Who wins?  

292 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of linebackers CovCath will be getting know well Friday:

In his 23 seasons as a high school football coach, Jim Matney has dealt with his share of college scouts.

But this year, he’s wondering why he hasn’t heard much from Division I programs.

Matney, who has the second-ranked Golden Eagles in the Class 3A quarterfinals this week against Rockcastle County, flatly believes some Division I programs in the region are missing the boat on his two linebackers.

“I think it’s one of the best pairs of linebackers that’s ever been on a team in Kentucky. I know that’s a biased opinion,” Matney said of seniors Michael Tackett and Blake Johnson. “I think they can both play Division I. They’re very physical, aggressive linebackers who like to punish ball carriers. Those are the types of players that defensive coaches in college are looking for.”

Double Trouble: Linebackers lead a suffocating defense

Photo of Johnson Central linebackers Michael Tackett, right, and Blake Johnson

A couple of linebackers CovCath will be getting know well Friday:

In his 23 seasons as a high school football coach, Jim Matney has dealt with his share of college scouts.

But this year, he’s wondering why he hasn’t heard much from Division I programs.

Matney, who has the second-ranked Golden Eagles in the Class 3A quarterfinals this week against Rockcastle County, flatly believes some Division I programs in the region are missing the boat on his two linebackers.

“I think it’s one of the best pairs of linebackers that’s ever been on a team in Kentucky. I know that’s a biased opinion,” Matney said of seniors Michael Tackett and Blake Johnson. “I think they can both play Division I. They’re very physical, aggressive linebackers who like to punish ball carriers. Those are the types of players that defensive coaches in college are looking for.”

Double Trouble: Linebackers lead a suffocating defense

Photo of Johnson Central linebackers Michael Tackett, right, and Blake Johnson

Very nice article. Thanks C-F

Everybody's good when you get this far.

With this being Cov Caths first and only game on real grass this year, will it make a difference.

Can Johnson Centrals D matchup with CCH's O. Very difficult. Not just player by player, but Coach R. has a very wierd scheme; can play to your weakest point no matter what it is.

CC befuddles (yes, befuddles...at least once in life, you should use that word) me defensively. Is LexCath that much better offensively than, say, Highlands?

CC befuddles (yes, befuddles...at least once in life, you should use that word) me defensively. Is LexCath that much better offensively than, say, Highlands?

Yes, LexCath is that much better than Highlands offensively (this year). The speed LexCath has is unreal. A team can get discombobulated pretty quickly. Believe it not, CovCath's D did not play that poorly. Didn't seem like the Knights ever got their run game going. And it wasn't like CovCath was out of position the whole night (a few times, yes) but LexCath just flat made many plays.

Yes, LexCath is that much better than Highlands offensively (this year). The speed LexCath has is unreal. A team can get discombobulated pretty quickly. Believe it not, CovCath's D did not play that poorly. Didn't seem like the Knights ever got their run game going. And it wasn't like CovCath was out of position the whole night (a few times, yes) but LexCath just flat made many plays.

Lex Cath may not have a good or better scheme as HHS but Lex Cath has huge playmakers im sure noone can compare to in the state. Thier were times when thier was double coverage on one of thier WR and he would still come down with a amazing catch.

You're kidding right?? LexCath, CovCath, Highlands, etc.

No. I may be wrong, but I'm not kidding. East Ky. is steadily closing the gap, IMO, and Ashland finished as a finely tuned, well disciplined, and very smart unit. By the end of the year, District 8 was as strong as any 3A district from top to bottom. I realize that the upper tier is concentrated in Louisville, Covington/Newport, and Lexington (a couple teams), but JC, Ashland, Boyd, Mason, Lawrence (well, any other year) and even Greenup (e.g., thumped South Point, OH) were capable of beating, or at least playing close, any 3A team on any given night. Eastern Kentucky has always had talent. Great coaches are starting to settle in, and our facilities are nice and getting better every year. We produce our share of talent relative to our population.