I hung out with some Highlands Football Mommies the other night...

theguru

"Man In The Mirror"

I'm gonna make a change

For once in my life

It's gonna feel real good

Gonna make a difference

Gonna make it right

As I turn up the collar on

My favourite winter coat

This wind is blowin' my mind

I see the kids in the street

With not enough to eat

Who am I to be blind

Pretending not to see their needs?

A summer's disregard

A broken bottle top

And a one man's soul

They follow each other on the wind you know

'Cause they got nowhere to go

That's why I want you to know

I'm starting with the man in the mirror

I'm asking him to change his ways

And no message could have been any clearer

If you wanna make the world a better place

Take a look at yourself and then make a change

I've been a victim of

A selfish kind of love

It's time that I realize

That there are some with no home

Not a nickel to loan

Could it be really me

Pretending that they're not alone?

A willow deeply scarred

Somebody's broken heart

And a washed-out dream

(Washed-out dream)

They follow the pattern of the wind

You see

'Cause they got no place to be

That's why I'm starting with me

Take a look at yourself and then make that change

('Cause you better change!)

No message could have been any clearer

Take a look at yourself and then make the change

You gotta get it right

While you got the time

'Cause when you close your heart

You can't close your your mind

(Then you close your mind!)

That man, that man, that man, that man

With that man in the mirror

(Man in the mirror, oh yeah!)

That man, that man, that man

(Better change!)

You know that man

No message could have been any clearer

Gonna feel real good now

Oh, no, oh, no

I'm gonna make a change

It's gonna feel real good

Shamone

Change

Just lift yourself

You know

You've got to stop it yourself

(Yeah! Make that change!)

I've gotta make that change today

(Man in the mirror)

You got to

You got to not let yourself, brother

(Yeah! Make that change!)

You know

I've got to get that man, that man

(Man in the mirror)

You've got to

You've got to move

Come on! Come on

You got to stand up! Stand up! Stand up

(Yeah. Make that change)

Stand up and lift yourself now

(Man in the mirror)

(Yeah. Make that change)

Gonna make that change

Come on

(Man in the mirror)

You know it

You know it

You know it

You know

Change

Make that change

----- Michael Jackson

I guess you have exited this debate. Thanks for your contributions.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure in the specific things being said, but words to describe the situation are “beat down” and “defeated”

One more item to describe the toxicity of the situation. At the banquet every year, a senior or group of seniors talk about their position coach. 2 coaches had nobody that willingly wanted to talk about them.

I appreciate the insight.

Maybe competitive is the wrong word. It just seems to me that playing other talent from around the Tri-state allows you to have a good gauge of what you have. A talented kid from Ft.Mitchell that maybe playing in the Ft.Thomas league as a youth kid does not give you hope that they would be a Bluebird later down the road considering for a while they were not taking tuition students.

I guess you have exited this debate. Thanks for your contributions.

Maybe I misinterpreted what you were asking. My fault. I thought you were asking a life question about change (and I tried to be cute with my response).

Ok...back to the main discussion. I get concerned with I see the word "toxic" being used to describe an environment involving young people. Being consistent with one of my earlier posts, if that is occurring, that is a big warning flag with me. A change in leadership should be considered if the one in charge is not protecting and enriching the people he/she needs to lead. Hopefully, ALL involved act in a mature manner, bringing such situations to the appropriate individuals who in turn listen and respond with the best interests of all involved in mind. I would hope that personal agendas would take a backseat.

Not sure in the specific things being said, but words to describe the situation are “beat down” and “defeated”

One more item to describe the toxicity of the situation. At the banquet every year, a senior or group of seniors talk about their position coach. 2 coaches had nobody that willingly wanted to talk about them.

I am sorry to hear that.

I have zero dog in this fight. I am a firm believer in youth programs being the backbone of the varsities success. If I am not mistaken, The youth league in Ft.Thomas is not competitive and does not play in any type of league til they get to middle school level. Does anyone think they stems from talent drop off?

Maybe competitive is the wrong word. It just seems to me that playing other talent from around the Tri-state allows you to have a good gauge of what you have. A talented kid from Ft.Mitchell that maybe playing in the Ft.Thomas league as a youth kid does not give you hope that they would be a Bluebird later down the road considering for a while they were not taking tuition students.

Much of the success of Highlands football over the years is a result of the Ft. Thomas youth league. It has been model for what a youth football league should be.

