Covington Catholic vs. Johnson Central

ochenta siete

Who wins?  

292 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

ua... Polls aren't for the heart, they're for the head. Don't confuse one with some kind of loyalty test.

You need to understand, among the 3A eastern teams recently, only Bell Co. and Rockcastle Co. have garnered a measure of respect outside Region 4.

It goes back to what I posted after Central's win over Rock - the next game is for statewide respect.

:bunny:

I have no hard feelings towards anybody that votes against JC, or a mountain team for that matter.

Statewide respect... Do you really think Johnson Central will finally get some respect when they win tomorrow night?

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark it down, if they win tomorrow night, they will have earned the respect of a lot of people all over this state.

They already have the respect of everyone in EKY and everyone who has seen them play. But a win over CCH will open some eyes, and an appearance in the title game will make an impression.

I have no hard feelings towards anybody that votes against JC, or a mountain team for that matter.

Statewide respect... Do you really think Johnson Central will finally get some respect when they win tomorrow night?

No doubt about it. When you beat a Northern KY school people will notice it.

Johnson Central has only had 1 other season like this. That was in 2000 when JC went 11-1 and won the AAAA, District 8 championship.

I think the first football team was in 1971, or somewhere around there.

I am hoping a Central win tomorrow night turns into the beginning of a run like Boyle County had. Public school, in a relatively rural part of the state, doing it with good athletes and great coaching...it could happen.

I would love for JC to upset CovCath and advance to play Central (if they are able to upset BG). Could you imagine the story lines in the paper leading up to game. Inner-city Louisville team takes on Easter Kentucky for all the Marbles at PJCS. Plus all that black and gold on both sides would be cool.

I would love for JC to upset CovCath and advance to play Central (if they are able to upset BG). Could you imagine the story lines in the paper leading up to game. Inner-city Louisville team takes on Easter Kentucky for all the Marbles at PJCS. Plus all that black and gold on both sides would be cool.

And both schools have central in their name.

I mentioned this earlier in the year in the first meeting with Ashland and feel that it may be appropriate here... with all the meaning this game has for the JC program my biggest fear for JC is that, like other mAtney teams, they are too emotionally charged. The best thing that could ever happen to JC is the fact that this game fell on Thanksgiving weekend because with all the hype and festivities goig on in Johnson County it would be really easy for the Eagles to become too emotional.

That being said, I honestly think that CCH is 2-3 TD better than JC.. but... I feel this will be a JC team who is going to be super prepared, with a definitive homefield advantage, and a sense of wanting that will help them close the gap. CCH should win this game, but if JC can force turnovers and mental errors and play flawless they CAN advance to Louisville and instantly put their program on another level.

I bet this is big for JC, but I can assure you that CovCath boys are as fired up. They may be considered a powerhouse year in and year out, but LexCath and Highlands were always in the way, and as long as these seniors have been at CCH, those two have been unpassable.

Honestly, in an emotional battle, I think CovCath is just way too much, and scores on its first 4 drives. I don't think anyone will stop Sutton (on O or D) and I think the CovCath defense will make a statement that they are not a weak defense (and the Post reporter indicated to some CovCath players), and rather, they are the best in 3A. JC will give it all, but I think that Colonels will be too much.

Points of Interest That I'm Excited to Watch:

CovCath's 3-3-5 stack will give Johnson Central's lineman problems, particularly the 3 interior players of JC's line, if they are not good athletes with good feet. Assuming that they run a man blocking scheme (as opposed to a zone scheme) becuase they are a wishbone team, they will almost be forced to double or at least chip the nose to the second level backers unless the center on their team is an excellent offensive lineman and can handle Nathan Kater by himself. If your guards aren't quick then good luck blocking Sam Flynn, who eventhough sideline to sideline he isn't excatly Brian Urlacher, he has quick feet inside and uses his hands well. Also, and I'm not sure if JC runs the veer or outside veer or not because I have never seen them play, but with the OLB stacked above the 4 techniques and another OLB/Rover type player off the edge, the read is difficult for the QB (if Matney or whoever calls the play actually lets him read it anyways and doesn't designate the ball carrier in the huddle). That same point applies if they are a true triple option team as well. With that being said, how many times have the JC lineman ever really seen a front of this style? Experience is big and before you can block someone you have to know your assignment and be confident that your right first. So, when JC has the ball, the play of JC's interior line is the factor because eventhough in some cases I agree that a great back makes an average line look good, a great back can only make a poor line look average. Average doesn't get you to Louisville.

When CCH has the ball, I hope when I read that JC had played zone defense one time all year was sincerely a joke (or I simply read it wrong). Man coverage, while alright if you have the athletes to cover, will get you burnt unless you can get to the quarterback in less than 3-5 seconds depending on the routes. The Ohio teams that beat CovCath can do that and put the rest in the box and control the run and/or get after the QB. While JC may have 1 or 2 kids who can keep up with the Kurt Bovard and Pete Sutton, a 3rd and 4th player who can do it is highly unlikely (not really a knock on JC but who in the state really does) . Plus if these cover guys are going both ways, thats a lot of running in one evening of football. Hopefully JC will be able to play zone D better than what has been portrayed on this thread. As far as the running game, I understand that JC has a linebacker who is supposedly D1 and runs well, and that will help, but with the type of "stretch" running that CCH does, they will need D-Lineman to be able to turn and run sideways to stop the cutback and aid in backside pursuit. There D-Line better be athletic and I'm excited to watch what happens when CCH puts it on the ground.

As far as a prediction, I'm a CCH alum who is very close to a bunch of these guys so I'm completely biased if you couldn't tell by my above topics. Of course, I think CCH will win this game and if it was at home at the friendly confindes of Wooten Field playing on field turf I'd say 63-0 or something ridiculous. But, it isn't and I know what my legs feel like everytime I get out of the car after the 3 1/2 hour trip to see my grandparents in Eastern Kentucky (Prestonsburg to be exact). So, with that, and the fact that emotions are going to be running wild, this game will be close for the first half;however, I just can't see JC keeping it close in the end and CCH pulls away in the 2nd half.

CCH - 45

JC - 14

Take care of business fellas.