Let's talk about the Highlands Football State of The Union

12 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

What do you mean, exactly?

When Dale was coach, football was king and was first in line for everything.  Now, football ‘shares’ with other sports and activities.

Last week during preparation for biggest game of the year, have to share field with another non-sport activity.

In the days of Dale, that never happened which may have included Junior Football League teams having to move their practice time and/or place.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Bill W. said:

Everyone knows I'm a Hergott fan but I believe if he would've stayed at Highlands he would have bigger offers.

20 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Nope. Disagree completely. Players from Paintsville KY get D1 scholarships. Coaches will find talent and players can go to camps to get exposure. Hergott has played in a state championship and was the MVP. That exposure would not have happened at Highlands. 

This happens all the time season after season with players. The people who know the players always think they are going to get a bigger scholarship.  Look at AJ Mayer and all he accomplished at Covington Catholic and he ended up with a MAC scholarship. 

I agree with @Voice of Reason @Bill W., Highlands and Beechwood are both fine schools but there is no reason to believe Highlands would offer anything additional to Cam at this point given the exposure all players have in 2020.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Nope. Disagree completely. Players from Paintsville KY get D1 scholarships. Coaches will find talent and players can go to camps to get exposure. Hergott has played in a state championship and was the MVP. That exposure would not have happened at Highlands. 

This happens all the time season after season with players. The people who know the players always think they are going to get a bigger scholarship.  Look at AJ Mayer and all he accomplished at Covington Catholic and he ended up with a MAC scholarship. 

Not that there is anything wrong with a MAC scholarship. In Mayer's case, a great school while getting to continue his football career is not a bad deal.

Just now, colonel-fan said:

Not that there is anything wrong with a MAC scholarship. In Mayer's case, a great school while getting to continue your football career is not a bad deal.

Absolutely! Miami is an excellent school. My point there is many people thought AJ was headed to a Power 5 conference. If he were at a smaller school, I am sure people would be saying he would have received better and more offers if he had attended a bigger school. 

• Like 2

Just now, Voice of Reason said:

Absolutely! Miami is an excellent school. My point there is many people thought AJ was headed to a Power 5 conference. If he were at a smaller school, I am sure people would be saying he would have received better and more offers if he had attended a bigger school. 

Agree with the logic VoR.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

This is one of the most true things I've read on here. Most parents, family, friends, etc. don't realize how good you have to be to play Division 1 football. I encourage most fans to watch the hudl film (it's free) of not just the top guys going to the best schools, but even the guys "only" going to a smaller or not as prestigious power 5 school at your son/friend's position. Those guys are absolute killers as well, just a step slower or a little smaller than the guys ending up at OSU, Bama, Clemson, etc. 

For example, Beau Allen torched CovCath last year and was maybe the best HS QB I've seen and yet was "only" a 3 star going to UK. 

AJ was an outstanding player, but I had other parents or fans tell me he should've been this massive recruit and then I'd go watch a random 3 star kid going to an average ACC or Big 10 school and there was no comparison with how they threw the ball. I think it's important to keep that perspective. 

• Like 2