Covington Catholic vs. Johnson Central

ochenta siete

Who wins?  

292 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This may be somewhere else on this massive thread...but where can we hear game tomorrow night...we are out of state? Internet link? Wish both teams well, but will be pulling for our Regional Champ, The Eagles.

See Post #358

Of course it is a CovCath link but....

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Points of Interest That I'm Excited to Watch:

CovCath's 3-3-5 stack will give Johnson Central's lineman problems, particularly the 3 interior players of JC's line, if they are not good athletes with good feet. Assuming that they run a man blocking scheme (as opposed to a zone scheme) becuase they are a wishbone team, they will almost be forced to double or at least chip the nose to the second level backers unless the center on their team is an excellent offensive lineman and can handle Nathan Kater by himself. If your guards aren't quick then good luck blocking Sam Flynn, who eventhough sideline to sideline he isn't excatly Brian Urlacher, he has quick feet inside and uses his hands well. Also, and I'm not sure if JC runs the veer or outside veer or not because I have never seen them play, but with the OLB stacked above the 4 techniques and another OLB/Rover type player off the edge, the read is difficult for the QB (if Matney or whoever calls the play actually lets him read it anyways and doesn't designate the ball carrier in the huddle). That same point applies if they are a true triple option team as well. With that being said, how many times have the JC lineman ever really seen a front of this style? Experience is big and before you can block someone you have to know your assignment and be confident that your right first. So, when JC has the ball, the play of JC's interior line is the factor because eventhough in some cases I agree that a great back makes an average line look good, a great back can only make a poor line look average. Average doesn't get you to Louisville.

When CCH has the ball, I hope when I read that JC had played zone defense one time all year was sincerely a joke (or I simply read it wrong). Man coverage, while alright if you have the athletes to cover, will get you burnt unless you can get to the quarterback in less than 3-5 seconds depending on the routes. The Ohio teams that beat CovCath can do that and put the rest in the box and control the run and/or get after the QB. While JC may have 1 or 2 kids who can keep up with the Kurt Bovard and Pete Sutton, a 3rd and 4th player who can do it is highly unlikely (not really a knock on JC but who in the state really does) . Plus if these cover guys are going both ways, thats a lot of running in one evening of football. Hopefully JC will be able to play zone D better than what has been portrayed on this thread. As far as the running game, I understand that JC has a linebacker who is supposedly D1 and runs well, and that will help, but with the type of "stretch" running that CCH does, they will need D-Lineman to be able to turn and run sideways to stop the cutback and aid in backside pursuit. There D-Line better be athletic and I'm excited to watch what happens when CCH puts it on the ground.

As far as a prediction, I'm a CCH alum who is very close to a bunch of these guys so I'm completely biased if you couldn't tell by my above topics. Of course, I think CCH will win this game and if it was at home at the friendly confindes of Wooten Field playing on field turf I'd say 63-0 or something ridiculous. But, it isn't and I know what my legs feel like everytime I get out of the car after the 3 1/2 hour trip to see my grandparents in Eastern Kentucky (Prestonsburg to be exact). So, with that, and the fact that emotions are going to be running wild, this game will be close for the first half;however, I just can't see JC keeping it close in the end and CCH pulls away in the 2nd half.

CCH - 45

JC - 14

Take care of business fellas.

Nice breakdown of CovCath. It's ok to be biased. I respect your opinion of you thinking they will jusr run all over JC but I believe that's where knowledge of both teams should come in to play. JC doesn't have the leading defensive back in interceptions by accident.(Ian Welch Sophomore Safety 14 INTS). They don't have a D-I linebacker and 2 all-state linebackers by accident either.(Johnson and Tackett). This will be one of the quickest and most physical teams CovCath has played all year bar none. JC may not get the credit they deserve because the're stuck in the hills but come Friday night at 7:30 PM at The Nest, these northerners will find out quick how good these boys really are.

Nice breakdown of CovCath. It's ok to be biased. I respect your opinion of you thinking they will jusr run all over JC but I believe that's where knowledge of both teams should come in to play. JC doesn't have the leading defensive back in interceptions by accident.(Ian Welch Sophomore Safety 14 INTS). They don't have a D-I linebacker and 2 all-state linebackers by accident either.(Johnson and Tackett). This will be one of the quickest and most physical teams CovCath has played all year bar none. JC may not get the credit they deserve because the're stuck in the hills but come Friday night at 7:30 PM at The Nest, these northerners will find out quick how good these boys really are.

Really? CovCath has played LexCath, Highlands, Cincy St. X, Cincy Elder, and Columbus Watterson. If JC is quicker than LexCath or Highlands or more physical than Cincy Elder, Cincy X, or Watterson, then I will be most impressed.

