3A Championship: Covington Catholic vs Bowling Green

stick1

Who wins the 3A state title?  

267 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the 3A state title?

From the Lexington Herald-Leader:

Purples hoping history repeats itself

Less than an hour after Bowling Green lost to Lexington Catholic in the Class 3A finals last year, Purples Coach Kevin Wallace gave his players a history lesson.

He told them about how Bowling Green lost to Covington Catholic in the 1994 title game but came back the next year to beat Highlands for the championship.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Herald-Leader article:

A BG Coach Wallace quote:

They may not have the marquee names, but they have really good skill-position players and an outstanding offensive line," Wallace said. "We haven't played anybody as big and physical as they are.

Hmmm. Was St. X not as big and physical as CovCath? I'm guessing some coach-speak going on here.

Those are some impressive stats for the Colonels. I sure hope we can hang with you guys.

A team ranked #1 in the BGP 3A poll all year and with only one loss on the season to a 4A power should be able to hang with anybody. Not to mention BG played that X game missing important starters. Once they got them back BG has run roughshod over most of their opponents.

I wasn't trying to underplay BG. I think they have a great team. The Colonels have played a more difficult schedule, and are highly favored to win tommorrow night. I haven't seen them play, but those are some impressive stats. 225 tackes for Flynn! It sounds like they are a very well balanced team, and the Purples will truly be put to the test. Obviously I hope the Purples win. They are a great bunch of kids who have worked very hard to make it back to the State Championship.

I wasn't trying to underplay BG. I think they have a great team. The Colonels have played a more difficult schedule, and are highly favored to win tommorrow night. I haven't seen them play, but those are some impressive stats. 225 tackes for Flynn! It sounds like they are a very well balanced team, and the Purples will truly be put to the test. Obviously I hope the Purples win. They are a great bunch of kids who have worked very hard to make it back to the State Championship.

:thumb:

I look forward to a great game.

There seems to be a lot of speculation about what BG is and is not. I have watched this BG team develop over the past three years. They have dominated everyone in Western KY except for Hoptown (Curtis Pulley). These are my observations.

BG's kicking game is sound. Tinius will usually put the ball out of the endzone on kickoffs. The punting game is solid including coverage. Speed to burn downfield. He will get the job done, if needed on field goals.

The BG running game, in my opinion, is their strength. It is what the Bowling Green program has been about since before Dan Haley. Avery Hibbit, while not possessing blazing speed, is a very good back. He has great balance and strength and is a patient runner. He will give his blockers a chance then accelerate through the hole. Hibbit is not the only horse in the stable. The Purples have some other backs that are faster and can get the job done.

Stuart Hines is as good an offensive lineman as you will see. He is not massive by today's standards--6'4" 275 lbs, but he is lean and has excellent technique. He gets on his blocks and stays there. Hines has made Avery Hibbit famous.

Steelman gets the job done at quarterback. He is not a D-1 prospect or evern 1-AA, but he is a good high school QB. He is a three year starter, is very determined (witness his comeback this year from a broken collarbone) and smart. Bowling Green has a couple of very good receivers one of which is Ryan Beard.

Bowling Green's defense is solid. LB Tucker Jackson is smart, tough and quick to the ball. The BG secondary is anchored by Beard and will not, I don't think, give up much.

Overall I don't think I have seen a BG team as focused as this one. They have gone about their business all year with a workmanlike frame of mind. There is no trash talk, no taunting, none of the stuff that has plagued some of these teams in the past. In other words, they have the look and demeanor of a champion.

I have watched Bowling Green play football for fifty years. Grew up with is and wore the colors. This is one of the top three or four teams ever.

Now who will win? When you compare BG's body of work with that of CovCath's it might be said that CovCath's is more impressive. However I firmly believe that a healthy Bowling Green would have beaten St. X by at least two touchdowns. That changes all perspective. BG has pretty well had every game since St. X well in hand by halftime. Which could work against them.

If BG is patient and utilizes the running game for ball control, uses the kicking game and defense for field position and the passing game when least expected they have an excellent shot. If they come out throwing and are impatient CovCath will win.

Go BG.

There seems to be a lot of speculation about what BG is and is not. I have watched this BG team develop over the past three years. They have dominated everyone in Western KY except for Hoptown (Curtis Pulley). These are my observations.

BG's kicking game is sound. Tinius will usually put the ball out of the endzone on kickoffs. The punting game is solid including coverage. Speed to burn downfield. He will get the job done, if needed on field goals.

The BG running game, in my opinion, is their strength. It is what the Bowling Green program has been about since before Dan Haley. Avery Hibbit, while not possessing blazing speed, is a very good back. He has great balance and strength and is a patient runner. He will give his blockers a chance then accelerate through the hole. Hibbit is not the only horse in the stable. The Purples have some other backs that are faster and can get the job done.

Stuart Hines is as good an offensive lineman as you will see. He is not massive by today's standards--6'4" 275 lbs, but he is lean and has excellent technique. He gets on his blocks and stays there. Hines has made Avery Hibbit famous.

Steelman gets the job done at quarterback. He is not a D-1 prospect or evern 1-AA, but he is a good high school QB. He is a three year starter, is very determined (witness his comeback this year from a broken collarbone) and smart. Bowling Green has a couple of very good receivers one of which is Ryan Beard.

Bowling Green's defense is solid. LB Tucker Jackson is smart, tough and quick to the ball. The BG secondary is anchored by Beard and will not, I don't think, give up much.

Overall I don't think I have seen a BG team as focused as this one. They have gone about their business all year with a workmanlike frame of mind. There is no trash talk, no taunting, none of the stuff that has plagued some of these teams in the past. In other words, they have the look and demeanor of a champion.

I have watched Bowling Green play football for fifty years. Grew up with is and wore the colors. This is one of the top three or four teams ever.

Now who will win? When you compare BG's body of work with that of CovCath's it might be said that CovCath's is more impressive. However I firmly believe that a healthy Bowling Green would have beaten St. X by at least two touchdowns. That changes all perspective. BG has pretty well had every game since St. X well in hand by halftime. Which could work against them.

If BG is patient and utilizes the running game for ball control, uses the kicking game and defense for field position and the passing game when least expected they have an excellent shot. If they come out throwing and are impatient CovCath will win.

Go BG.

Nice analysis. Do you think if BG gets behind early they will be patient enough to stay with the game plan?

Have they faced anybody with a good passing attack?

Steelman gets the job done at quarterback. He is not a D-1 prospect or evern 1-AA, but he is a good high school QB.

All this reminds me of a team CCH has played and beaten, twice. Anyone?

Offensive patience is the big question mark to me. Two years ago it, lack of patience, cost them a shot at the regional championship.

Warren Central has a good passing attack and BG dismantled them. Actually dismantled is kind of soft. They set Central back...maybe so much so that it had a negative impact on Central's entire season.

For me this is one of their strengths-patience. They have played on their heels several times this year, some due to injury, some due to their own mistakes, but they have yet to fall apart. Sometimes I feel Steelman (who is so competetive, but I love it) tries to force things to happen, but he is playing much smarter this year. So far this group of players has been pretty cool under pressure. Of course a State Championship is a whole new level of pressure.