Let's talk about the Highlands Football State of The Union

Is it possible that Conner has been steadily improving as this season has gone along and that HHS just doesn’t have the men in the trenches to compete this year. How many times does the QB have to get hit or sacked for HHS to make some O-Line changes?

To say the least, there seem to be a lot of questions coming out in the thread following the Bluebirds' loss to Conner on Friday, so I figured I would open a thread to try to handle some of the conversation that's more specific to Highlands and less to do with the actual game itself.

1) Are the Highlands players being outfought on the field, or are the Highlands players coming into the game without the proper motivation or preparation?

No they are prepared. Does the offense need some changes yes but I am not equipped to answer that. I have my thoughts but I trust the right folks will make the changes.

2) Is the football team playing consistently throughout the season? Did we see the same effort in the Knox Cath game as we did in the Conner game? Last season, did we see the same effort in the playoff game against Cov Cath as we did in the regular season game against Cov Cath?

No Knoxville Cath everybody shined. We need to get back there and trust the process. When they play like that watch out!

3) Coaching is obviously one of the most frequent talking points. Is a coaching change in order? If so, which coach(es) need to be changed up/reassigned/replaced?

No kids like playing and nobody is roaming the halls that would make a difference. That can’t be said for another winter sport in which they don’t have fun and plenty of players opt not to play.

4) There is talent at Highlands. Is the talent pool at Highlands different from the talent pool at Highlands in the 1990s and 2000s? If the talent pool has changed....why?

No the couple of out of town boys are not present; however no Robinson, Dunn, or Hebel on the line either. Huge difference. We have no pancake guys. It is what it is.

5) Is the Fort Thomas Junior Football League the same animal right now as it was in years past? Has the rise in middle school football leagues feeding directly into high schools had any impact on the FTJFL at all?

Programs are getting smarter for sure!

6) Highlands boys soccer and baseball have had a significant upswing in the last decade. Does the AAU/select/travel league nature of middle school sports and the "pick your sport and stick with your sport" nature of middle school sports have any impact on what's happening in Fort Thomas?

JB has built a program. Soccer is doing well. We are big enough to let it happen. We still have boys play multiple sports and I am in the mind set you have 4 years to play have fun.

7) Should Highlands be playing up in 5A? ...even if it means they're in a different class from Covington Catholic?

Split on that argument but a win over the blue colonels is like Christmas early!!!

From an outsider's perspective, Highlands' best teams under Mueller always seemed to have at least one guy that could make things happen offensively against anyone, a player that commanded the attention of opposing defenses every week - Frisk, Lorenzen, Smith, Hamblen, Guidugli, Collinsworth, Towles, and Hoge immediately come to mind. Let's say those players were "tens". I don't think Weinrich has had any players of that caliber taking snaps, hand-offs, or catching balls since he's been calling the shots. Additionally, those "tens" had really strong supporting casts. When I look at the Birds now, I don't see those complimentary "eights" that they always seemed to have under Dale.

As far back as I can remember, Highlands has been the fittest team on the field in seemingly 99% of the games they've played. It doesn't look like they're slacking in that area under Weinrich. I'm thinking they're just going through a talent lull.

• Like 1

From an outsider's perspective, Highlands' best teams under Mueller always seemed to have at least one guy that could make things happen offensively against anyone, a player that commanded the attention of opposing defenses every week - Frisk, Lorenzen, Smith, Hamblen, Guidugli, Collinsworth, Towles, and Hoge immediately come to mind. Let's say those players were "tens". I don't think Weinrich has had any players of that caliber taking snaps, hand-offs, or catching balls since he's been calling the shots. Additionally, those "tens" had really strong supporting casts. When I look at the Birds now, I don't see those complimentary "eights" that they always seemed to have under Dale.

As far back as I can remember, Highlands has been the fittest team on the field in seemingly 99% of the games they've played. It doesn't look like they're slacking in that area under Weinrich. I'm thinking they're just going through a talent lull.

This one.

Interesting list of names.

Great post. Agree 100%

Of the 8 names you mentioned, 4 of them were quarterbacks, which imo has been the most glaring position that has struggled since the 2014 season. There has been and continues to be no development of the quarterback position. Seems like someone on the staff is not paying to close attention to what is in the pipeline or not in the pipeline. Just another example of not adapting to the personnel that you have each year and thinking the ways of old are good enough.

For those that say Highlands will not win state in 5A, they already have.

Main reason for wanting to play up is to stay with CovCath and not have to travel all over to play district games. Weinrich wanted to play 4A and he was overruled from what I remember.

Its true that the QB position talent compared to Lorenzen, Guidugli, Towles, and Hoge have greatly dropped off. However the "eights" and some of the "tens" were playing both ways under Dale. That is not happening today. Today the "eights" and "tens" are divided up Off and Def. (not evenly in my opinion) and they even get subbed when they are playing half of a game or more than half as the defense has seen a lot more playing time recently.

I respect the desire to keep guys fresh and limit injuries however you are not going to compete in a higher class 5A or class 4A (Boyle) if you do not maximize the talent you have.

From what I see, HHS has a lot of guys dressing 74 total per their roster with 30 seniors. All the guys are working hard to get better and I am sure the coaches are looking at ways to get them on the field as best they can. However this is a drain on the talent pool of "eights" and "tens" and will have an affect on the teams performance.

I’ll also add that they need to be playing in their correct classification. They’ll never win a state title in 5A. Their state title game will always be CovCath.

Not a Highlands supporter by any means, but the term ALWAYS is a bit much. Highlands is down but the talent will cycle and they’ll be a top dog again. History says so. 10 years ago you could say CCH’s state title game will always be Highlands. To think Highlands will never win a state championship again despite the number of championships they have is simply not logical. Keep in mind the good majority of them if not all (not sure on the older ones) have been when paired with CCH!

Not a Highlands supporter by any means, but the term ALWAYS is a bit much. Highlands is down but the talent will cycle and they’ll be a top dog again. History says so. 10 years ago you could say CCH’s state title game will always be Highlands. Too think Highlands will never win a state championship again despite the number of championships they have is simply not logical. Keep in mind the good majority of them if not all (not sure on the older ones) have been when paired with CCH!

I hear you but I do feel pretty confident in saying they will never win a title again as long as they keep playing up. They may and should contend for one but I’ll be surprised if they ever have enough to pull it off in 5A. South Warren is one year away from taking over 5A.

If Highlands would play in their correct class they will win one again. I definitely believe that.

Not a Highlands supporter by any means, but the term ALWAYS is a bit much. Highlands is down but the talent will cycle and they’ll be a top dog again. History says so. 10 years ago you could say CCH’s state title game will always be Highlands. To think Highlands will never win a state championship again despite the number of championships they have is simply not logical. Keep in mind the good majority of them if not all (not sure on the older ones) have been when paired with CCH!

Good post, bb96...and count me as one who agrees with you. I think Highlands is down when it comes to talent right now. The interesting aspect of that statement, though, is that for the vast majority of their program's existence, Highlands has been able to consistently develop that talent as they have needed to. That's one of the questions I have right now. Where has that element of Highlands Football gone?

And also, even if your talent is lacking in some aspects, I think the coaching staff needs to realize when it's prudent to put players in on both sides of the ball, regardless of what their overall game plan is. That's true of any program, 1A through 6A. This isn't the NFL, and you can't look out on the free agency market and pick up a new player when you need to. If your talent is lacking somewhere and you have talented players elsewhere on your team, put thos players where the talent is needed. There's a saying about what it means to repeat the same actions over and over again while and expect different results, and I think that rings true here to a certain extent. Adapting your game plan is important an ability in being an effective coach as having a game plan to begin with. If something isn't working, you need to try something different.

For what it's worth, Highlands had 6 of their state championships (1930, 1943, 1957, 1960, 1961, 1964) before Cov Cath had a football program, and they had another 4 of their state championships (1968, 1970, 1975, 1981) before Cov Cath's football program had developed into much of a year-to-year power to speak of.