I hung out with some Highlands Football Mommies the other night...

theguru

Well there you have it. The question is will the community, players and parents agree?

Great question.

I would suspect Highlands will feel it system wide which will change from looking for a new coach to looking for a new principal.

I would love to hear the reasons from administrators as to why this is all acceptable.

As a former parent of student athletes at Highlands, if one of my kids came home and told me they were not being challenged academically at a school like Highlands don’t you think the principal would be held accountable for not doing his very best to provide my kid with what has become expected at Highlands?

Why is football any different or for that matter any sport or extra curricular activity.

Don’t build state of the art facilities equal or better to most small colleges and not take advantage of these luxuries because you are ok with being just ok.

This is all just so unnecessary and so unfair to the kids imo.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So from what I’m hearing and gathering, there is not going to be a coaching change due to no money or positions available in the FTIS.

If a new coach was to be hired, he/she would have to do something in the district whether pushing a broom or teaching or changing light bulbs. But the is no money available in the FTIS.

So with the fact there is no money or open positions, looks like it’s same ole same ole.

Looking forward to @HighlandsFB tweet in Aug about how Highlands is ranked 2nd, err 3rd, err 4th in country in wins and 1st, err 2nd, err 3rd in Ky in wins. Let’s hang our hat on that one!

#makethechange

So from what I’m hearing and gathering, there is not going to be a coaching change due to no money or positions available in the FTIS.

If a new coach was to be hired, he/she would have to do something in the district whether pushing a broom or teaching or changing light bulbs. But the is no money available in the FTIS.

So with the fact there is no money or open positions, looks like it’s same ole same ole.

Looking forward to @HighlandsFB tweet in Aug about how Highlands is ranked 2nd, err 3rd, err 4th in country in wins and 1st, err 2nd, err 3rd in Ky in wins. Let’s hang our hat on that one!

#makethechange

So TFVH, are you suggesting Highlands is out of money?

If this is the case then they are feeling it sooner than I thought. Wow!!!

We are living in some of the best times financially that we have ever seen with new tax laws etc.

Alumni should be throwing money at that school right now because they can.

Very interesting new information.

By the way, welcome back TFVH, it has been some time since we have heard from you. Keep the information flowing as it sounds like you are In the know.

#makethechange

Is that Highlands policy for a football coach? I know they have other coaches that are not employees of the school.

The principal of Highlands who is Matt Bertasso.

He hires and fires all employees.

I would suspect that the AD of Highlands Kevin Nieoporte can recommend to the principal that a coach be hired or fired but pretty sure it’s Bertasso call.

What Iam hearing is Bertasso and Nieoporte is perfectly fine with the state of the program and being a .500 program is just perfectly fine.

Not sure if either played football or sports at Highlands but I do know both are alumni of Highlands.

Two very intelligent individuals who obviously know more than I do, that’s for sure.

I agree, chalk up 2020 as another year of same football leadership. No change will be made imo.

If Highlands was going to make a change it would have happened the next school day after the banquet.

Actually I believe all personnel decisions are not the Principal's alone. They usually make recommendations to the Superintendent of schools in consort with the board of education. Athletic Directors usually report to Principals. Certified positions( teachers) also involve site based councils.

Great question.

I would suspect Highlands will feel it system wide which will change from looking for a new coach to looking for a new principal.

I would love to hear the reasons from administrators as to why this is all acceptable.

As a former parent of student athletes at Highlands, if one of my kids came home and told me they were not being challenged academically at a school like Highlands don’t you think the principal would be held accountable for not doing his very best to provide my kid with what has become expected at Highlands?

Why is football any different or for that matter any sport or extra curricular activity.

Don’t build state of the art facilities equal or better to most small colleges and not take advantage of these luxuries because you are ok with being just ok.

This is all just so unnecessary and so unfair to the kids imo.

I get that their indoor facility is very nice, but their stadium? Their is very little room on either sideline, no parking, and modest seating numbers but adequate. Can't really feel sorry for kids in this school system about anything. They have first class facilities for academics and are afforded as close to a private school setting as a public school can be.( Yeah, I taught and coached in both.) They have excellent opportunities àthletically. Residents pay a nice chunk for this and sure, it increases our property values. Been around for a long time. It runs in cycles. There are coaches that would shy away from this job. Unfortunately the guy now is the guy who followed the guy.

I get that their indoor facility is very nice, but their stadium? Their is very little room on either sideline, no parking, and modest seating numbers but adequate. Can't really feel sorry for kids in this school system about anything. They have first class facilities for academics and are afforded as close to a private school setting as a public school can be.( Yeah, I taught and coached in both.) They have excellent opportunities àthletically. Residents pay a nice chunk for this and sure, it increases our property values. Been around for a long time. It runs in cycles. There are coaches that would shy away from this job. Unfortunately the guy now is the guy who followed the guy.

I believe Highlands' football stadium seats more than Covington Catholic's.

I believe Highlands' football stadium seats more than Covington Catholic's.

And I believe their parking lot holds more. Not too many seasons ago the Birds were pounding CCH. They have an advantage of drawing students from more areas. Eventually more tuition paying students will turn up at Highlands and perhaps they will also like to play football and have significant size and speed. (No R word here)

And I believe their parking lot holds more. Not too many seasons ago the Birds were pounding CCH. They have an advantage of drawing students from more areas. Eventually more tuition paying students will turn up at Highlands and perhaps they will also like to play football and have significant size and speed. (No R word here)

I usually walk just as far from my parking spot to watch games at CCH as I do to watch games at Highlands.

How are they out of touch?

Assuming they know how Administrators feel, having zero understanding of what goes into firing and hiring coaches who teach, and how said hiring/firing can affect individuals who have absolutely nothing to do with the football program.

Assuming they know how Administrators feel, having zero understanding of what goes into firing and hiring coaches who teach, and how said hiring/firing can affect individuals who have absolutely nothing to do with the football program.

How do you know that some people on here do not know how the "administrators" feel about things?

Can a coach not be relieved of his/her duties as a "coach" at any time? This does not impact their job as a teacher and we all know that some schools have coaches that are not teachers.

At the end of the day, there is not going to be a change in the head coaching position at Highlands. There may be some changes in the ranks of the assistant coaches, but BW will be the head coach for seasons to come IMO.