Basketball 2020-21

Just don't understand how a mandate could/would effect private gyms outside of the direct oversight of the KHSAA but exclude collegiate gyms.  Maybe there is an exception for them because they can test.  Also interested how this will effect fan attendance at the games that are allowing them, i.e. UK.  Mr. Frakes stated that KHSAA would have guidance soon in regards to practice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kellymt75 said:

Just don't understand how a mandate could/would effect private gyms outside of the direct oversight of the KHSAA but exclude collegiate gyms.  Maybe there is an exception for them because they can test.  Also interested how this will effect fan attendance at the games that are allowing them, i.e. UK.  Mr. Frakes stated that KHSAA would have guidance soon in regards to practice.

This does not impact college basketball, just like it didn’t impact college football in the state a few months ago. Colleges have the resources to test their players multiple times a week, and with classes all online, they can practically keep them in a bubble. High schools simply don’t have the resources to do so.

To keep the Sweet 16 in March because of “tradition” and to accommodate spring sports is idiotic. We have to be real here and admit that basketball is the bloodline financially for the KHSAA. Playing the Sweet 16 in May, like Tackett originally proposed, would allow for no conflict with SEC/NCAA tournament, being the only “show in town”, a likely vaccine available to most which leads to full capacity, gives you the opportunity to have a MASSIVE crowd. That gives the association a chance to make more money; money they desperately need. 

Julian said it is possible to play spring sports into July if needed. Spring could still have a full season even with basketball going into May and still only have the normal 3-4 week overlap between winter and spring sports. 
Today was a missed opportunity to help the KHSAA make some much needed money with a May Sweet 16 that would ultimately benefit all KHSAA sports. I hope the Board, particularly Darrell Billings and Mark Evans, realize that blown opportunity. 

• Like 5

Just as Julian was vocal against the thought of starting on December 14th, I thought that he could have done a better job of steering the group toward the January-May window.  

There just seemed to be too much sentiment towards preserving the spring sports season intact.

11 hours ago, Brax said:

To keep the Sweet 16 in March because of “tradition” and to accommodate spring sports is idiotic. We have to be real here and admit that basketball is the bloodline financially for the KHSAA. Playing the Sweet 16 in May, like Tackett originally proposed, would allow for no conflict with SEC/NCAA tournament, being the only “show in town”, a likely vaccine available to most which leads to full capacity, gives you the opportunity to have a MASSIVE crowd. That gives the association a chance to make more money; money they desperately need. 

Julian said it is possible to play spring sports into July if needed. Spring could still have a full season even with basketball going into May and still only have the normal 3-4 week overlap between winter and spring sports. 
Today was a missed opportunity to help the KHSAA make some much needed money with a May Sweet 16 that would ultimately benefit all KHSAA sports. I hope the Board, particularly Darrell Billings and Mark Evans, realize that blown opportunity. 

You summed my thoughts up perfectly.

Commissioner Tackett had the "perfect plan" from where I sit and I blame Mark Evans for being the ringleader of a bad decision for Kentucky High School Basketball. 

8 hours ago, Mustang said:

Just as Julian was vocal against the thought of starting on December 14th, I thought that he could have done a better job of steering the group toward the January-May window.  

There just seemed to be too much sentiment towards preserving the spring sports season intact.

I agree Mustang.

My take on Commissioner Tackett was one of "subdued exasperation." 

I think some of the board members were too self absorbed with their own interests and failed to pick up what the Commish was putting down.  Disappointing for sure...

• Like 3

Aren't all practices suspended after tomorrow anyway? I have to imagine JCPS is responding in part at least, to the numbers reported yesterday, and attempting to curtail any future issues. School administration is not a job I want any part of at this time. 

Regarding my first question, I don't believe I've seen whether this is 5pm EST or CST or local time. Just looking for clarification on that.

On 11/19/2020 at 2:34 AM, Mustang said:

As a parent of a spring sport athlete, I appreciate them trying to not have them miss two seasons.  Those kids missed an entire season, not playoffs, or late start or abbreviated season.  None at all.  Pushing it into July is a complete no go.  1) for baseball and softball that is club season 2) as I found out with my senior last year by the time June and July rolled through no one cared anymore about proms and graduations.  I can't imagine graduating seniors would care about games in June unless it was the state championship.  I also have a basketball player who is super excited to play and I understand the need for cash influx, but you can't sacrifice the spring kids again.  Heck even the basketball kids probably don't want to play in spring because that cuts into AAU.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cardinalalum said:

Hopefully they can get the All "A" in I know Julian said he was working with them on it. Even with the push back for fall sports they got it in.

It's going to be tough on some schools, depending upon what their original schedule looked like.    Schools that had many required district games in December have a lot of juggling to do.    Some schools also have mandatory "conference" games to play, which makes the All A suddenly a big scheduling headache.

Something, somewhere, may have to give.   Some options are more palatable / workable than others....

Eliminating district seeding games would seem to be off the table, except for districts requiring home-and-home matchups....perhaps those revert this year to a single game between each team.

Ditto for the conference games.....those that require home-and-home might be able to reduce the footprint on the schedule by dropping to single games between teams.

The schools' abilities to juggle those district and conference games will likely have an impact upon whether the All A can be saved this year.

CM

With Julian dangling the first week in May state tournament scenario out there at the meeting, I'm thinking that he will not hesitate to further delay the startup of the regular season, with the May option in his back pocket.

I further believe that he will do everything possible to maximize ticket sales potential at a state tournament.  Go back to the priorities as they were stated at the meeting.  1) To provide each sport a portion of a season.  2)  The have a "culminating" event for each sport.  

His answer to the question raised about spring sports losing a player or two was very telling as to his priorities.  He answered, "Too Bad!!!"