As an end note to this discussion for me, to make a change for the sake of making a change may not be the best thing because we are talking about high school sports. However, assistant coaches are an extension of the head coach and in some cases the head coach needs to remind them that he/she is in charge of the program and all things should be running through him/her and the administration if need be. In some cases giving assistant coaches too much leeway can cause a lot of turmoil within the team thus not everyone is 100% bought in to the program.

As an end note to this discussion for me, to make a change for the sake of making a change may not be the best thing because we are talking about high school sports. However, assistant coaches are an extension of the head coach and in some cases the head coach needs to remind them that he/she is in charge of the program and all things should be running through him/her and the administration if need be. In some cases giving assistant coaches too much leeway can cause a lot of turmoil within the team thus not everyone is 100% bought in to the program.

For me, on top of a couple other posts in the thread, this may be the most insightful post into the issues in the program - and the argument that it is time for a change at head coach.

I am not saying the model is the problem. They seem to do a great job. Problem that I would see is they are playing the same kids day in and day out each year. Where is the development and structure. Some times knowing there is a king on the hill you are able to prepare different per week and change strategies per week. Seems to me that is a mirror image of what people are complaining about at the varsity level now. Again no dog in the fight but seems logical.

I am not saying the model is the problem. They seem to do a great job. Problem that I would see is they are playing the same kids day in and day out each year. Where is the development and structure. Some times knowing there is a king on the hill you are able to prepare different per week and change strategies per week. Seems to me that is a mirror image of what people are complaining about at the varsity level now. Again no dog in the fight but seems logical.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree. Highlands freshman teams are one of the best in the region annually. If what you are saying is an issue, they would not have top notch freshman teams every year.

Not saying they are not, but again think about that and what your saying. They should be, they have been playing in the same system. Once the Covcath and Ryle and Conner kids all start getting to there final destinations, it takes a year to get them to gel together. While Highlands is banking on the status of the freshmen season it’s not a true indicator of the rest of nky football. NKY has teams all over plus once kids are able to go to highschool the better athletes tend to start looking for a good fit. A place where they have to find a spot on a team that they have never been on or kids they have never been around. I am not sure Highlands has had undefeated Freshmen season have they? In last few years. Again just think about the teams that Highlands lost to up here. Conner kids play all over as they are k-8. Covcath kids play all over k-8. When they become freshmen the staff has no idea about half these kids. Takes a while to get that chemistry going.

Edited by YOUTH2019
Punctuation

All coaches were spoken about at the banquet, so there were players who were willing to talk about every coach. The speeches were fun, serious & appreciative. Some speeches brought tears to my eyes because you could feel the connection between the player/coach.

It’s ok if some players didn’t want to speak. Not all students like all teachers, not all employees like all employers. It’s life.

There are many players on the roster (returning & new) showing up for winter workouts. Even another soccer player is showing up to potentially play both sports in 2020 like the one player from 2019 season.

Not saying they are not, but again think about that and what your saying. They should be, they have been playing in the same system. Once the Covcath and Ryle and Conner kids all start getting to there final destinations, it takes a year to get them to gel together. While Highlands is banking on the status of the freshmen season it’s not a true indicator of the rest of nky football. NKY has teams all over plus once kids are able to go to highschool the better athletes tend to start looking for a good fit. A place where they have to find a spot on a team that they have never been on or kids they have never been around. I am not sure Highlands has had undefeated Freshmen season have they? In last few years. Again just think about the teams that Highlands lost to up here. Conner kids play all over as they are k-8. Covcath kids play all over k-8. When they become freshmen the staff has no idea about half these kids. Takes a while to get that chemistry going.

Are you familiar with how the Ft. Thomas youth league is structured?

In addition, many schools have middle school programs in place where kids play together more and in their high school system than what happens in Ft. Thomas.

Regardless, IMO freshman football is about talent much more than playing together in a system.

All coaches were spoken about at the banquet, so there were players who were willing to talk about every coach. The speeches were fun, serious & appreciative. Some speeches brought tears to my eyes because you could feel the connection between the player/coach.

It’s ok if some players didn’t want to speak. Not all students like all teachers, not all employees like all employers. It’s life.

There are many players on the roster (returning & new) showing up for winter workouts. Even another soccer player is showing up to potentially play both sports in 2020 like the one player from 2019 season.

Odd to have 2 completely different stories of the same event.