I hung out with some Highlands Football Mommies the other night...

theguru

Ironic. It has been 5 years since Highlands beat Covington Catholic. Also that season 5 years ago is the last time Highlands appeared in a state title game, overcoming a 1-5 start to finish 8-6.

The fact this thread exists is pretty clear proof that this situation does matter 5 years later.

I think Pete's point was more of, should it matter? If beating CCH and winning a State Title are the only things that are important, well, that's a lot of disappointment for any program.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ironic. It has been 5 years since Highlands beat Covington Catholic. Also that season 5 years ago is the last time Highlands appeared in a state title game, overcoming a 1-5 start to finish 8-6.

The fact this thread exists is pretty clear proof that this situation does matter 5 years later.

Highlands beat CovCath twice in 2015 and that was the last time that occurred. It was not a championship season, but should have been another title game appearance, but do to lack of adjustments the season ended against Pulaski County.

I don't think that anyone is "harsh" in this conversation. I'm just an outsider who has been an insider at some other place. I'm merely trying to get a foothold on what ends up being really important in life. I always ask the question, "Will this situation matter in 5 years?" If not, I try to put it in perspective. If someone believes that it does and it really doesn't and they want everyone else to believe it does, that's a symptom of narcissism.

I believe Highlands football will matter in 5 years. Yes, we live in an apathetic culture today but I’d love to see this argument with something like UK basketball. We sort of did with the end of the Tubby era, which is oddly similar to this.

I think Pete's point was more of, should it matter? If beating CCH and winning a State Title are the only things that are important, well, that's a lot of disappointment for any program.

I am sure that was a big part of Pete's angle but when you are on a sports board, then sports do matter. Obviously sports are not the most important thing in life. But in the context of what's important in the sports world, yes this does matter to many people.

Obviously there are some people on here who are not happy with what is going on in Ft. Thomas. I believe @TheDeuce has already asked the question, but I didn't see an answer. If Highlands was to move on from BW, who are some realistic hires that would make the fan base happy, or is it just a matter of get rid of this guy and hope for the best?

Shouldn’t every program strive to be a state champion every year in every sport? Again the issues are not all about wins and losses, but you keep wanting to hang your hat in that because it gives you something to keep harping on.

BW is a good football coach with a proven track record. That alone does not make you a good leader of a program. Some of your deficiencies as a head coach can be compensated for by having good assistant coaches in your program who command and have earned the respect of the team. Kids do not have to like them as a buddy, but will follow their lead when things get tough. This is where I see the biggest disconnect in the program and as a result kids are either not playing or transferring out to play elsewhere.

Two successful quarterbacks left the program, one because he was told he would never play quarterback at Highlands. Hergott was rumored to be leaving for months and yet no coach wanted to address the elephant in the room.

Shouldn’t every program strive to be a state champion every year in every sport? Again the issues are not all about wins and losses, but you keep wanting to hang your hat in that because it gives you something to keep harping on.

BW is a good football coach with a proven track record. That alone does not make you a good leader of a program. Some of your deficiencies as a head coach can be compensated for by having good assistant coaches in your program who command and have earned the respect of the team. Kids do not have to like them as a buddy, but will follow their lead when things get tough. This is where I see the biggest disconnect in the program and as a result kids are either not playing or transferring out to play elsewhere.

Two successful quarterbacks left the program, one because he was told he would never play quarterback at Highlands. Hergott was rumored to be leaving for months and yet no coach wanted to address the elephant in the room.

Every team can have the ultimate goal of a state championship, sure. That is unrealistic for most teams, most years. Even at a program as successful as Highlands, you're not going to win a title every year, or every other year most of the time. Unrealistic expectations are as toxic as anything else in sports, on all levels.

I keep harping on the wins and losses because until recently pressed, none of you had given any reasons whatsoever how the staff wasn't getting it done, other than not winning enough games. You just kept being vague and using cop outs as to why you couldn't post more information. "You all don't understand" or "it's a Highlands thing" are the go to answers. Please... Get over yourselves. If you wanted people to stop questioning you, just give up the info that you are supposedly sitting on and maybe we might agree with you? At least we may understand better where you're coming from.

This is the most in-depth explanation of your grievances that you've given, to my knowledge. Maybe I missed it elsewhere. We agree that being a good coach doesn't necessarily mean that you should be leading a program. Are you insinuating that the players don't respect the coaching staff? Why is that? As far as you know, what exactly is it about the coaching staff that is causing kids to either not play or go play elsewhere?

