Let's talk about the Highlands Football State of The Union

For what it's worth, Highlands had 6 of their state championships (1930, 1943, 1957, 1960, 1961, 1964) before Cov Cath had a football program, and they had another 4 of their state championships (1968, 1970, 1975, 1981) before Cov Cath's football program had developed into much of a year-to-year power to speak of.

So Highlands has only won 16 championships since Cov Cath became a football "power".

Geez guys. Saying Highlands will never win again in 5A is crazy. They will eventually win again. I think they got spoiled a bit when Mueller was there winning State every year. Look at Cov Cath, we had to go 11 years in between

our most recent state titles ( 2006, 2017). Cov Cath has had 3 great years in a row and it sounds like it's the end of the world for Highlands people. Besides, isn't Boyle Co the third best team in state based on rankings. Highlands has better shot of beating Covcath than they do Boyle this year. Anything can happen in a rivalry game especially when it's on the opponents field. Covcath better come ready to play next weekend because I know Highlands will be ready.

So Highlands has only won 16 championships since Cov Cath became a football "power".

Power was just the word I came up with as I was typing that post. I didn't mean anything in particular by it...just that playing Cov Cath or beating Cov Cath didn't really mean a whole lot to stronger programs until quite a while after we initially started our football team.

But still, 16 championships in 37 years for Highlands, that's saying something. That figures out to a state title in 1 of every 2.3 years...not quite every other year, but close to it. 16 championships still would keep them at #2 in the state for the most total.

Of the 8 names you mentioned, 4 of them were quarterbacks, which imo has been the most glaring position that has struggled since the 2014 season. There has been and continues to be no development of the quarterback position. Seems like someone on the staff is not paying to close attention to what is in the pipeline or not in the pipeline. Just another example of not adapting to the personnel that you have each year and thinking the ways of old are good enough.

For those that say Highlands will not win state in 5A, they already have.

Main reason for wanting to play up is to stay with CovCath and not have to travel all over to play district games. Weinrich wanted to play 4A and he was overruled from what I remember.

You mean 3 of them were QB's. Hoge never took a snap under Mueller! He was a WR.

You mean 3 of them were QB's. Hoge never took a snap under Mueller! He was a WR.

Did Beau Hoge not play quarterback in 2014? And didn’t Highlands win a state title that year?

I think the point @Bluebird99 was trying to make was that Hoge played wide receiver under Coach Mueller and played quarterback under Coach Weinrich.

I don't know whether or not that's accurate though. Highlands' 2011 varsity roster lists Hoge as a freshman QB, 2012 listed him as a WR/QB, 2013 listed him as a WR/QB, and then 2014 listed him as a QB.

I think the point @Bluebird99 was trying to make was that Hoge played wide receiver under Coach Mueller and played quarterback under Coach Weinrich.

I don't know whether or not that's accurate though. Highlands' 2011 varsity roster lists Hoge as a freshman QB, 2012 listed him as a WR/QB, 2013 listed him as a WR/QB, and then 2014 listed him as a QB.

Hoge was always a QB, but much like Donovan McCoy, he played some receiver because of his athletic skill set.

Yup, and Weinrich was the coach!

Weinrich was the HC of the past two state championships. Mueller could not attend the game in 2012 and Weinrich coached them to a shutout win. In 2014 the Birds were down I think 21 points, made adjustments and got the win. Weinrichs strategic coaching abilities are never in question at least to me. I think he gives too much power to his assistants. When he ran the O, they’d win games 63-59. Now he runs D and the D is good offense sputters. He should just run the whole thing.

I meant to quote bluebird99.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue
Edited in the correct quote.

On the coach part.... Brian Weinrich is outstanding and learned from the best as an assistant for Coach Mueller. Although I defend coaches and think overwhelmingly they make the right decision, most of the time, we all make mistakes. I am not claiming he is infallible. But, he is an exceptional coach and person. He also learned from one of the greatest of all time that was an incredible fit at Highlands.

When I was at Mason County, every chance I got, I tried to learn from the Highlands staff. I heard Brian at a clinic this summer.... these guys are still on top of their game and do an extraordinary job coaching football.

I would also add that experience is vastly underrated. Coach Weinrich is only going to grow into an even better and better coach.... which is scary because he is already very good.

I also think alot of David Trosper at Conner. He has worked his tail off. At some point, he and his staff/team deserve credit for a job well done. We beat Russell in 1997 and 2001. The Red Devils won a state title in 2006. We didn't beat them in those years because Ivan forgot how to coach or was a bad coach. We won those games because we were working like dogs and had good football players. And, they were still tough to beat.

Playing football at Highlands is special. Bumps in the road are ok and no one is immune from them. Sometimes, you appreciate the good times more after the rough spells.

Good luck to the Birds!

I think the marriage between Eddie Eviston and CCH is just as much to "blame" for the lack of new family transplants in Ft. Thomas as Mueller's retirement.

Bingo. Let’s all face it, CovCath is cleaning house lately with injecting $$$ into the school, sports facilities, coaches, etc. Heck, the “With a Spirit that will Not Die” banner wrapping the backside of their new bleachers was more of an expense than most NKY school’s budget is for coaches salaries. I know, I know. All raised through private funds. But my point is aligned with NKY Raiders. When you build programs at college levels, like CCH is, with the best coaches, kids want to go there. The best athletes want to be a part of it. IMO, that is why top athletes are going to CCH. Don’t believe me, check out the basketball roster. Highlands is and will be fine. Playing some good teams is all.