3A Championship: Covington Catholic vs Bowling Green

stick1

Who wins the 3A state title?  

267 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the 3A state title?

I spoke to Mark Wehry and Jason Elfers. While they haven't narrowed it down quite yet, they are well on their way to knowing where Bowling Green is located. They know its south of Williamstown.

Why do they have to know where BG is? Remember were playing at Papa Johns.:banana:

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CCH has already played well in bad weather twice this year, rainy and cold, and the temp at LexCath was about 30 degrees.

Weather will be a non-factor for this team.

Again, I was there, thanks.

We'll see what kind of factor it is; obviously, I hope you are right and it doesn't slow down the passing attack.

Bowling Green will need it's best defensive effort of the year, including the bally-hoo'd St. Xavier game. I'm not sure anyone is convinced that St. X is better than CovCath right now.

CovCath wins, just like in 94 when you started on your mission impossible.....

That mission ended in 1995 with a State Championship over the Bluebirds who consequently put you all out that year.

The first post was that CovCath wouldn't scoore 14 then wouldn't score more than 28. Big difference between the two.....

The first post gave you all 14 points, thus not less than 14. The second post simply said you would not break 28 points. That doesn't mean you'll score 27, just that I don't think you'll break 28, hence 14 is less than 28.

Close game, but wait, have you heard about out Place Kicker....Popham....you do have a place kicker that kicks 50+ yard FG and makes them don't you?

Being that BG's kicker has already been All-State as well as being offered a D1-AA scholarship, I'll go out on a limb here and say that BG will be "ok" in their kicking game.

On a final note, I notice that you are awfully bold about you prediction of BG's medioricty, but seem hesitant to predict a score.

Actually, to be completely technical, Tinius has a scholarship offer from Western. Western is now a going to the Sunbelt conference as a D1A school. I believe WVU is also interested in Tinius. Tinius is an excellent soccer player. BG's boys soccer team won their state championship this year. In the shadows of Tinius is another soccer player, Matt Simpson, who can kick as well as Tinius. I don't know either's longest distances or records. CC's kicker's record is excellent. The very cold temps. expected for Friday will dilute the kicking game somewhat for both teams.

On a final note, I notice that you are awfully bold about you prediction of BG's medioricty, but seem hesitant to predict a score.

The weather will play a factor in this game, and I am not talking cold, rain, or snow, but wind.....The long range weather forecast at the moment doesn't say whether it will be windy or not, but a strong wind can hurt a passing game. Now CovCath can run, and does so very well, but when you have such a balanced offense as CovCath does, having one of your weapons hindered by the elements....can hurt...and against such a good team as BG, you need to have all you weapons available for you to use.

I will come out with a prediction closer to the day of the game....

As for as your kicker, congrats to him on the offer from WKU and I wish him the best. Having strong special teams, is one of the reasons for the success of CovCath this season....

Depending on the type of running game BG possess, they may be able to keep this close. If they can put together drives in which they average 4-5 yds a carry and keep the ball out of the Cov. Cath's offenses hands, then I could see this one going down to the wire.

Cov. Cath has the most explosive and balanced offense that I have seen since I watched JC played Chocthaw FL back in 2002. They have great speed all the way across which allows them to run stretch plays and let there back find a hole and then explode through it. I also noticed that they tend to run alot of what I call "pick" plays in which the recievers run there routes within 2 yds of each other in order to pick the defenders off of them. And everyone already knows they have big and fast recievers that can burn you deep.

In my opinion it will take an exceptional game all the way around for BG to pull this one off but if they do then like many have said they will have definately earned it. My prediction:

Cov. Cath: 35

Bowling Green: 21

I gotta go with BG in this one, but I must say that I am biased.;)

Good luck Purples!:flame:

I normally always root for NKY teams in championship games, however, I do not want to offend my friends. Go Purple. :thumb:

Bowling green implemented a whole new offense this season after several early playoff losses ,excluding last years loss in the finals. BG now will go to the shotgun with 3-4 wideouts and throw reasonably well if needed. The only problem is that they have played such poor competition until the last two playoff games I question wether or not they can pass against a strong defense like Covcaths. They do have a 6'6" wideout with good speed and hands that is hard to match up with. I still feel their passing game will be a nonfactor if covcath can pressure the qb like I think they will. I do know BG's defense will not stop Covcaths passing game. Still have to give BG credit for radically revamping their offensive in one year, at least now they have the ability to score quickly via the pass if they get behind early. Hopefully the coach from Ft. Thomas will do the same for next year.

The forecast for Friday night, however, may play into BG's hands. Freezing cold with snow flurries.

How is that weather forecast an advantage for Bowling Green? Both teams have played in relatively the same weather as each other all season and both teams will be playing in the same weather as each other Friday night.

How is that weather forecast an advantage for Bowling Green? Both teams have played in relatively the same weather as each other all season and both teams will be playing in the same weather as each other Friday night.

Bowling Green prefers to run the ball. While CovCath can run the ball very well, we tend to set it up off of the pass. Freezing cold (in the low 20's) with a swirling wind and snow flurries may make that tough to do. Hopefully the wind stays down and Josh, Peter, and Bo can keep doing what they've been doing.

Relax bro, I'm rooting for the same team you are.