4 best teams, they should be in. 

To your question, we have no idea. 4-5 games is a lot more of an opportunity for something to go haywire, endure injuries, and simply not be on your game one afternoon. I think it was SVP or someone on his show that stated it best a few years back: "College football happens." Ironically I think they were talking about OSU in 2015, just after their title when they were a "lock" to make the playoffs with a loaded roster. Half the battle is making it. And this year that 1/2 battle is not as rigorous. That's just the reality of it.

26 minutes ago, bugatti said:

To your question, we have no idea. 4-5 games is a lot more of an opportunity for something to go haywire, endure injuries, and simply not be on your game one afternoon. I think it was SVP or someone on his show that stated it best a few years back: "College football happens." Ironically I think they were talking about OSU in 2015, just after their title when they were a "lock" to make the playoffs with a loaded roster. Half the battle is making it. And this year that 1/2 battle is not as rigorous. That's just the reality of it.

I understand your point. But the goal of the committee is stated simply as, put the best 4 teams in. They have criteria they use to help determine that, but at the end of the day they don’t have to provide reasoning for it beyond this is what we feel. I don’t disagree that playing 4 or 5 more games opens up the potential for something to happen to Ohio State. But that’s not the committees job. 

1 hour ago, GrantNKY said:

I mean if the B1G kept that rule, 3-5 Michigan State would be playing in the B1G championship game this weekend. 

If that is what the rule dictated, then that is what should have happened. Do I want to see MSU (3-5) in the championship game? No. Does anybody who is not a fan of Sparty? No. Does the B1G? B1G NO, but that is the bed that they made at the beginning of the year and they should have to lay in it. It isn't a shot against OSU at all. As you said, OSU could and probably would still get in the CFP even without playing in the game because the committee determines who makes it on their own criteria. The B1G should have had to abide by their own stupid rule and looked stupid for doing it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tones said:

If that is what the rule dictated, then that is what should have happened. Do I want to see MSU (3-5) in the championship game? No. Does anybody who is not a fan of Sparty? No. Does the B1G? B1G NO, but that is the bed that they made at the beginning of the year and they should have to lay in it. It isn't a shot against OSU at all. As you said, OSU could and probably would still get in the CFP even without playing in the game because the committee determines who makes it on their own criteria. The B1G should have had to abide by their own stupid rule and looked stupid for doing it.

We all agree the B1G should be embarrassed. I think they still reserve the right to change their rules as they see fit. This is the only good decision they have made throughout all of it. The optics are bad because they made the rule to begin with but it’s not like the rule was unfair to anyone. Every B1G president had to sign off in order to do this. They admitted they screwed up and they fixed it. No teams were harmed in the making of this decision. 

29 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

How many times have we seen a team look fantastic and be undefeated only to lose in game 6, 7, 8? 

2015 10-0 #2 OSU lost to #9 MSU

2016 6-0 #2 OSU lost to unranked Penn St.

2017 7-1 #3 OSU lost to unranked Iowa

2018 7-0 #2 OSU lost to unranked Purdue

1 minute ago, GrantNKY said:

How many times have we seen a pandemic like Covid in our lifetime? 

OSU also has themselves to blame on only 5 games played. Most Big 10 teams played 7 or 8 games.

Unfortunate for sure that others also contributed to only 5 games played for OSU but it is their own fault they only got 5 games in.