Let's talk about the Highlands Football State of The Union

On the coach part.... Brian Weinrich is outstanding and learned from the best as an assistant for Coach Mueller. Although I defend coaches and think overwhelmingly they make the right decision, most of the time, we all make mistakes. I am not claiming he is infallible. But, he is an exceptional coach and person. He also learned from one of the greatest of all time that was an incredible fit at Highlands.

When I was at Mason County, every chance I got, I tried to learn from the Highlands staff. I heard Brian at a clinic this summer.... these guys are still on top of their game and do an extraordinary job coaching football.

I would also add that experience is vastly underrated. Coach Weinrich is only going to grow into an even better and better coach.... which is scary because he is already very good.

I also think alot of David Trosper at Conner. He has worked his tail off. At some point, he and his staff/team deserve credit for a job well done. We beat Russell in 1997 and 2001. The Red Devils won a state title in 2006. We didn't beat them in those years because Ivan forgot how to coach or was a bad coach. We won those games because we were working like dogs and had good football players. And, they were still tough to beat.

Playing football at Highlands is special. Bumps in the road are ok and no one is immune from them. Sometimes, you appreciate the good times more after the rough spells.

Good luck to the Birds!

Just a question?

In your opinion how does a coach manage a game having 74 total players with 31 Seniors?

1) Play as many guys as you can by Platooning - Try and keep a good team chemistry

2) Play your best athletes, with some on both sides of the ball realizing a larger number of four year players will never see the field. Then deal with the issues that presents.

There are special teams but that is normally where some of the younger guys get on the field.

Looking at the roster the Junior's total 21 and the Soph total 22. So next year's player management may be a bit easier.

Just interested in how a coach approaches the Senior class?

Just a question?

In your opinion how does a coach manage a game having 74 total players with 31 Seniors?

1) Play as many guys as you can by Platooning - Try and keep a good team chemistry

2) Play your best athletes, with some on both sides of the ball realizing a larger number of four year players will never see the field. Then deal with the issues that presents.

There are special teams but that is normally where some of the younger guys get on the field.

Looking at the roster the Junior's total 21 and the Soph total 22. So next year's player management may be a bit easier.

Just interested in how a coach approaches the Senior class?

Sorry to be difficult, but without knowing the skill level and ability, etc. it is hard to say.

In general, if two players are of comparable ability, I would prefer that we play both guys, one on offense and one on defense.

The short answer, easy answer is what ever combination gave our team the best opportunity to win, that is what we would do. And, that determination would be driven by what we saw from our guys in practice and workouts everyday, along with performance in games.

Hope that somewhat answers your question.

And, 31 seniors would be very different for me. At Paris, we would have some really good teams with only 27 or 28 players. If I coached a team with 31 seniors, I would need to seek out the advice of coaches that have dealt with those numbers before. But, that would be a good circumstance!

Sorry to be difficult, but without knowing the skill level and ability, etc. it is hard to say.

In general, if two players are of comparable ability, I would prefer that we play both guys, one on offense and one on defense.

The short answer, easy answer is what ever combination gave our team the best opportunity to win, that is what we would do. And, that determination would be driven by what we saw from our guys in practice and workouts everyday, along with performance in games.

Hope that somewhat answers your question.

And, 31 seniors would be very different for me. At Paris, we would have some really good teams with only 27 or 28 players. If I coached a team with 31 seniors, I would need to seek out the advice of coaches that have dealt with those numbers before. But, that would be a good circumstance!

I completely understand there are a lot of conditions that need to be evaluated in making decisions on how to manage who gets time on the field.

The success that HHS had in the past has drawn more guys to the team. Also Dale and Brian both worked together to get the buy-in for platooning. Getting more guys involved, having them focus on one task, keeping players fresh and limiting injuries while having a winning season are very good goals. However, today looking at "this good circumstance" has its limitation. I believe when the talent of the players drop off, the larger numbers work against a teams success.

There is still football to play and I hope the coaches are seeking advise like you mentioned.

From my perspective I am sure the coaches are working to find ways to get the best players more time on the field.

Thanks for your input.

