I hung out with some Highlands Football Mommies the other night...

theguru

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It reminds me of some Cov Cath threads 5 and 6 years ago. Then the Colonels changed coaches. Hmmmm ....

They also have a principal who coached quite successfully, understands the value of a strong athletic program, and made the decision to make some seemingly controversial changes. It has worked well increasing student numbers and stimulating alumni financial involvement....and that's huge in Catholic high schools. Even though that Sweeper guy doesn't agree things happen differently in a PUBLIC (I know, Independent) school setting.

They also have a principal who coached quite successfully, understands the value of a strong athletic program, and made the decision to make some seemingly controversial changes. It has worked well increasing student numbers and stimulating alumni financial involvement....and that's huge in Catholic high schools. Even though that Sweeper guy doesn't agree things happen differently in a PUBLIC (I know, Independent) school setting.

So you are saying Highlands needs to replace their principal with a sports minded guy that is interested in winning.

Why is it that Basketball, Soccer and Baseball are doing fantastic and winning.

Sounds like the talent is walking the hallways, just can’t get the kids to drink the BW Koolaide.

Can someone explain this?

Nobody going to touch this one are they?

Doesn’t make sense to me or it makes all the sense in the world.

Listerman, Baioni and Soccer coach will all be up for Coach of Year awards I guess.

Nobody going to touch this one are they?

Doesn’t make sense to me or it makes all the sense in the world.

Listerman, Baioni and Soccer coach will all be up for Coach of Year awards I guess.

Doesn't listing Listerman work against your argument for a football coaching change? Listerman was given the time to grow the program into the successful team it is this year. Why wouldn't BW be given that same time?

Doesn't listing Listerman work against your argument for a football coaching change? Listerman was given the time to grow the program into the successful team it is this year. Why wouldn't BW be given that same time?

No not at all, comparing apples and potatoes.

You don’t get to cut your teeth at the expense of 100 yr old storied football program like Highlands.

My opinion is all other male sports are excelling at Highlands except the football program. So either the talent is there or all of those coaches not named football are Dale type coaches.

No not at all, comparing apples and potatoes.

You don’t get to cut your teeth at the expense of 100 yr old storied football program like Highlands.

My opinion is all other male sports are excelling at Highlands except the football program. So either the talent is there or all of those coaches not named football are Dale type coaches.

Dale type coaches? How many state championships have the basketball team, soccer team, and baseball team won over the last 10 years? And you are comparing those programs to the success Dale had?

This thread has jumped the shark! I am very happy for the boys having basketball success! However Listerman and Dale are two extremes. Exactly how many basketball alumni that has graduated in the last 5 years showed up on Saturday night! Letting Sam Vinson walk away from football because of some decisions hurt the football program for sure! There are kids walking the hallways that could help any of the three programs right now but boys have chose one or two to concentrate on it is what it is. Baseball, Soccer and now Basketball has cycled. The kids like BW and I know my Son and his class wants to bring the program back. I am not going to excuse the offense of late as it has been a Chinese fire drill. I have been quiet and will remain quiet here after. I am not having other bird programs thrown in this conversation. You and the horsemen and lynch mob know where to find me...

Dale type coaches? How many state championships have the basketball team, soccer team, and baseball team won over the last 10 years? And you are comparing those programs to the success Dale had?

To be quite honest, Baioni and Listerman are closer to Dale types than BW ever will be. They are go-getters who are always looking for ways to get kids to buy into their program and run through the wall for you. They are surrounded by very good assistants who know how to reach the kids and have the same expectations as the head coach. I do not personally know the soccer coach, but have heard nothing but good things about him.

There is a lot of disconnect throughout the football program from top to bottom on the coaching staff all the way down to the players.

Why is it that Basketball, Soccer and Baseball are doing fantastic and winning.

Sounds like the talent is walking the hallways, just can’t get the kids to drink the BW Koolaide.

Can someone explain this?

Sure. Different type of athletes. They don't embrace the hit or be hit mentality of football. Many kids specialize now. Soccer NEVER ends. Baseball is almost 12 months with travel, fall, individual coaching sessions, and then HS season. Basketball is a long season and if a kid is a basketball player( not a football player who plays basketball) you miss pre-season, have conflicts due to AAU, open gyms, team camp, etc. That's not the football coaches fault, it's just where HS sports has moved over the past 10 years or so.