Let's talk about the Highlands Football State of The Union

When the current coach took over. The trips this year were an outlier as Highlands had to give up a home game.

The thing that amazes with all of this is those that think Highlands will NEVER win again. The same thing was said many times before and they have won them since.

The Dale run will not be matched anytime soon by anyone at Highlands and to keep comparing to those years Just is not apples to apples.

I agree with what someone stated previously in that BW is a good football coach and I think he has been a victim of giving assistant coaches way to much leeway, ala the benching of Hollingsworth last week.

They've had at least one hour plus trip every year since 2015. St X in 2016, Greenwood (3 hours) in '17, Lex Cath in '18, and a trip to Corbin this year. In 2014, they had 3, including one in Paducah. Moving into 4a would've added one more long trip in district. Would that really have been so rough? Again, the travel argument for moving up is a joke.

I don't see a reason to play up simply to maintain a rivalry with Cov Cath, especially when you can play them regardless of whether they are in the same district.

They've had at least one hour plus trip every year since 2015. St X in 2016, Greenwood (3 hours) in '17, Lex Cath in '18, and a trip to Corbin this year. In 2014, they had 3, including one in Paducah. Moving into 4a would've added one more long trip in district. Would that really have been so rough? Again, the travel argument for moving up is a joke.

I don't see a reason to play up simply to maintain a rivalry with Cov Cath, especially when you can play them regardless of whether they are in the same district.

2014 was back end of Dale schedule. Greenwood was pickup game when Grant County dropped out of district play and they could not find anyone else.

On 10/7/2019 at 1:31 PM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

To say the least, there seem to be a lot of questions coming out in the thread following the Bluebirds' loss to Conner on Friday, so I figured I would open a thread to try to handle some of the conversation that's more specific to Highlands and less to do with the actual game itself.

1) Are the Highlands players being outfought on the field, or are the Highlands players coming into the game without the proper motivation or preparation?

2) Is the football team playing consistently throughout the season? Did we see the same effort in the Knox Cath game as we did in the Conner game? Last season, did we see the same effort in the playoff game against Cov Cath as we did in the regular season game against Cov Cath?

3) Coaching is obviously one of the most frequent talking points. Is a coaching change in order? If so, which coach(es) need to be changed up/reassigned/replaced?

4) There is talent at Highlands. Is the talent pool at Highlands different from the talent pool at Highlands in the 1990s and 2000s? If the talent pool has changed....why?

5) Is the Fort Thomas Junior Football League the same animal right now as it was in years past? Has the rise in middle school football leagues feeding directly into high schools had any impact on the FTJFL at all?

6) Highlands boys soccer and baseball have had a significant upswing in the last decade. Does the AAU/select/travel league nature of middle school sports and the "pick your sport and stick with your sport" nature of middle school sports have any impact on what's happening in Fort Thomas?

7) Should Highlands be playing up in 5A? ...even if it means they're in a different class from Covington Catholic?

Based on the results of the game last Friday, what I observed happening on the field in the game, and what I've heard & read from the Highlands community in the days since, I feel like these same seven questions are all applicable again, save for some re-wording of #2.

For #2, swap that to: "Is the football team playing consistently throughout the season? Did we see the same effort in the Conner game as we did in the Cov Cath game?"

Curious as to the state of the Ft. Thomas Youth Football League. I know there has been some ups and downs/ins and outs with the organization/leadership over the last couple of years. Honestly, that's to be expected with the current climate of football. It's changed so much since the early 2010's...so change/difficulty embracing change/peaks/valleys are being seen in every youth league since then. 

Just curious as to whether or not the dwindling numbers of players in the feeder system and the lack of players coming in from out of the system is finally being seen? Remember, these kids that are currently Sophomore/Juniors are really the first group of kids impacted by both the concussion era and the changing scope of youth football in NKY. 

1 hour ago, BrosefStalin said:

Curious as to the state of the Ft. Thomas Youth Football League. I know there has been some ups and downs/ins and outs with the organization/leadership over the last couple of years. Honestly, that's to be expected with the current climate of football. It's changed so much since the early 2010's...so change/difficulty embracing change/peaks/valleys are being seen in every youth league since then. 

Just curious as to whether or not the dwindling numbers of players in the feeder system and the lack of players coming in from out of the system is finally being seen? Remember, these kids that are currently Sophomore/Juniors are really the first group of kids impacted by both the concussion era and the changing scope of youth football in NKY. 

I can't say I'm the most well informed on this, but it does seem the numbers are up and down depending on the class in what I was told was not an unusual way.  8th grade has numbers in the mid 30s, but 7th grade has almost 60 players.   They did move the 7th and 8th grade from the Norsemen Conference to the NKMSAA this year.   I'm honestly not sure about the lower grades other than what I said at the beginning about it being roughly the same historically.  

A complete outsider's perspective:

Highlands just seems to be lacking those "DUDES" like their championship teams of the past. When I think of vintage Highlands I think of a quality Oline that is big but not huge. I think of a load of interchangeable skill players. An extremely sound tackling defense that doesn't miss assignments. Then I picture a stud QB who extends plays, either a hard running HB or a dominant WR who they use on jet sweeps, and then that one anchor up front on both sides of the ball who takes over every game.

Right now Highlands just seems to be a generic team without those stars.

In the 90's, 2000's, and 2010's there was about two or three household names on those teams every year that even the most casual fan from other areas even could name. I feel like I follow HS football pretty well and I am not sure I can name you a single Highlands player off the top of my head.

