Remembering Jared Lorenzen

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember the game I was at, with the Guru but I was able to have a one on one conversation with the hefty lefty on the sideline. He was cool enough to speak with me about 15 minutes or so. We discussed on his attempt to make it back to the NFL and I said man, I hope you not only make it but make it with my team Dallas. He laughed in a good way and said that would be fine with him.

For him a moment in time, he probably never gave a second thought to but meant a lot to me. So in my eyes he was a awesome guy. God bless to him and prayers to his family and friends.

I had the fortune (or, as it went more often than not in my high school days, the misfortune) of being on the football team opposing Jared Lorenzen on multiple occasions. On the varsity football field, Jared's Highlands Bluebirds played Covington Catholic four times between the 1997 and 1998 seasons - twice during regular season district play, and twice during the playoffs. Both years the team who won the playoffs went on to win the AAA state title.

Seeing Jared Lorenzen in his Highlands jersey was a sight. An intimidation factor, and an enormous challenge. During pre-game, the Bluebirds coaches used to put him on one knee at the 50 yard line and just have him throw the ball for distance. You'd usually see the football bouncing in the endzone after he rifled it down the field.

He was a big high schooler, and an even bigger high school quarterback. But he was nimble, he could move, and he could make plays happen. There wasn't much more frustrating than watching Jared hurl the ball down the field for a first down completion to Derek Smith or Randy Stegman after your D put on solid pressure and made him scramble 15 yards out of the pocket. It was even deflating when those passes made for a touchdown.

Jared went on to even greater things at UK in college football. National attention. Highlight footage on SportsCenter and memorable nicknames from the ESPN personalities. Then he made it to the NFL, and even got himself a Superbowl ring with the Giants. But it's the 16 and 17 year old, high school football playing, state championship winning Jared Lorenzen that I'll remember best.

Rest in peace, Jared.

Never saw him play in person in HS, but I was still living in NoKy at the time and fondly recall how glorious his HS highlights were, and how the Cincy TV stations had to hold their nose and come across the river to Ky to cover Highlands during his days. The footage was just too good, with him bouncing would-be tacklers off of him like he was playing against 6-year-olds.

Saw him and Derrick play in the sweet 16 tourney. He was also talented on the basketball court. Special angels for his children and family. BBN lost a great one today.

They were so much fun to watch at Rupp. I can’t imagine the show they put on the football field.

I actually remember Jared the basketball player, moreso than the football quarterback.

I can visualize him coming out of a game, having a seat on the bench, leaning forward with sweat dripping from his forehead and off of his chin, staring straight ahead. Grabbing a towel from a teammate or manager and giving his face a quick swipe. Patting a teammate as he walked past, and then focusing completely on the action taking place in front of him. Jared Lorenzen was a warrior!

I also remember Jared Lorenzen and Derek Smith being 1 and 1a. They were brutally tough on the hardwood, and teamed up to do great things at Highlands and UK on the gridiron. One complimented the other. This has to be a tough day for Derek Smith.

So sad to hear of Jared's passing. Very tragic for his family, community, schools and the state. A true legend!

I believe it was around 1993. I worked with Steve Preston. He was coaching the Raiders Junior level pee wee football team in N. Ky. Steve kept telling me I needed to come out and see his team. He said he had a QB that was unreal. I went to a game and Steve was right. His QB was fantastic. That was the first time I saw Jared Lorenzen play. Of course I followed his career from that point on. Unfortunately, Steve had health challenges and passed away four years ago. Now Jared has also passed away at a far too young age. I was shocked to hear this news today. I keep thinking about that young left handed QB I saw in that pee wee football game. Prayers to his family. RIP Jared.