Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Covington Catholic vs. Johnson Central

Who wins? 292 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins?

    • Covington Catholic
      64%
    • Johnson Central
      35%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

I do not thing that Johnson Central has seen the speed that they are about to see, this week, it is great they have a good defense and all that but, there is no defense that can stop a team that is 3 x as fast as you.

 

CCH's speed is solid but not great. There are no "burners" on this squad. They simply execute very well and get great line plan. Speed is not their game. Speed is LC's game.

  • Replies 478
  • Views 40.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will admit that I do not know as much about Cov Cath as many on here do. With that said, I had no idea that Cov Cath had guys that could run a 1.67 40time. (that is assuming that many of JC's speed guys run only a 5 flat 40...which most, if not all, of them are faster than that). Sounds like the Colonels speedsters need to be running in the Olympics.

 

JC has also done a good job of getting penetration into the backfield. And that, as most knowledgeable football fans know, is a pretty good defense against speed. It's hard to get to top speed when the point of first contact occurs in the backfield.

 

I hope that the rest of Cov Cath fans, coaches and players are as confident as you seem to be.

 

 

Go Eagles!!!

 

 

For the record, oldonetechnique is not a CovCath fan. I believe he is a LexCath fan. Most CovCath fans are expecting an exciting game and look forward to the drive!

Trust me, the first time one of your players gets hit by Johnson Central's defense, they will not want the ball anymore.

 

Do they hit as hard Cincinnati St. Xavier, Cincinnati Elder, Col. Bishop Watterson & Highlands??

For the record, oldonetechnique is not a CovCath fan. I believe he is a LexCath fan. Most CovCath fans are expecting an exciting game and look forward to the drive!

 

Thanks for clearing that up. BTW...does Cov Cath have guys that are as fast as oldone seems to think?

Here is an interesting fact about JC's strength of schedule. After the win over Rockcastle, JC's SOS (80) nudged ahead of those of both Bell County (83) and Rockcastle County(81) for the season in Massey's ratings. I don't understand how JC could have passed Rockcastle after a game that involved both teams, but it happened. Playing Covington Catholic (3) will give the Golden Eagles' SOS another big boost. (Ashland's SOS jumped to #64).

 

The teams that Johnson Central defeated this season have been climbing in the Massey ratings because of the Golden Eagles' strong playoff performance. Apparently, JC's SOS was not quite as bad as advertised.

Trust me, the first time one of your players gets hit by Johnson Central's defense, they will not want the ball anymore.

 

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Thanks for clearing that up. BTW...does Cov Cath have guys that are as fast as oldone seems to think?

 

 

I wouldn't say they are a blazingly fast team. It would help if Castenada is healthy, but the Colonels are by no means plodders. LexCath would make a lot of teams look slow.

I hope that we get a chance to find out how "100%" of CovCath fans view the season following a loss to the Golden Eagles. I think that a great many of your fans are expecting a state title, especially after sweeping Highlands this season. To have the season end in an upset to a team that had never even played in a regional final would be a shock to those fans. IMO, both of these teams have already had great seasons and a loss on Friday will not diminish their accomplishments. I just think that CCH will carry a much heavier burden of expectations into the game than JC.

Sorry to interrupt your "woe is us" monologue, but to echo cshs81, there aren't any CCH fans that would call a loss to JC in your place the end to a disappointing season. Believe me, if CCH fans thought this game was going to be easy there wouldn't be all of these folks (including me) planning on driving 4 hours the day after Thanksgiving to watch. We'd just wait until Louisville. We are well aware of how difficult this game will be. I think, given the game being in Paintsville, and the unblemished record of the Eagles, you have to consider CCH underdogs. Heck, it's their first game on grass and they have a long bus ride ahead of them. :D

I think that JC's defense is not going to give up the big plays like LC's. It will a more traditional tough-nosed defense like CCH is used to playing against. I don't like for CCH to put up 700 yards of offense.

 

 

You know, it may be the NKY in me coming out, but I didn't like the 700 yards of offense either. I would have been more comfortable with a 14 - 7 game then the 56 - 49 score.

Here is an interesting fact about JC's strength of schedule. After the win over Rockcastle, JC's SOS (80) nudged ahead of those of both Bell County (83) and Rockcastle County(81) for the season in Massey's ratings. I don't understand how JC could have passed Rockcastle after a game that involved both teams, but it happened. Playing Covington Catholic (3) will give the Golden Eagles' SOS another big boost. (Ashland's SOS jumped to #64).

 

The teams that Johnson Central defeated this season have been climbing in the Massey ratings because of the Golden Eagles' strong playoff performance. Apparently, JC's SOS was not quite as bad as advertised.

Yes, it was, especially the non-district portion of the schedule. Six of the 10 teams JC played in the regular season had losing records, and four of their five non-district opponents failed to make it to the postseason. The only one that did, Paintsville, was in Class A and was knocked out in the first round.
I thought i remembered that name. I remember traveling to Inez in 98 only to hear how close Sheldon Clark came to beating Lorenzen and Company. Don't remember the score exactly but the results will be pretty much the same this Friday night. I think it was like a 21 point game or something. No disrespect to Johnson Central and what a great year you have had, but you will not beat CCH this Friday. Unless Jim Matney calls Uncle Dudley and takes some pointers from him.:D

 

It was 16. But this JC team has alot more depth. That SC team had about 13 varsity players with nearly everyone going both ways. They had less than 30 total players. JC has 77. That makes a big difference. I think this will be a tough game for both teams. I don't think CC has seen anyone that hits like JC. And i don't think JC has seen such a dynamic offense.

It was 16. But this JC team has alot more depth. That SC team had about 13 varsity players with nearly everyone going both ways. They had less than 30 total players. JC has 77. That makes a big difference. I think this will be a tough game for both teams. I don't think CC has seen anyone that hits like JC. And i don't think JC has seen such a dynamic offense.

They haven't seen anybody that hits like JC. We here this every year when a team floats to the top.:rolleyes: I don't think CCH is worried about whether JC hits hard or not. They have played a strong enough schedule this year against some pretty darn good teams, so don't worry about CCH being over confident. Your right about one thing, JC hasn't seen a dynamic offense such as CCH's. That will change Friday!!!!!!!

Just for the record I do not like Cov. Cath. or Lex. Cath. I really would like to see Johnson Central win. But, I just do not think that they will be able to pull this game off, or that it will be close. I hope I am wrong and I will be rooting for the eagles, but they (CCH) will be faster than any team JCHS has seen, and they will have a scheme that is more balanced than you have seen. Good luck to both teams.

I believe this much is certain and without a disagreement:

 

This will be the best opponent that Johnson Central has faced, and it probably will not be the best opponent that CovCath has played (considering that Cincy St. X was nationally ranked all year).

 

Now I'm nearly certain that means nothing, at least in and of itself, but it is to be expected given that JC is undefeated and CovCath has tallied 3 losses north of the River.

I believe this much is certain and without a disagreement:

 

Don't forget this will be the hardest hitting team CovCath has played this year...

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.