Now how did Highlands get here?

Has the exclusivity of living in the Ft. Thomas- Highlands school district hurt the ability for former stars and alumni to move back and let their kids play there? Has it hurt the ability for families to move in at the feeder level because they know it is a great program and will give their kids a better chance at success? Highlands folk love talking about how hard it is to move into that District, maybe this is backfiring a bit?

I see a thread about Cam Hergott being in the Mr. Football debate. What kept him from being at Highlands? That's "THE DUDE" you needed, maybe addressing why Herogtt is leading Beechwood to State Titles may help address why Highlands also isn't competing for titles of their own.

Is it the feeder system? It seemed up until a couple years ago Highlands was very content with keeping it local in regards to their feeder system and were not competing in the Middle School State Tournaments or playing teams from around the state like some of the other prominent programs that have in the midst of bumper crops of success. It might be that the fish in the pond with Highlands have simply gotten bigger while Highlands has been content staying the same.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ATLCat said:

Now how did Highlands get here?

Has the exclusivity of living in the Ft. Thomas- Highlands school district hurt the ability for former stars and alumni to move back and let their kids play there? Has it hurt the ability for families to move in at the feeder level because they know it is a great program and will give their kids a better chance at success? Highlands folk love talking about how hard it is to move into that District, maybe this is backfiring a bit?

I see a thread about Cam Hergott being in the Mr. Football debate. What kept him from being at Highlands? That's "THE DUDE" you needed, maybe addressing why Herogtt is leading Beechwood to State Titles may help address why Highlands also isn't competing for titles of their own.

This ^^^

Couldn't agree with you more, ATLCat.  No doubt in my mind that since this policy went into effect the level of "dudes" to play in this program has dropped significantly.  However, BW went through the same lull when they had the same policy in place under the same administrator that put the Ft. Thomas Independent Schools.  Since that person left, BW has once again flourished through tuition students, i.e. Cameron Hergott, Logan Castleman, John Odom, and on and on.

I'm not so familiar with their youth league successes and failures of late, but I would think that pool may be drying as well.  I am glad they're playing against the other middle schools though.  

I always thought the Fort Thomas Jr Football League's strength was focusing on learning, participation and retaining as many kids as possible. Not traveling and competitiveness. That's why Highlands has had so many kids that know football. They weren't chased away because only 2 kids get the ball out of 40. When you focus on the competitiveness that young you burn kids out, chase them out. That strategy misses out on late bloomers and hard workers. Fort Thomas used to keep it light and fun and teach the fundamentals and make sure every kid got some time. Sometimes that kid that only plays in the 2nd quarter develops into your star running back. Sometimes the kid on the competitive team that gets the ball every play doesn't even play football by the time he is a sophomore.  I've seen exactly that happen. The Ft Thomas league was set up to win when they're 18, not when they're 12.  My friends kid who is pretty good was about to quit because they traveled out to Boone Co to play and he didn't get in one play. I know, I know exactly what you are thinking.... it doesn't sound very tough to have an instructional league...  So does 23 state championships sound tough at all?  It all reminds me of when Coke changed their flavor. We already have this figured out, stop fixing it.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, El Diablo said:

I always thought the Fort Thomas Jr Football League's strength was focusing on learning, participation and retaining as many kids as possible. Not traveling and competitiveness. That's why Highlands has had so many kids that know football. They weren't chased away because only 2 kids get the ball out of 40. When you focus on the competitiveness that young you burn kids out, chase them out. That strategy misses out on late bloomers and hard workers. Fort Thomas used to keep it light and fun and teach the fundamentals and make sure every kid got some time. Sometimes that kid that only plays in the 2nd quarter develops into your star running back. Sometimes the kid on the competitive team that gets the ball every play doesn't even play football by the time he is a sophomore.  I've seen exactly that happen. The Ft Thomas league was set up to win when they're 18, not when they're 12.  My friends kid who is pretty good was about to quit because they traveled out to Boone Co to play and he didn't get in one play. I know, I know exactly what you are thinking.... it doesn't sound very tough to have an instructional league...  So does 23 state championships sound tough at all?  It all reminds me of when Coke changed their flavor. We already have this figured out, stop fixing it.

Does the same thing happen in Ft Thomas  for soccer, baseball, and basketball?  

These Highlands programs are thriving and consistently competing for regional and state titles.  Do the better players stay in the local Moyer, Knothole, and YMCA leagues?  

9 hours ago, BEChargers said:

Some great assistants have gone on to not be very good Head Coaches.  Don't know if this is the case, but I've seen it happens MANY times. 

Exactly the case here. Weinrich was and is a great Defensive Coach but a terrible Leader and motivator. Trying to be the Offensive and Defensive Coordinator at Highlands or any other school is not a good Idea and not suggested. So why have any other coaches? The kids and Parents love him though. Until the season is over and he's no longer their coach. Funny how that works isn't it? Don't have a skin in the game and thankful I don't.

12 minutes ago, BirdDaddy said:

Exactly the case here. Weinrich was and is a great Defensive Coach but a terrible Leader and motivator. Trying to be the Offensive and Defensive Coordinator at Highlands or any other school is not a good Idea and not suggested. So why have any other coaches? The kids and Parents love him though. Until the season is over and he's no longer their coach. Funny how that works isn't it? Don't have a skin in the game and thankful I don't.

Question for you, he is Head Coach, O Coordinator and D Coordinator?  If yes, I stated that on Friday in the game thread and told that was not the case.  Zach Deaton was back calling the offense?