I hung out with some Highlands Football Mommies the other night...

theguru

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whew! Just read through the thread after getting back in town from work road trip. Got word from couple fella BGP'ers to check it out asap. Very interesting to say the least. I do notice that there are very few "old timers" on here posting. They may be reading, but not posting. That imo, speaks volumes. I take that as they are just over it already. I think they see that its going to stay status quo! So why bother.

I remember going to BW's introduction as head coach. And I can tell you each and every BGP member that I know that gives a hoot about Highlands was there in support of him. It was a special night for him. From there, he had total support of the community. 6 seasons later, that support has waned a bit. Quite a bit actually. And why is that such a big deal to people. Are supporters not allowed to change their minds on someone as their leader or coach. Sometimes it's just time to go. It's not that BW isn't a great defensive mind, he is and I think it definitely showed when he was 100% in that role in years past. Imo, he just doesn't fit the head coaching role. And that's fine. Isn't it? I mean what am I missing. Some people aren't made to be "that" coach. Some are. There's nothing wrong with that. If it's me and I am in that position, I think I would have to make a change. Maybe not but would have to think long and hard about it. Especially when I don't have the support needed to be in that position. But maybe he has thought about it and feels he can turn the program around. And yes, it does need turning around.

Several players have left or decided to not play football over the past 4/5 years all due to comments from coaches, atmosphere around program, and essentially looking to play on a team that they feel has a chance to win whether at Highlands or at another school. Highlands lost 2 stud Qb's because of this. Ok, maybe just 2 Qb's, but those two themselves could have allowed 2 others that played QB to play other positions that would have helped the team. Add in a few more "other" sport stars, and you have a recipe for scrambling to find high quality players to replace them. And yes, that goes with the argument that the talent just isn't there. That logic would be correct if it wasn't for the reasons that these kids left the program. That falls on the coaching staff not being able to retain their players.

I think a lot has been covered in this thread so far. There are people on here with info that just won't be shared. They didn't start the thread, just giving some insight as much as they can. A lot can not be shared on here. That's where being on the outside is frustrating and you just don't get it. My narcissism is kicking in!!!

#makethechange

You guys wouldn’t last a season in Ohio if you think this is bad. I think the alumni and community have been pretty patient with BW. A lot of facts are being ignored on here. Quite possibly by people who want Highlands to stay in decline.

I don’t think the “facts” have been discussed, outside of saying the record has dropped off since Dale. Is it not possible that it’s just a decline in talent at HHS, coinciding with an increase at other schools? What facts are being ignored? It’s still been very vague and brushed off as no one outside of HHS could possibly understand.

Whew! Just read through the thread after getting back in town from work road trip. Got word from couple fella BGP'ers to check it out asap. Very interesting to say the least. I do notice that there are very few "old timers" on here posting. They may be reading, but not posting. That imo, speaks volumes. I take that as they are just over it already. I think they see that its going to stay status quo! So why bother.

I remember going to BW's introduction as head coach. And I can tell you each and every BGP member that I know that gives a hoot about Highlands was there in support of him. It was a special night for him. From there, he had total support of the community. 6 seasons later, that support has waned a bit. Quite a bit actually. And why is that such a big deal to people. Are supporters not allowed to change their minds on someone as their leader or coach. Sometimes it's just time to go. It's not that BW isn't a great defensive mind, he is and I think it definitely showed when he was 100% in that role in years past. Imo, he just doesn't fit the head coaching role. And that's fine. Isn't it? I mean what am I missing. Some people aren't made to be "that" coach. Some are. There's nothing wrong with that. If it's me and I am in that position, I think I would have to make a change. Maybe not but would have to think long and hard about it. Especially when I don't have the support needed to be in that position. But maybe he has thought about it and feels he can turn the program around. And yes, it does need turning around.

Several players have left or decided to not play football over the past 4/5 years all due to comments from coaches, atmosphere around program, and essentially looking to play on a team that they feel has a chance to win whether at Highlands or at another school. Highlands lost 2 stud Qb's because of this. Ok, maybe just 2 Qb's, but those two themselves could have allowed 2 others that played QB to play other positions that would have helped the team. Add in a few more "other" sport stars, and you have a recipe for scrambling to find high quality players to replace them. And yes, that goes with the argument that the talent just isn't there. That logic would be correct if it wasn't for the reasons that these kids left the program. That falls on the coaching staff not being able to retain their players.

I think a lot has been covered in this thread so far. There are people on here with info that just won't be shared. They didn't start the thread, just giving some insight as much as they can. A lot can not be shared on here. That's where being on the outside is frustrating and you just don't get it. My narcissism is kicking in!!!

#makethechange

Wow!!! Just WOW!!!

That was just soooooo awesome!!!

You guys wouldn’t last a season in Ohio if you think this is bad. I think the alumni and community have been pretty patient with BW. A lot of facts are being ignored on here. Quite possibly by people who want Highlands to stay in decline.

Yep, I survived. I went to Moeller (graduated in 1978). During my four years (1974-1977), the football team went 47-1.

We've heard a couple times now about players leaving the program... Does anyone want to share why (or why they think) those players left, and why it is specifically the football staff's fault?

I would also think that there is more "competition" among the other sports for the athletes with the other sports competing at a high level as well. I know during some of Dale's years baseball/basketball weren't overly dominant. (I have no idea about soccer which someone else mentioned earlier)

However, the one thing I've gathered from this thread is I'm an outsider and wouldn't understand so who knows.

I would also think that there is more "competition" among the other sports for the athletes with the other sports competing at a high level as well. I know during some of Dale's years baseball/basketball weren't overly dominant. (I have no idea about soccer which someone else mentioned earlier)

However, the one thing I've gathered from this thread is I'm an outsider and wouldn't understand so who knows.

No worries, most of the "insiders" likely don't know as much as they think. :lol2:

#makethechange

Boom goes the cannon! Team, #standards!

Things have changed a lot in Montgomery. The coaching critics over there, make us look Disney characters if you all think we’re harsh.

I don't think that anyone is "harsh" in this conversation. I'm just an outsider who has been an insider at some other place. I'm merely trying to get a foothold on what ends up being really important in life. I always ask the question, "Will this situation matter in 5 years?" If not, I try to put it in perspective. If someone believes that it does and it really doesn't and they want everyone else to believe it does, that's a symptom of narcissism.

I don't think that anyone is "harsh" in this conversation. I'm just an outsider who has been an insider at some other place. I'm merely trying to get a foothold on what ends up being really important in life. I always ask the question, "Will this situation matter in 5 years?" If not, I try to put it in perspective. If someone believes that it does and it really doesn't and they want everyone else to believe it does, that's a symptom of narcissism.

Well said. :thumb:

Ironic. It has been 5 years since Highlands beat Covington Catholic. Also that season 5 years ago is the last time Highlands appeared in a state title game, overcoming a 1-5 start to finish 8-6.

The fact this thread exists is pretty clear proof that this situation does matter 5 years later.