Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Covington Catholic vs. Johnson Central

Who wins? 292 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins?

    • Covington Catholic
      64%
    • Johnson Central
      35%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

Who said they'd be scared?

I expect a good game. I'll be rooting for CovCath, but good luck to both teams.

I said they will not be scared.

  • Replies 478
  • Views 40.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody's good when you get this far.

 

With this being Cov Caths first and only game on real grass this year, will it make a difference.

 

 

Personally I dont think this will cause any problems.

Johnson County will be a buzz this week. I cant wait to see the community support come monday.

Personally I dont think this will cause any problems.

 

It could pose a problem...especially in the kicking game. Popham (sp?) is the best kicker in the state. But, there is a big difference between kicking on turf and kicking in the mud.

Ashland has been our strongest opponent, and by the end of the year, was IMO as good as anyone in 3A.

 

You're kidding right?? LexCath, CovCath, Highlands, etc.

I must say InTheLoop... I love the new avatar! :thumb:

A couple of linebackers CovCath will be getting know well Friday:

 

In his 23 seasons as a high school football coach, Jim Matney has dealt with his share of college scouts.

 

But this year, he’s wondering why he hasn’t heard much from Division I programs.

 

Matney, who has the second-ranked Golden Eagles in the Class 3A quarterfinals this week against Rockcastle County, flatly believes some Division I programs in the region are missing the boat on his two linebackers.

 

“I think it’s one of the best pairs of linebackers that’s ever been on a team in Kentucky. I know that’s a biased opinion,” Matney said of seniors Michael Tackett and Blake Johnson. “I think they can both play Division I. They’re very physical, aggressive linebackers who like to punish ball carriers. Those are the types of players that defensive coaches in college are looking for.”

 

Double Trouble: Linebackers lead a suffocating defense

 

Photo of Johnson Central linebackers Michael Tackett, right, and Blake Johnson

I must say InTheLoop... I love the new avatar! :thumb:

 

Well...thank you very much!;)

A couple of linebackers CovCath will be getting know well Friday:

 

In his 23 seasons as a high school football coach, Jim Matney has dealt with his share of college scouts.

 

But this year, he’s wondering why he hasn’t heard much from Division I programs.

 

Matney, who has the second-ranked Golden Eagles in the Class 3A quarterfinals this week against Rockcastle County, flatly believes some Division I programs in the region are missing the boat on his two linebackers.

 

“I think it’s one of the best pairs of linebackers that’s ever been on a team in Kentucky. I know that’s a biased opinion,” Matney said of seniors Michael Tackett and Blake Johnson. “I think they can both play Division I. They’re very physical, aggressive linebackers who like to punish ball carriers. Those are the types of players that defensive coaches in college are looking for.”

 

Double Trouble: Linebackers lead a suffocating defense

 

Photo of Johnson Central linebackers Michael Tackett, right, and Blake Johnson

 

Very nice article. Thanks C-F

Everybody's good when you get this far.

 

With this being Cov Caths first and only game on real grass this year, will it make a difference.

 

Can Johnson Centrals D matchup with CCH's O. Very difficult. Not just player by player, but Coach R. has a very wierd scheme; can play to your weakest point no matter what it is.

 

CC befuddles (yes, befuddles...at least once in life, you should use that word) me defensively. Is LexCath that much better offensively than, say, Highlands?

CC befuddles (yes, befuddles...at least once in life, you should use that word) me defensively. Is LexCath that much better offensively than, say, Highlands?

 

 

Yes, LexCath is that much better than Highlands offensively (this year). The speed LexCath has is unreal. A team can get discombobulated pretty quickly. Believe it not, CovCath's D did not play that poorly. Didn't seem like the Knights ever got their run game going. And it wasn't like CovCath was out of position the whole night (a few times, yes) but LexCath just flat made many plays.

Yes, LexCath is that much better than Highlands offensively (this year). The speed LexCath has is unreal. A team can get discombobulated pretty quickly. Believe it not, CovCath's D did not play that poorly. Didn't seem like the Knights ever got their run game going. And it wasn't like CovCath was out of position the whole night (a few times, yes) but LexCath just flat made many plays.

Lex Cath may not have a good or better scheme as HHS but Lex Cath has huge playmakers im sure noone can compare to in the state. Thier were times when thier was double coverage on one of thier WR and he would still come down with a amazing catch.

I will go with Cov. Cath 35-14

You're kidding right?? LexCath, CovCath, Highlands, etc.

 

No. I may be wrong, but I'm not kidding. East Ky. is steadily closing the gap, IMO, and Ashland finished as a finely tuned, well disciplined, and very smart unit. By the end of the year, District 8 was as strong as any 3A district from top to bottom. I realize that the upper tier is concentrated in Louisville, Covington/Newport, and Lexington (a couple teams), but JC, Ashland, Boyd, Mason, Lawrence (well, any other year) and even Greenup (e.g., thumped South Point, OH) were capable of beating, or at least playing close, any 3A team on any given night. Eastern Kentucky has always had talent. Great coaches are starting to settle in, and our facilities are nice and getting better every year. We produce our share of talent relative to our population.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.