Basketball 2020-21

There’ll probably be a season but not many fans allowed in the stands. It’s an indoor sport and my guess is the percentages of people allowed inside will be lower than what football permits. The season may not start until January as well, in which time there may be some vaccines available. 

3 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I think multiple vaccines and antibody treatments will be available in December with rolling out more production after that so I think there will be a season but fans maybe limited initially. 

I applaud the optimism. However, with the FDA guidelines being restated that no approval will happen until at least 2 months after the end of a trial, I don't see any way there will be a vaccine this year. 

It doesn't mean there can't be a basketball season.  With it being an indoor sport I have doubts about what they will allow on spectators.

I'm not sure why we can't use volleyball as a benchmark for what basketball may look like.  As of now the first day of practice is 10/26 with games scheduled to begin the week of Thanksgiving.  I don't see them allowing fewer spectators at basketball games than volleyball games.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ConverseAllStar said:

I'm not sure why we can't use volleyball as a benchmark for what basketball may look like.  As of now the first day of practice is 10/26 with games scheduled to begin the week of Thanksgiving.  I don't see them allowing fewer spectators at basketball games than volleyball games.

What are the spectator rules for volleyball?

On 10/7/2020 at 1:54 PM, Voice of Reason said:

I applaud the optimism. However, with the FDA guidelines being restated that no approval will happen until at least 2 months after the end of a trial, I don't see any way there will be a vaccine this year. 

It doesn't mean there can't be a basketball season.  With it being an indoor sport I have doubts about what they will allow on spectators.

They said patients should be followed for two months after receiving vaccine. Moderna said today they will apply for EUA at end of November. Pfizer I believe is a little ahead of them so probably early November for them. The key is how fast people in trial accumulate covid cases which shouldn’t be long with 50,000 cases a day nationwide. Will take some time to get out to general public though which might not be until February. Antibody treatments from Eli Lilly and Regeneron have been submitted for EUA and production of those will ramp up after 1st of year. I’m definitely optimistic for the back half of basketball season.

• Like 2

I have said it before that schools should be thinking outside the box and start getting streaming equipment to stream games so all the grandparents and the ones  that cant get tickets ...we have to think about all the SRs that's gonna be missing out on the spotlight they have been working hard for and be playing in empty gyms this year can be different but its free to stream on facebook it could be a great revenue  stream for athletics too as sponsors would hop on the cause. But I don't think this year should be cancelled but just make adujustments a lot of SRs of class of 2020 missed out on their opportunity to have a change to win a title some didn't get to go play ball in college and these SRs cant be seen if schools don't help out to get them noticed coaches isn't recruiting in person don't even know if that even allowed anymore we just have to adapt to change and pray it gets better so the kids can play    

• Like 1

On 10/7/2020 at 2:10 PM, Voice of Reason said:

What are the spectator rules for volleyball?

I have attended over a dozen VB games and some allowed 3 tickets per participant, but most have been 2!

Should add this is region 9.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I was surprised the KHSAA is attempting to play a full schedule. A really expected the season to be cut to 15~ games and begin those games January 1.

Probably banking on there will be cancellations.  So you set out for a full season but some teams might get 1/2.

• Like 2

On 10/15/2020 at 9:26 PM, maysvilleky said:

Probably banking on there will be cancellations.  So you set out for a full season but some teams might get 1/2.

There should be the option to reschedule with another school that had a game cancelled.  Similar to football.  If 2 schools lost a game due to their opponent being out for Covid, they could possibly find a replacement game.  It would help to get more games in.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...