:thumb:

I really hope JC is just as good as advertised because I'm making the trip to see a competitive football game (along with being able to see family). Don't worry about "these northerners" finding out how good these guys are. They know because they are prepared. Shell shock is not a factor after you play the likes of Elder and St. X multiple times in a high school career like these guys have. If JC is as physical and as talented as those teams are, then I will have no problem eating my words, and you can be the first person to tell me "I told ya so." CCH has a lot of experience in big games, and I just hope JC isn't the one walking out of the locker room on Friday night with wide eyes and finding themselves caught up in the moment.

I believe that there is an underlying advantage in favor of Johnson Central in the game. And, it is one that I have not heard mentioned. Everyone had heard about Cov Cath playing Elder, St. X, Highlands, Watterson...etc...and how tough that schedule is. Everyone has also been informed of how JC's schedule does not compare with that of the Colonels. Johnson Central has the advantage of knowing just how good Cov Cath is. Cov Cath does not have the advantage of knowing just how good Johnson Central is. Actually, Johnson Central may not even know how good they are. Therein lies the advantage. I believe JC will be prepared for Cov Cath more than Cov Cath will be prepared for JC simply because they will have had the advantage of having seen the Colonels face these football powerhouses. Conversely, Cov Cath has not been able to watch JC against the powerhouse teams and will not know how JC will react in these situations. And, maybe...just maybe...Cov Cath has bought into the weak schedule argument against JC and will not take them as seriously as they should. I know that the coaches will take JC seriously...but will the players?

I believe that there is an underlying advantage in favor of Johnson Central in the game. And, it is one that I have not heard mentioned. Everyone had heard about Cov Cath playing Elder, St. X, Highlands, Watterson...etc...and how tough that schedule is. Everyone has also been informed of how JC's schedule does not compare with that of the Colonels. Johnson Central has the advantage of knowing just how good Cov Cath is. Cov Cath does not have the advantage of knowing just how good Johnson Central is. Actually, Johnson Central may not even know how good they are. Therein lies the advantage. I believe JC will be prepared for Cov Cath more than Cov Cath will be prepared for JC simply because they will have had the advantage of having seen the Colonels face these football powerhouses. Conversely, Cov Cath has not been able to watch JC against the powerhouse teams and will not know how JC will react in these situations. And, maybe...just maybe...Cov Cath has bought into the weak schedule argument against JC and will not take them as seriously as they should. I know that the coaches will take JC seriously...but will the players?

This is an interesting perspective, but really are you trying to convince the CCH backers or yourself that JC has a chance??

Yes this is the players senior seasons, they will give it thier all play in and play out. They have been taken Johnson Central just as serious as they took HHS,LCHS,St X, Elder, Watterson. They will not lose by not taking them serious enough.

I completely understand your point, but only agree with part of it. How good is JC? Who knows. We will see Friday night. But, I don't agree that JC will be more prepared than CCH because in playing a weak schedule you really don't know how to prepare. And, that it is not knocking coaching or scouting or anything, but more the way the players handle themselves in practice. CCH has to prepare like crazy and have a great week of practice before every game to compete at such a high level, while,even if JC has a bad week of practice, they can still come out with a victory because of superior talent. Teams that are good have good scout teams who can immitate the other team in practice to the best of their abilities. The team who has been given a better "look" in practice is the team who is better prepared, IMO.

Really? CovCath has played LexCath, Highlands, Cincy St. X, Cincy Elder, and Columbus Watterson. If JC is quicker than LexCath or Highlands or more physical than Cincy Elder, Cincy X, or Watterson, then I will be most impressed.

:thumb:

We're the Ohio teams quicker than CC? I was also surprised to see that Beechwood and Newport Cath's defenses were so much more effective than Lexington Cath's.

We're the Ohio teams quicker than CC?

They were comparable in speed, but the GCL teams were bigger. Saint X noticeably so.

I was also surprised to see that Beechwood and Newport Cath's defenses were so much more effective than Lexington Cath's.

CovCath probably could have put more points up on NewCath and Beechwood if needed, but the defense played very well in those games.

We're the Ohio teams quicker than CC? I was also surprised to see that Beechwood and Newport Cath's defenses were so much more effective than Lexington Cath's.

CCH I believe led NCC 35-7 barely into the 2nd half. They kind of went on cruise control from there.

Come on BOOYAH10, us northerners have no problem at all with you claiming how physical your boys play, and how they will come out and hit you, but come on now lets be realistic here. Do you honestly believe that your guys hit harder and play a more physical brand of football than the boys from Elder, Cincy St. X, and a host of other great teams the blue Colonels have come across this year alone? Tell ya what, schedule a game with Elder next year and just see what hitting is all about. They could spot ya 30 points and you would still be shell shocked by halftime! Not trying to flame you or down play the tremendous season you all have enjoyed, but you are seriously talking about two totally different brands of ball here. The opponents you play week in and week out seriously probably would not even compete with Elder or Cincy St. X 's jv squads. Again, not trying to flame, just being realistic about it. Both of these squads and a few others Covcath has played in recent years have been nationally ranked in recent years. Get past this monumental challenge and then talk about how great JC's brand of football is against a very worthy opponent.