Obviously there are some people on here who are not happy with what is going on in Ft. Thomas. I believe @TheDeuce has already asked the question, but I didn't see an answer. If Highlands was to move on from BW, who are some realistic hires that would make the fan base happy, or is it just a matter of get rid of this guy and hope for the best?

I don’t think they have someone hand picked. I think there will be plenty of applicants. Still, what’s missed in this scenario is, change needs to happen, regardless who the replacement is.

To be clear, I am for:

- Winning because losing stinks.

- Sports because being part of a team of people committed to one another while winning and losing together becomes one of the biggest and most important lessons that one can learn in life.

- Coaches that teach young people how to play the game skillfully and properly - physically, mentally and emotionally. Players as a result become the best versions of themselves and go beyond previous personal ceilings.

- Schools, teams, parents, alumni and communities that support each other through winning and losing keeping the things in mind about life that are most important.

- Lessons learned in school are meant to prepare young people for situations and "tests" that they will face later. Remember, they are watching us and our examples.

To be clear, I am against:

- Winning at all costs. This includes the potential bending of rules or the manipulation of people and events to win at all cost.

- Winning because of who one is ("the label"). Winning should be about one's performance, one's skills, the other team's performance and skills, and sometimes the luck of the day. Winning should never be an entitlement based on position or pedigree.

- Sports being about only about the success of a "higher class" of player or coach at the expense of other teammates who are considered "lower class" who exist solely for the purpose of the "higher class".

- Sport contests where my team must win and your team must lose because that is just the way things need to be in order for me to be happy. Certain rivalries are fun and can be healthy, but there are others that are just plain hateful. Healthy rivalries can be times of celebration and sadness (depending on the point of view). Healthy rivals can shake hands. Winners can feel pride about a job well done. Losers can learn a lesson or two from the sting of a defeat. Both can look forward to the next contest. Hating your opponent (I mean REAL hate) is never good.

- Sport being your god (that is not a religious statement). I mean making an outcome of a particular sporting contest so important that it affects my ability to act as a reasonable human being toward my family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, etc. I am very passionate about the teams I follow. I will not allow too much good or bad, however, to take control of my soul so that I am unable to be the person I need to be around others.

- Coaches who are incompetent. Coaches who are only focused on themselves. Coaches who take advantage of others. Coaches who don't care about winning (they should care about winning; however, if they don't and lessons are learned, then that should be considered in their future).

- Games that occur off the field. Nothing can hurt a program or school more than manipulation of puppet strings for perceived benefits. Remember, our young people are watching us. What matters most in 5 years is the examples we set.

Those are my personal thoughts. Disclaimer - in no way am I insinuating that Highland High School (or any other program) or a set of people, programs or teams are guilty of anything I said.

I'm an outsider.

To be clear, I am for:

- Winning because losing stinks.

- Sports because being part of a team of people committed to one another while winning and losing together becomes one of the biggest and most important lessons that one can learn in life.

- Coaches that teach young people how to play the game skillfully and properly - physically, mentally and emotionally. Players as a result become the best versions of themselves and go beyond previous personal ceilings.

- Schools, teams, parents, alumni and communities that support each other through winning and losing keeping the things in mind about life that are most important.

- Lessons learned in school are meant to prepare young people for situations and "tests" that they will face later. Remember, they are watching us and our examples.

To be clear, I am against:

- Winning at all costs. This includes the potential bending of rules or the manipulation of people and events to win at all cost.

- Winning because of who one is ("the label"). Winning should be about one's performance, one's skills, the other team's performance and skills, and sometimes the luck of the day. Winning should never be an entitlement based on position or pedigree.

- Sports being about only about the success of a "higher class" of player or coach at the expense of other teammates who are considered "lower class" who exist solely for the purpose of the "higher class".

- Sport contests where my team must win and your team must lose because that is just the way things need to be in order for me to be happy. Certain rivalries are fun and can be healthy, but there are others that are just plain hateful. Healthy rivalries can be times of celebration and sadness (depending on the point of view). Healthy rivals can shake hands. Winners can feel pride about a job well done. Losers can learn a lesson or two from the sting of a defeat. Both can look forward to the next contest. Hating your opponent (I mean REAL hate) is never good.

- Sport being your god (that is not a religious statement). I mean making an outcome of a particular sporting contest so important that it affects my ability to act as a reasonable human being toward my family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, etc. I am very passionate about the teams I follow. I will not allow too much good or bad, however, to take control of my soul so that I am unable to be the person I need to be around others.

- Coaches who are incompetent. Coaches who are only focused on themselves. Coaches who take advantage of others. Coaches who don't care about winning (they should care about winning; however, if they don't and lessons are learned, then that should be considered in their future).

