ochenta siete

Who wins?  

292 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In defense of Boone, they do traditionally start slow and were playing without possibly the best running back in NKY, Farris.

You are correct, and while Corry would have helped to make the score closer, Boone County wouldn't have won the game, even with him in it that afternoon....

InTheloop, you have given me the biggest reason, to pick CovCath over JC other than just being a fan of CovCath. CovCath understands how good they have to be to win, and even you admit that JC doesn't know how good they are. The difference is that CovCath has been pushed most weeks when they have played high quality, top flight football teams, while JC has mostly played teams that the quality is some what questionable. No CovCath hasn't won all those games, but even when they lost, it taught then what they needed to do to win the next game.

Not trying to be smart or even trying to be funny, just would like a fair and honest answer! Do you, really think JC has played as tough of a schedule this season, as compared to CovCath?

Boone County Won 44-2: Boone made 4A playoffs. Beat semi-final 4A Ryle in regular season 34-22

Cin Elder Lost 13-3: Down year, but even in a down year, they are are better than most Kentucky teams. Beat HHS at HHS...

Dixie Won 28-7: 4A team, made 4A playoffs. Lost to semi-final Ryle by 2 and 12.

NCC Won 35-14: 1A Defending State Champion. NCC is still playing.

Beechwood Won 34-0: Not the best season for the Tigers, but if NCC wasn't in their region, the Tigers would still be playing. Maybe one of the top five 1A teams in the Commonwealth.

Cin St. X Lost 23-3: Lost to at the time to the #9 rated team in the USA Today's Super 25 teams in the Country. Was only down by a score of 10-3 when the game was stopped by weather near the end of the third quarter. Reschedule for play less than 12 hours later (I still don't know why they didn't play later in the day) but with the drive home and drive back to St. X, I don't think our guys got five or six hours sleep. CovCath learned that while they lost, they could play with the big boys.

Col Bishop Watterson Lost 38-13: Two years in a row after playing Cin St. X CovCath came our flat against a better opponent. It wasn't pretty, but CovCath learned a lesson.....Be mentally and physically prepared for every game....

South Oldham/Grant County Won both: Inferior opponents and the only reason CovCath plays then is due to district requirements. Both games were over before the 1st quarter was over.

The Team from Ft. Thomas Won 29-27: Nothing that JC has done all year could come close to this game. On live TV, at Ft. Thomas, in the cold, rain, windy, raw mist of a night, with 51 seconds left in the game and down 4 CovCath drives the length of the football field to score with 3 seconds on the clock... Great game, big confidence builder for CovCath.

Grant County Won 49-0: Second verse, same as the first....and I am glad for Grant County, that they won't have to play CovCath again....

The Team from Ft. Thomas Won 25-15: The score of the game did not indicate how badly CovCath beat HHS in this game. What did was seeing the HHS fans leaving about half way through the third quarter....

LexCath Won 56-49: CovCath beat most probably the most athletic team from Kentucky, that I have seen all season. LexCath "O" was a thing of beauty, and if JC can match the fire power of LexCath then hats off to JC, but LexCath....man oh man, what a team on "O".....

Now please match your schedule up. Will it mean anything on Friday, not really, but it will help CovCath be prepared for a top flight football team like JC, but can JC say the same thing about their schedule? Good luck and see you later today.....:thumb:

Man, that is impressive. We watched that first CovCath/Team from Fort Thomas in the hotel after mud-wrestling Mason County the night before. It looked like 2 college teams out there.

I believe that there is an underlying advantage in favor of Johnson Central in the game. And, it is one that I have not heard mentioned. Everyone had heard about Cov Cath playing Elder, St. X, Highlands, Watterson...etc...and how tough that schedule is. Everyone has also been informed of how JC's schedule does not compare with that of the Colonels. Johnson Central has the advantage of knowing just how good Cov Cath is. Cov Cath does not have the advantage of knowing just how good Johnson Central is. Actually, Johnson Central may not even know how good they are. Therein lies the advantage. I believe JC will be prepared for Cov Cath more than Cov Cath will be prepared for JC simply because they will have had the advantage of having seen the Colonels face these football powerhouses. Conversely, Cov Cath has not been able to watch JC against the powerhouse teams and will not know how JC will react in these situations. And, maybe...just maybe...Cov Cath has bought into the weak schedule argument against JC and will not take them as seriously as they should. I know that the coaches will take JC seriously...but will the players?