Come on BOOYAH10, us northerners have no problem at all with you claiming how physical your boys play, and how they will come out and hit you, but come on now lets be realistic here. Do you honestly believe that your guys hit harder and play a more physical brand of football than the boys from Elder, Cincy St. X, and a host of other great teams the blue Colonels have come across this year alone? Tell ya what, schedule a game with Elder next year and just see what hitting is all about. They could spot ya 30 points and you would still be shell shocked by halftime! Not trying to flame you or down play the tremendous season you all have enjoyed, but you are seriously talking about two totally different brands of ball here. The opponents you play week in and week out seriously probably would not even compete with Elder or Cincy St. X 's jv squads. Again, not trying to flame, just being realistic about it. Both of these squads and a few others Covcath has played in recent years have been nationally ranked in recent years. Get past this monumental challenge and then talk about how great JC's brand of football is against a very worthy opponent.

I for one believe that JC has a more than worthy opponent friday night! CCH is awesome and that is no secret. The last time I seen CCH play was in the state finals against Hopkinsville and they were good then and they are good now. There is no doubt that CCH is a great team with great athletes.

This game will come down to who wants it more. I believe that this game will be a close one and it has the making to be a classic. JCHS can play with any 3a team in state. This game will be a monumental task for the Eagles but they can do it. Like Coach Matney said, "It can be done, it has been done before." GO GET'EM EAGLES! BELIEVE!

InTheloop, you have given me the biggest reason, to pick CovCath over JC other than just being a fan of CovCath. CovCath understands how good they have to be to win, and even you admit that JC doesn't know how good they are. The difference is that CovCath has been pushed most weeks when they have played high quality, top flight football teams, while JC has mostly played teams that the quality is some what questionable. No CovCath hasn't won all those games, but even when they lost, it taught then what they needed to do to win the next game.

Not trying to be smart or even trying to be funny, just would like a fair and honest answer! Do you, really think JC has played as tough of a schedule this season, as compared to CovCath?

Boone County Won 44-2: Boone made 4A playoffs. Beat semi-final 4A Ryle in regular season 34-22

Cin Elder Lost 13-3: Down year, but even in a down year, they are are better than most Kentucky teams. Beat HHS at HHS...

Dixie Won 28-7: 4A team, made 4A playoffs. Lost to semi-final Ryle by 2 and 12.

NCC Won 35-14: 1A Defending State Champion. NCC is still playing.

Beechwood Won 34-0: Not the best season for the Tigers, but if NCC wasn't in their region, the Tigers would still be playing. Maybe one of the top five 1A teams in the Commonwealth.

Cin St. X Lost 23-3: Lost to at the time to the #9 rated team in the USA Today's Super 25 teams in the Country. Was only down by a score of 10-3 when the game was stopped by weather near the end of the third quarter. Reschedule for play less than 12 hours later (I still don't know why they didn't play later in the day) but with the drive home and drive back to St. X, I don't think our guys got five or six hours sleep. CovCath learned that while they lost, they could play with the big boys.

Col Bishop Watterson Lost 38-13: Two years in a row after playing Cin St. X CovCath came our flat against a better opponent. It wasn't pretty, but CovCath learned a lesson.....Be mentally and physically prepared for every game....

South Oldham/Grant County Won both: Inferior opponents and the only reason CovCath plays then is due to district requirements. Both games were over before the 1st quarter was over.

The Team from Ft. Thomas Won 29-27: Nothing that JC has done all year could come close to this game. On live TV, at Ft. Thomas, in the cold, rain, windy, raw mist of a night, with 51 seconds left in the game and down 4 CovCath drives the length of the football field to score with 3 seconds on the clock... Great game, big confidence builder for CovCath.

Grant County Won 49-0: Second verse, same as the first....and I am glad for Grant County, that they won't have to play CovCath again....

The Team from Ft. Thomas Won 25-15: The score of the game did not indicate how badly CovCath beat HHS in this game. What did was seeing the HHS fans leaving about half way through the third quarter....

LexCath Won 56-49: CovCath beat most probably the most athletic team from Kentucky, that I have seen all season. LexCath "O" was a thing of beauty, and if JC can match the fire power of LexCath then hats off to JC, but LexCath....man oh man, what a team on "O".....

Now please match your schedule up. Will it mean anything on Friday, not really, but it will help CovCath be prepared for a top flight football team like JC, but can JC say the same thing about their schedule? Good luck and see you later today.....:thumb: