I hung out with some Highlands Football Mommies the other night...

theguru

One school this year disrespected Highlands so bad this year that they call us Thomas Heights... isn’t that a condo community on the outskirts of Ft Thomas?

The name Highlands’s or Ft. Thomas Highlands’s has been so disrespected in the last 5 years by opponents just because they can.

When I see the little things like school administrators ignoring and not proof reading events and venues including Highlands football then I also believe our own people are disrespecting the program for not caring and doing a better job.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teachers in the State of KY have a union and cover each other’s back.

Have a fellow teacher who also so happens to be a coach be threatened of his job and all fellow teachers go to bat for him.

In this situation at Highlands, the current football coach (middle school teacher) has been eating lunch and buddies with a fellow middle school teacher (now new Highlands Athletic Director) for last 15 years together and now it’s time for buddy to fire buddy from coaching position because buddy can’t get the job done, not happening.

Your right, nothing to see here move along.

I don’t expect you to understand because again you are outside looking in and don’t know all of the dynamics involved.

It’s a Highlands Football thingy. Re read my earlier posts and you should be able to connect some dots.

Teachers in the state of Kentucky do not have a union.

I may be on the outside of the Highlands situation, but I am on the inside of the “teacher situation”. Blaming teachers for what may or may not be happening with coaching hires is just silly.

Thanks for clearing that up and I thank you for being a teacher and educator.

You are still missing my point about the teachers protecting him.

When I refer to a teacher, I am specifically talking about those teachers that also happen to be coaches of other sports or football that fall into the buddy system.

Each and every teacher that also happens to be a coach has the ear of the Athletic Director and all coaches that also happen to be a teacher have the ears of principal and other administrators therefore weighing in on and possibly persuading idealism and decision making.

This is my opinion and at Highlands it is coming into play on the decision to retain this football coach.

Here’s a list of things...

46-31 over 6 yrs of coaching at Highlands.

Take away your 1 best year 2014 Tubby Smith team and he is 33-29 just 4 games over 500.

But he is a good guy.

The 3-8 2016 Year was the year it should have happened but it got knocked down because of one man.

Followed up with 6-6 season in 2017 and we off to races.

2018 does a nice job getting to 10-3 but then caps off ‘19 with a 6-5 record.

I’m sorry this guy is inconsistent and all over the place and the numbers speak for themselves. Those are facts my friend, no vagueness or complaining just plain facts.

Wow!!! Where’s ole Clyde at when I need a man that knows what Iam talking about.

So inconsistency is your main beef... Thanks for clearing that up.

What do you think could/should be happening from a coaching perspective to counter the inconsistency? What is the cause of the inconsistency, in your opinion?

No dog in the fight here, but maybe administration have a thousand other things to worry about in 2019 other than firing a football coach who everyone admits is a great guy, has a winning record in 6 years and is one year removed from a 10-3 record.

It's not all about W's and L's anymore. Yes, they matter, but not nearly as much as they used to. Look around the state, or even the country, in today's day and age and this still rings true.

Unfortunately it was that close and an extension was granted.

I now believe the removal period has expired and BW is now untouchable because of obstacles that are now in place that weren’t present two years ago.

Unfortunately Mediocrity has been now been accepted 100% at Highlands.

What "removal period"? It sounds like you're discussing teacher tenure, which is a thing, for teachers. It simply means there are more steps to be taken to remove him from the teaching position than would be needed before, but he can certainly be removed.

As far as coaching, there is not a removal period. He could coach the next 14 years, and if after that 20th year in his tenure they decided he is not the right guy he can be relieved of his coaching duties.

No dog in the fight here, but maybe administration have a thousand other things to worry about in 2019 other than firing a football coach who everyone admits is a great guy, has a winning record in 6 years and is one year removed from a 10-3 record.

It's not all about W's and L's anymore. Yes, they matter, but not nearly as much as they used to. Look around the state, or even the country, in today's day and age and this still rings true.

Thanks for your input and as you stated “no dog in the fight here” so really you don’t clearly understand what we are fighting for.

So inconsistency is your main beef... Thanks for clearing that up.

What do you think could/should be happening from a coaching perspective to counter the inconsistency? What is the cause of the inconsistency, in your opinion?

I am not going to get into specifics because you obviously already know how the alumni feel.

Read over the hundreds of posts in the last 3 yrs in other threads and it may or may not make sense to an outsider looking in.

Why don’t you give me your heart felt response about the current state of your football program and list off the history and the accolades of the program. Perhaps we will have something to talk about but until then #makethechange

Iam not going to get into specifics because you obviously already know how the Alumni feel.

Read over the hundreds of posts in the last 3 yrs in other threads and it may or may not make sense to an outsider looking in.

Why don’t you give me your heart felt response about the current state of your football program and list off the history and the accolades of the program. Perhaps we will have something to talk about but until then #makethechange

I know that SOME of the Alumni want him gone. Until you specifically said it was the inconsistency, it's really been a guessing game as to why you (this is a general "you," not specific to you Sweep) want him out. What are some other reasons?

We get it, we really do. Highlands is a VERY successful program, one that every Bluebird should be proud of. My only issue is that we've had many threads just like this and us "outsiders" never get concrete reasons as to why there has to be a change. We all want our team to win every game, every championship. That's not realistic, even at a program as successful as Highlands. When you all keep saying "you wouldn't understand" or "it's a Highlands football thing," it reeks of entitlement and makes you all look like a group of whiny grown men who are upset because they don't have the pull in the program they wish they did.

I think BW's days at Highlands are numbered, and it's a shame because as @ChickenWyngz said, it's about more than wins and losses. The "Glory Days" of Highlands Football as many here remember it are over. I'll ask again, knowing with certainty I won't get an answer, but when BW is gone, who will Highlands replace him with that will immediately and fully satisfy the alumni? IMO, that person doesn't exist, because it's about more than just a coach.

From Wikipedia regarding Academics at Highlands High School:

As of 2019, Highlands is ranked 354th in the nation and 3rd within Kentucky by U.S. News & World Report. They boast ACT and SAT scores well above both state and national averages. Approximately 90% of the school's graduates go to college. Highlands also has chapters of the National Honor Society, National English Honor Society, and Mu Alpha Theta. Twenty Advanced Placement classes are offered and the school is consistently a local leader in National Merit Finalists. Until 2009, Highlands won the We the People: The Citizen and the Constitution State Championships in six out of seven years, and placed in the top 25 at the National Finals in 2007.

The school was named a 2007 No Child Left Behind Blue Ribbon School, the highest award that can be given to a school by the US Department of Education and received a national "High Schools That Work" Gold Achievement Award in 2008.

The Washington Post named Highlands the number one most challenging school in Kentucky in 2014.

Not from Wikipedia:

Also in 2014, with the current football coach, Highlands High School went 13-2 and won the 4A Championship. In 2015, they become 5A and went 8-6. In 2016 - 3-8. In 2017 - 6-6. In 2018 - back up to 10-3. In 2019 - 6-5.

OK - I see that they did not win the state championship every year. Sorry to hear that. However, it looks like to me that the school itself has remained a "champion in the classroom" through that entire period. Isn't that what is important? Isn't it pride in the "entire portfolio" of the school that gets alumni and outside donations?

From Wikipedia regarding Academics at Highlands High School:

As of 2019, Highlands is ranked 354th in the nation and 3rd within Kentucky by U.S. News & World Report. They boast ACT and SAT scores well above both state and national averages. Approximately 90% of the school's graduates go to college. Highlands also has chapters of the National Honor Society, National English Honor Society, and Mu Alpha Theta. Twenty Advanced Placement classes are offered and the school is consistently a local leader in National Merit Finalists. Until 2009, Highlands won the We the People: The Citizen and the Constitution State Championships in six out of seven years, and placed in the top 25 at the National Finals in 2007.

The school was named a 2007 No Child Left Behind Blue Ribbon School, the highest award that can be given to a school by the US Department of Education and received a national "High Schools That Work" Gold Achievement Award in 2008.

The Washington Post named Highlands the number one most challenging school in Kentucky in 2014.

Not from Wikipedia:

Also in 2014, with the current football coach, Highlands High School went 13-2 and won the 4A Championship. In 2015, they become 5A and went 8-6. In 2016 - 3-8. In 2017 - 6-6. In 2018 - back up to 10-3. In 2019 - 6-5.

OK - I see that they did not win the state championship every year. Sorry to hear that. However, it looks like to me that the school itself has remained a "champion in the classroom" through that entire period. Isn't that what is important? Isn't it pride in the "entire portfolio" of the school that gets alumni and outside donations?

Thanks for the information as this is very important to point out.

Yes academics are the first and foremost most important thing at this school but football follows a close second and each compliment each other in their own way.

Success breeds winning both in the classrooms and on the sports venues.

Private donations and money helps drive it all and without football money that school system will struggle fiscally as a whole.

I asked earlier if anyone could provide an athletic balance and check sheet showing private donations etc to reveal what’s going on fiscally due to drop in success with football.

We won’t get it on here but I guarantee you it’s telling and it’s going to be felt.

Private donations and money helps drive it all and without football money that school system will struggle fiscally as a whole.

I asked earlier if anyone could provide an athletic balance and check sheet showing private donations etc to reveal what’s going on fiscally due to drop in success with football.

We won’t get it on here but I guarantee you it’s telling and it’s going to be felt.

So they only donate to the school when the football team is winning titles? Some Alumni base... That's a great example to set. "We support you, Highlands High School... as long as you're winning!"

Thanks for the information as this is very important to point out.

Yes academics are the first and foremost most important thing at this school but football follows a close second and each compliment each other in their own way.

Success breeds winning both in the classrooms and on the sports venues.

Baseball and basketball have been pretty successful lately. Do they have any academic impact?

I believed it bothered T for a long time that Highlands was leading and or tied with T in KY for State Titles. Heck little ole Highlands beat T in a bowl game not that long ago.

Highlands once could stand stand tall and say we were the 2nd winningest program in the USA but 31 losses in 6 years hurts your case and takes you out of the conversations.

T owns Highlands now and I highly doubt we will ever match or surpass an all boys program the size of T in football ever again nor should we expect this.

But for gods sake quit protecting and making excuses for the current Highlands coach and saying the world is against him and he has no chance to win. Your better than this

Now you’re onto something. Going back to the beginning of this thread which has been very engaging, I stand with the cougars of FT!