Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

2 minutes ago, Randy Parker said:

I got Pfizer, but not the booster.  I honestly didn't know it was available for non-at-risk people. 

I did all mine through Walgreen’s. I had to fill out the form again but they didn’t ask if I was any of the groups that got it early the first time.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

You hit on the main thought I had. Compliance would have been dramatically higher. We would have reached 80% vaccinated in months. At 80% vaccinated, probably 200,000 lives are saved? 

You may be right on the number who would have been vaccinated.  But, along the same point BWF pointed out with regards to medical care improving over that time, the same could be said for the scientific community as well.  Would we have even had a vaccine by now?  A lot has happened over 40 years.  Some good, some bad.

35 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

You may be right on the number who would have been vaccinated.  But, along the same point BWF pointed out with regards to medical care improving over that time, the same could be said for the scientific community as well.  Would we have even had a vaccine by now?  A lot has happened over 40 years.  Some good, some bad.

My point is very simple. The change in attitude in this country killed 200,000 people.  And people continue to die on a daily basis because of that.

• Like 1

Any mention, discussion, and media regarding politics or political figures is expressly prohibited on BluegrassPreps. This includes, but is not limited to the mention or names of any elected or publicly appointed officials, both domestic and foreign, by name, title, or by the offices held (e.g. - president, governor, chancellor, mayor, minister, senator, congressman, commissioner, attorney general, county clerk, magistrate, Beshear, Clinton, Lincoln, Merkel, Obama, Putin, Reagan, Roosevelt, Trudeau, Trump, etc). Any direct references or inferences to political terminology and activities, (e.g. - government, Democrat, Republican, GOP, conservative, liberal, campaign, lobby, legislature, filibuster, caucus, etc) and anything else deemed political in nature by the BGP staff is also prohibited from the site. Likewise, this also includes 3rd party links to articles that are political in name or in nature. Additionally, the use of names/nicknames deemed by the BGP staff as references to political figures (e.g. - Andy, Donald, Tricky Dick, Slick Willy) will not be permitted on BluegrassPreps.

Keeping in mind BGP's core purpose as a sports-discussion community, discussion of the the managing bodies specifically serving over high school, college, amateur, and professional sports leagues (KHSAA, NCAA, IOC, MLB, MLS, NBA, NFL et al), along with the officers, officials and the titles held by the individuals within those organizations is permitted on BGP. Similarly, high school and college/university administrators and officials, when discussed in a strictly non-political manner, are all permissible on BGP.

6 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

My point is very simple. The change in attitude in this country killed 200,000 people.  And people continue to die on a daily basis because of that.

My point (I won't speak for BWF) is...based upon your original question of if it had happened 40 years ago...is that, while the trust in the media/etc. may have been higher at that time (and thus, made it more likely that people would get the vaccine), you would also have to negate any advancement in science and medicine made over the past 4 decades as well.

So, yes...your second statement with regards to the change in attitude killing 200,000 may very well true.  But who knows, with the early 1980's status...we may have never been able to develop a vaccine, or even just a rapid test, by the time when we got them in the past 20 months.  And that may have led to even more people dying.

There are lots of potential contributing factors as to whether or not it would have been better/worse 40 years ago.  We (as a society) were less "mobile" back then, so maybe it wouldn't have spread as fast.  On the other hand, people would've been less likely to be able to work/school from home back then, so they'd be forced into being around other people...so maybe it spreads even faster.  Maybe there were more hospitals back then, so there'd be more places for people to get treatment earlier.  But, then again, the PPE wasn't at the same level, so maybe more of our frontline workers get infected and taken out, leading to drastic understaffing.

Going back in time is a double-edged sword.  Can't take the good, without the bad.  That's my point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Kentucky Windage said:

Too, people have gotten fatter and are as lazy in anytime in human history. Being out of shape and carrying the unneeded extra body weight around is bad even without a virus that has a tendency to discriminate against said people. That's also something that has changed from 40 years ago. 

Very true. But, I'd say that more people smoked 40 years ago than they do today.

23 hours ago, Kentucky Windage said:

Too, people have gotten fatter and are as lazy in anytime in human history. Being out of shape and carrying the unneeded extra body weight around is bad even without a virus that has a tendency to discriminate against said people. That's also something that has changed from 40 years ago. 

We’ve had a pandemic of the obese for many decades now.  Without drugs like Glucophage and Lipitor, we’d have similar deaths without the media fear mongering.

• Like 1