- Games that occur off the field. Nothing can hurt a program or school more than manipulation of puppet strings for perceived benefits. Remember, our young people are watching us. What matters most in 5 years is the examples we set.

Those are my personal thoughts. Disclaimer - in no way am I insinuating that Highland High School (or any other program) or a set of people, programs or teams are guilty of anything I said.

I'm an outsider.

Thanks Pete, that’s a night and day post from casting narcissism.

Let me ask you this and it’s not exclusive to football. When you reach a point where your going backwards and you know it, at what point is it time to make a change?

Thanks Pete, that’s a night and day post from casting narcissism.

Let me ask you this and it’s not exclusive to football. When you reach a point where your going backwards and you know it, at what point is it time to make a change?

"Man In The Mirror"

I'm gonna make a change

For once in my life

It's gonna feel real good

Gonna make a difference

Gonna make it right

As I turn up the collar on

My favourite winter coat

This wind is blowin' my mind

I see the kids in the street

With not enough to eat

Who am I to be blind

Pretending not to see their needs?

A summer's disregard

A broken bottle top

And a one man's soul

They follow each other on the wind you know

'Cause they got nowhere to go

That's why I want you to know

I'm starting with the man in the mirror

I'm asking him to change his ways

And no message could have been any clearer

If you wanna make the world a better place

Take a look at yourself and then make a change

I've been a victim of

A selfish kind of love

It's time that I realize

That there are some with no home

Not a nickel to loan

Could it be really me

Pretending that they're not alone?

A willow deeply scarred

Somebody's broken heart

And a washed-out dream

(Washed-out dream)

They follow the pattern of the wind

You see

'Cause they got no place to be

That's why I'm starting with me

Take a look at yourself and then make that change

('Cause you better change!)

No message could have been any clearer

Take a look at yourself and then make the change

You gotta get it right

While you got the time

'Cause when you close your heart

You can't close your your mind

(Then you close your mind!)

That man, that man, that man, that man

With that man in the mirror

(Man in the mirror, oh yeah!)

That man, that man, that man

(Better change!)

You know that man

No message could have been any clearer

Gonna feel real good now

Oh, no, oh, no

I'm gonna make a change

It's gonna feel real good

Shamone

Change

Just lift yourself

You know

You've got to stop it yourself

(Yeah! Make that change!)

I've gotta make that change today

(Man in the mirror)

You got to

You got to not let yourself, brother

(Yeah! Make that change!)

You know

I've got to get that man, that man

(Man in the mirror)

You've got to

You've got to move

Come on! Come on

You got to stand up! Stand up! Stand up

(Yeah. Make that change)

Stand up and lift yourself now

(Man in the mirror)

(Yeah. Make that change)

Gonna make that change

Come on

(Man in the mirror)

You know it

You know it

You know it

You know

Change

Make that change

----- Michael Jackson

I have zero dog in this fight. I am a firm believer in youth programs being the backbone of the varsities success. If I am not mistaken, The youth league in Ft.Thomas is not competitive and does not play in any type of league til they get to middle school level. Does anyone think they stems from talent drop off?

Every team can have the ultimate goal of a state championship, sure. That is unrealistic for most teams, most years. Even at a program as successful as Highlands, you're not going to win a title every year, or every other year most of the time. Unrealistic expectations are as toxic as anything else in sports, on all levels.

I keep harping on the wins and losses because until recently pressed, none of you had given any reasons whatsoever how the staff wasn't getting it done, other than not winning enough games. You just kept being vague and using cop outs as to why you couldn't post more information. "You all don't understand" or "it's a Highlands thing" are the go to answers. Please... Get over yourselves. If you wanted people to stop questioning you, just give up the info that you are supposedly sitting on and maybe we might agree with you? At least we may understand better where you're coming from.

This is the most in-depth explanation of your grievances that you've given, to my knowledge. Maybe I missed it elsewhere. We agree that being a good coach doesn't necessarily mean that you should be leading a program. Are you insinuating that the players don't respect the coaching staff? Why is that? As far as you know, what exactly is it about the coaching staff that is causing kids to either not play or go play elsewhere?

Not sure in the specific things being said, but words to describe the situation are “beat down” and “defeated”

One more item to describe the toxicity of the situation. At the banquet every year, a senior or group of seniors talk about their position coach. 2 coaches had nobody that willingly wanted to talk about them.

I have zero dog in this fight. I am a firm believer in youth programs being the backbone of the varsities success. If I am not mistaken, The youth league in Ft.Thomas is not competitive and does not play in any type of league til they get to middle school level. Does anyone think they stems from talent drop off?

What does “not competitive” mean?