I'm sorry but the state finals is on the line, it's potentially the senior players last game. How could they not be taking JC seriously? They would be taking a pee-wee team seriously if it was to get into the state finals.

More from the Ashland Daily Indpendent:

Cream of the Crop

ASHLAND — Johnson Central finished the regular season with a No. 2 ranking in the Kentucky Class 3A poll. Covington Catholic ended the year ranked fourth.

But Johnson Central coach Jim Matney makes no bones about the challenge his Golden Eagles have Friday when the Colonels visit for a Class 3A semifinal in Paintsville.

“It’s David versus Goliath. Anybody who doesn’t think so isn’t watching very closely,” said Matney, whose team brings a perfect 13-0 record into the game against the private northern Kentucky powerhouse. “We’re taking on the big boys and we’re proud of that. We’re proud to be representing the mountains.”

Nice pic of Sutton:

Covington Catholic’s Peter Sutton

From The Cincinnati Enquirer

CovCath prepares to enter 'feel-good story'

BY RYAN ERNST | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

The Covington Catholic football team survived last week's wild 56-49 playoff shootout at Lexington Catholic, the second-most effective Class AAA offense in the state. With the victory, the Colonels earned a state semifinal game against Johnson Central, the third-most effective Class AAA offense in the state.

But the Colonels will be battling more than just the Golden Eagles' backs, receivers and linemen tonight when they attempt to reach their first state final since 1997. They'll be facing a county that is playing host to its own personal Super Bowl.

"Needless to say, our entire community is very excited," said Johnson Central coach Jim Matney. "This is the first time that the school has made it this far. It's a remarkable year."

Matney took over at Johnson Central in 2004, when the Golden Eagles were coming off a one-win season. Three seasons later, they're one of only two undefeated teams in the state.

They might lack the Colonels' five state titles and tradition, but as CovCath coach John Rodenberg is quick to point out, the Golden Eagles make up for any deficiencies with plenty of momentum.

"They're having a special season," Rodenberg said. "We're the team from the city, maybe the team that's supposed to win, depending on who you listen to. And they're having the greatest season in school history. We're going to be walking right into the middle of a feel-good story.

"But it's like I told our guys, they're 13-0, we're 10-3. If anything, we're the underdogs."

Matney wouldn't say whether the Colonels should consider themselves underdogs, but when they arrive in Paintsville (population: 4,132), they definitely will feel like visitors.

"Almost every game we've had this year has been a standing-room-only crowd," he said. "We seat about 4,000. It's been fun, to say the least."

CovCath fans, please make sure to listen to Nebraska on the Radio on the way down -- just to get you in the mood.

I'll be sporting the "Blackshirts" hat proudly tonight proudly in Paintsville. Hope that Hautman's bunch can turn in a "blackshirt" like performance against Grim and the boys. It will take a Ruthian effort to derail this undefeated bunch at home.

I literally can't wait!

JC doesn't have the leading defensive back in interceptions by accident.(Ian Welch Sophomore Safety 14 INTS). They don't have a D-I linebacker and 2 all-state linebackers by accident either.(Johnson and Tackett). This will be one of the quickest and most physical teams CovCath has played all year bar none.

Ummm, I haven't seen JC play, but I can guarantee you that they aren't as good as St. X who was ranked in the top 10 in the country. Granted, we didn't beat them, but I'm just showing that I know CCH has played better, faster, and more physical players, on all areas of the field.

For everybody coming to this game... Be careful coming down and going back. This is history for the Johnson Central football program. I have had a feeling all year since the spring scrimmage that this was JC's year to win the state title. Hopefully both teams will come away injury free. "The Nest" will be rockin all day today. We could see a crowd of 10,000+ people there.

:ylsuper: :ylsuper: GO EAGLES!!!!!:ylsuper: :ylsuper:

:dancingpa Papa Johns Cardnial Stadium here we come!:dancingpa