Geez guys. Saying Highlands will never win again in 5A is crazy. They will eventually win again. I think they got spoiled a bit when Mueller was there winning State every year. Look at Cov Cath, we had to go 11 years in between

our most recent state titles ( 2006, 2017). Cov Cath has had 3 great years in a row and it sounds like it's the end of the world for Highlands people. Besides, isn't Boyle Co the third best team in state based on rankings. Highlands has better shot of beating Covcath than they do Boyle this year. Anything can happen in a rivalry game especially when it's on the opponents field. Covcath better come ready to play next weekend because I know Highlands will be ready.

I’m just saying. Be prepared for South Warren to be a serious problem starting next year and beyond.

This thread doesn’t have anything to do with Boyle County. Most folks knew they would lose that game. This thread came up after they lost to Conner. Mentioning Boyle County in this thread is meaningless. They weren’t expected to win that game.

I’m just saying. Be prepared for South Warren to be a serious problem starting next year and beyond.

This thread doesn’t have anything to do with Boyle County. Most folks knew they would lose that game. This thread came up after they lost to Conner. Mentioning Boyle County in this thread is meaningless. They weren’t expected to win that game.

Because someone mentioned they would have better chance of winning State in 4A compared to 5A hence Boyle. Maybe not this year but as long as Boyle in 4A, Highlands would have tough time if they decide to drop down to 4A.

Because someone mentioned they would have better chance of winning State in 4A compared to 5A hence Boyle. Maybe not this year but as long as Boyle in 4A, Highlands would have tough time if they decide to drop down to 4A.

I’d rather take my chances against Boyle County, Johnson Central, LexCath, Franklin Simpson, Central, etc than CovCath, South Warren, BG, Scott County, Frederick Douglass, Pulaski County. Especially knowing that Boyle County and LexCath are playing up. They will both have the same talent cycles as Highlands.

I’d rather take my chances against Boyle County, Johnson Central, LexCath, Franklin Simpson, Central, etc than CovCath, South Warren, BG, Scott County, Frederick Douglass, Pulaski County. Especially knowing that Boyle County and LexCath are playing up. They will both have the same talent cycles as Highlands.

This!

Arrogance? How do? Biggest reason for not moving was to stay with CovCath who if I remember correctly was not far from being 4A. Other reason is not wanting to be in a district where you have to travel an hour plus to play district games.

If the goal of the Highlands Football Program is to play in a nice district, then it is Highlands excellence, if the goal of the Highlands Football Program is to win a state championship, then it is Highlands arrogance.

Arrogance? How do? Biggest reason for not moving was to stay with CovCath who if I remember correctly was not far from being 4A. Other reason is not wanting to be in a district where you have to travel an hour plus to play district games.

For the last 4 years in 4a, only one of their district games would have been an more than an hour away (Bourbon County) Holmes and Scott are 15 minutes, Mason and Harrison would have been right at an hour. Not that big of a deal. Currently, yes Boyd and Rowan are in that district and are good trips. But Scott (whom they already play in this 2 year cycle) and Holmes are still right down the road. And if you do it right, scheduling one of the long trips at home and the other away, you're adding 1 hour+ long trip a year. The travel argument is silly, especially when they've regularly made long trips for non district games. When did Highlands suddenly start caring about a long road trip?

Edited by rjs4470

For the last 4 years in 4a, only one of their district games would have been an more than an hour away (Bourbon County) Holmes and Scott are 15 minutes, Mason and Harrison would have been right at an hour. Not that big of a deal. Currently, yes Boyd and Rowan are in that district and are good trips. But Scott (whom they already play in this 2 year cycle) and Holmes are still right down the road. And if you do it right, scheduling one of the long trips at home and the other away, you're adding 1 hour+ long trip a year. The travel argument is silly, especially when they've regularly made long trips for non district games. When did Highlands suddenly start caring about a long road trip?

When the current coach took over. The trips this year were an outlier as Highlands had to give up a home game.

The thing that amazes with all of this is those that think Highlands will NEVER win again. The same thing was said many times before and they have won them since.

The Dale run will not be matched anytime soon by anyone at Highlands and to keep comparing to those years Just is not apples to apples.

I agree with what someone stated previously in that BW is a good football coach and I think he has been a victim of giving assistant coaches way to much leeway, ala the benching of Hollingsworth last week.

I agree with what someone stated previously in that BW is a good football coach and I think he has been a victim of giving assistant coaches way to much leeway, ala the benching of Hollingsworth last week.

So then you don't think BW needs to go, but you think he needs to delegate less to his assistants?