Bowling Green at Covington Catholic Predictions/Updates (5A Semifinals)

Who wins?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Bowling Green
    • Covington Catholic

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/11/2020 at 11:00 PM

1 hour ago, PhenomxX said:

Defense wins championships, and BG has one of the best in the state. Playmakers at all three levels. (Knee, Gurley, Lightsfoot) (Jones at LB) (Bert/Augustine/Rainville/Burwash). Also Bowling Green's offense has hit its stride, with Cooper playing with more confidence than ever. I don't see Michael Mayer on this year's roster for Cov Cath (He was a nightmare last year!) Purples need to play physical in order to match up with the size of Cov Cath. The long bus ride is always something to factor in, especially in high school. So the Purples must prepare well and come into this game to avoid a similar game as last year. Good luck to both squads, it'll be a good one!

BG: 34

Covington Catholic: 17

Might just be me, but long bus rides were my favorite.  I specifically remember the ride to Fern Creek in 2016, there’s something charming about it.  By the time you arrive you’re more than ready to go.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Killowatt59 said:

I haven't seen anyone charging. Not to say it's not happening but it's definitely in the way minority.

My bigger issue is not letting a local station do a video broadcast of the game. Every single one of BGs opponents this year has let the local broadcast do video. Trinity, which is a private catholic school, had no issue with it. St. X, which is a private catholic school had no issue with it.  They didn't even charge the local radio a fee. 

And before we go down that road I'm catholic, my mom taught at a Catholic school. I know how the entire system works 

I thought at the very least if you want to be greedy about it, charge the local radio station a reasonable fee to do a video broadcast. But nope!

Corbin charged $20 for the Beechwood game and would not allow Beechwood to broadcast the game. My understanding is that they were charging all season. They may or may not have eventually reduced the broadcast price...I dunno.

Beechwood had had a video broadcast and has not allowed visiting teams to have their own broadcast. They are charging $15.

Once Belfry got their video equipment situated for their final three games, they charged $37.10 for the season. That figures to $12.36 per game. They did not allow visiting teams to broadcast.

Pikeville charged $24 per month, and never had more than 2 home games in a month. So that figures to $12 per game. They did not allow visiting teams to broadcast.

Boyle County charges to watch the game live and then allows free replays of the game once the game is over. I don't know how much they charge, but they do not allow visiting teams to broadcast.

I can't recall which (it wasn't LCA or Lex Cath), but I recall seeing that PrepSpin set up a pay-per-view broadcast system for one of the high school football programs in Kentucky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think what the issue with the streaming comes down to is the difference in regions of the state.  

Western KY doesn't charge for video streaming if they have it.

Louisville has several teams on the NFHS network as @TheDeuce said.

NKY they charge for it.

Now in the semi-finals you have regions mixing where things are going to be different.

While I do think the cost for the video is too high, I also think CovCath has the right to charge it AND provide a Quality Product, which I'm told they provide.

Onward...

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Just because the CovCath community thinks "when did $15 become a lot of money" doesn't mean that's the way of the world. This reeks of privilege. 

You know better than to take one poster's opinion and take that to become the way the community feels. I'm sure some feel that way and some don't. 

28 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I can get an NFHS membership for a month for $9.99. That's access to hundreds of schools across the country, numerous sports. Why would I ever pay $15 for ONE game, especially as a casual observer?

The issue isn't that they are charging, I don't think anybody has an issue with that. $15 is twice what it should cost. They are pricing out people that would buy the feed, IMO. 

It's weird for sure, but not new.

I know with WWE, they still sell the individual Pay Per Views for something like $60 per month.  But you can watch every Pay Per View, plus get all of WWE's content, for $10 if you subscribe to the WWE Network.  

25 minutes ago, Killowatt59 said:

Well it's more of a principle thing. Plus when it's been free all year and then it goes from free to $15 that's a big jump.

Also the bigger issue is excluding the local video broadcast. That's the problem.

CCH has been $15 all year. This is the first year they’ve even done a video broadcast. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Killowatt59 said:

I haven't seen anyone charging. Not to say it's not happening but it's definitely in the way minority.

My bigger issue is not letting a local station do a video broadcast of the game. Every single one of BGs opponents this year has let the local broadcast do video. Trinity, which is a private catholic school, had no issue with it. St. X, which is a private catholic school had no issue with it.  They didn't even charge the local radio a fee. 

And before we go down that road I'm catholic, my mom taught at a Catholic school. I know how the entire system works 

I thought at the very least if you want to be greedy about it, charge the local radio station a reasonable fee to do a video broadcast. But nope!

St. X both had a large donation/sponsorship come in from a senior VP at Baird that handled the money lost at the gate for the year, which is why they have had free video broadcasts and haven't been concerned about allowing visiting teams to have their own broadcasts. My understanding is that Trinity had the same thing happen with a large donation/sponsorship.

As the child of a Catholic school teacher, I'll assume you understand how that works.

Just now, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

St. X both had a large donation/sponsorship come in from a senior VP at Baird that handled the money lost at the gate for the year, which is why they have had free video broadcasts and haven't been concerned about allowing visiting teams to have their own broadcasts. My understanding is that Trinity had the same thing happen with a large donation/sponsorship.

As the child of a Catholic school teacher, I'll assume you understand how that works.

I'm not going down that road. But the points in your post are irrelevant and doesn't show most of the full picture.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

My points were in direct response to what you said. If they are irrelevant, then logically that means everything you've been saying is irrelevant.

No sir. But implying CC is hurting for money is just being dishonest. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Randy Parker said:

It's weird for sure, but not new.

I know with WWE, they still sell the individual Pay Per Views for something like $60 per month.  But you can watch every Pay Per View, plus get all of WWE's content, for $10 if you subscribe to the WWE Network.  

WWE is a professional sports entity. 

Thought we might get back to football between 2 very good teams!

Calpreps right now has it BG 20 - CovCath 14 on a neutral field as I understand it.  So that is a very close game.

To me, for Covington Catholic QB Caleb Jacob needs to be as good as he was last year.  He was 16 for 24 for 240 yards, 3 TDs and 1 INT.  Pretty darn good!  From the talk on the board, it would appear that CovCath also has some injuries they are dealing with.  How are they progressing based on @bluecolonels95 post on page 2 I think?

For the Purples, they gained only 58 yards on the ground last year and that obviously didn't get it done.  They are averaging 150 yards a game.  Can the Purples gain their average or more on Friday night?  QB Conner Cooper is playing well, if the passing game doesn't prove fruitful, he is blessed with terrific running abilty to support the BG offensive attack.

How many yards to you see BG rushing for on Friday?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Killowatt59 said:

Multiple people did, including you with your post.

Explain to me how I implied that Cov Cath is hurting for money. Thus far in this thread, I had the first post, which talked exclusively about football teams, then I had a post where I listed other teams that have pay-per-view game broadcasts and don't allow visiting teams to have a broadcast at the game, and then I had a post where I explained how St. X & Trinity have received large donations to help cover lost gate money. Didn't even mention Cov Cath in the second and third post.

Your intellect is dizzying.