I hung out with some Highlands Football Mommies the other night...

theguru

Thanks for clearing that up and I thank you for being a teacher and educator.

You are still missing my point about the teachers protecting him.

When I refer to a teacher, I am specifically talking about those teachers that also happen to be coaches of other sports or football that fall into the buddy system.

Each and every teacher that also happens to be a coach has the ear of the Athletic Director and all coaches that also happen to be a teacher have the ears of principal and other administrators therefore weighing in on and possibly persuading idealism and decision making.

This is my opinion and at Highlands it is coming into play on the decision to retain this football coach.

So would you rather his teacher friends come after him with torches and pitchforks because he's lost a few football games? I have a hard time believing that the football coach is ultimately responsible for the ultimate downfall of the school. I guess I'm glad I am an "outsider", because none of this makes any sense to me.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baseball and basketball have been pretty successful lately. Do they have any academic impact?

Those sports are doing a great job as well as many other at Highlands of impacting both academically and athletically and holding their own.

Just need the cash cow program to get back on track.

To me, the biggest things that stick out about the program are that the kids do not appear to be having "fun" playing the game of football. There is also a reluctance to make any philosophical changes based upon the players currently in the program in preparation for the following year. There are little to no in game adjustments that occur, with the belief that "We are Highlands" and this is what we do. If a kid plays freshman football and then does not come back for varsity competition, nobody goes and finds out why. This is the first year that I can remember that kids were kicked off the team for not coming to practice during the bye week, but yet another kid was permitted to go on vacation with family of girlfriend and miss the first summer scrimmage. Inconsistent treatment and hurts team chemistry. What occurred leading up to the playoff game should never be condoned and that assistant coach should have been shown the door right then and there.

I, as a former player and parent of a player, want to see the discipline restored to the program. If you are not all in, then you are out. There is no "I" in "team" and that goes for the coaches and the players.

To me, the biggest things that stick out about the program are that the kids do not appear to be having "fun" playing the game of football. There is also a reluctance to make any philosophical changes based upon the players currently in the program in preparation for the following year. There are little to no in game adjustments that occur, with the belief that "We are Highlands" and this is what we do. If a kid plays freshman football and then does not come back for varsity competition, nobody goes and finds out why. This is the first year that I can remember that kids were kicked off the team for not coming to practice during the bye week, but yet another kid was permitted to go on vacation with family of girlfriend and miss the first summer scrimmage. Inconsistent treatment and hurts team chemistry. What occurred leading up to the playoff game should never be condoned and that assistant coach should have been shown the door right then and there.

I, as a former player and parent of a player, want to see the discipline restored to the program. If you are not all in, then you are out. There is no "I" in "team" and that goes for the coaches and the players.

Well stated JOAT.

Glad to see that you still have the fire.

Baseball and basketball have been pretty successful lately. Do they have any academic impact?

Let’s not forget the most successful athletic program at Highlands over the last 5 years, the boys and girls soccer programs along with the baseball team. If people are donating only because the programs are winning then that is really sad. People should be donating due to their pride in the school itself. I never went to Highlands but my kids have and I will say that I am very proud of the school and community even if the football team is not winning State Titles.

Edited by STPB
Mistype.

If BW loved this program and had as much passion as he claims he would do the right and honorable thing and step down.

He is no longer capable of leading this program.

Can anything be done to change the mind of people who have jumped off the Weinrich bandwagon?

What talent other than Shearer has left Highlands since BW has been there that would have made an impact? Honest question.

Lost the Hergott kid, fine QB transfer to Beechwood and there has been many many more.

Can’t lose a home grown kid who dad and two brothers played at Highlands.

That was the straw that broke the camels back for me.