Covington Catholic vs. Johnson Central

ochenta siete

Who wins?  

292 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

I don't know who will win this game but I really think it will be very close. I think someone beating Rockcastle 29-7 is more impressive than some may think.
I don't think that anyone is downplaying the win over Rockcastle, a team most people were convinced were a top-10 team in 3A. But it doesn't automatically put Johnson Central on the same level as Highlands and Covington Catholic.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think that anyone is downplaying the win over Rockcastle, a team most people were convinced were a top-10 team in 3A. But it doesn't automatically put Johnson Central on the same level as Highlands and Covington Catholic.

I wouldn't dissagree with that but I would have to say beating maybe the worst Lexington Catholic team in recent years and I mean like 8 or 9 years in a score fest doesn't mean that they are head and shoulders over Johnson Central either.

I wouldn't dissagree with that but I would have to say beating maybe the worst Lexington Catholic team in recent years and I mean like 8 or 9 years in a score fest doesn't mean that they are head and shoulders over Johnson Central either.
I don't disagree with that. I think CovCath is probably a couple of touchdowns better ... does that consititute "head and shoulders" better?

Neither was a great team, and they're certainly softer than CovCath's last two opponents.

Maybe. How do you know? Based on what? We beat Rock 29-7; CovCath beat NewportCath 34-14 (or something like that). I say that Rock would easily handle NewCath. I'd say Bell County (two losses to Rock) would do the same, as would Ashland. Just my opinion. By the way, Lincoln County sqeaked by Rock to hand Rock its only regular season loss. Just another fact. I'm gonna doublecheck Lincoln's scores to refresh my memory, but I recall that they had an excellent 4A team.

Maybe. How do you know? Based on what? We beat Rock 29-7; CovCath beat NewportCath 34-14 (or something like that). I say that Rock would easily handle NewCath. I'd say Bell County (two losses to Rock) would do the same, as would Ashland. Just my opinion. By the way, Lincoln County sqeaked by Rock to hand Rock its only regular season loss. Just another fact. I'm gonna doublecheck Lincoln's scores to refresh my memory, but I recall that they had an excellent 4A team.

You might want to check Ashland's scores too. They were beaten by a Raceland team that was just dispatched by NewCath. I'm guessing they wouldn't easily handle NewCath.

I don't disagree with that. I think CovCath is probably a couple of touchdowns better ... does that consititute "head and shoulders" better?

I don't know I try to think what if Johnson Central played Lexington Catholic and I keep thinking in my head that they would beat LC much easier that Cov. Cath did. I don't think Johnson Central would have beaten Highlands though. I think it's pretty much a wash right now if I had to pick but Johnson Central is at home.

I'm not gonna lie if I had to pick a "mild upset" for this week it would be this game with Cov. Cath getting knocked off. Cov. Cath has played every game on turf in the playoffs and they are going into a hostile enviornment off of turf against a smash mouth team.

I remember the last time Highlands went off of turf in the playoffs they went to Bell County and was an inch away from losing to a far less talented football team. The same happend when Highlands went to Rock last. I know Cov. Cath isn't Highlands but there are some problems when turf teams go into grass fields.

It will be a tough challenge for Cov. Cath, I really think so now.

I say that Rock would easily handle NewCath. I'd say Bell County (two losses to Rock) would do the same, as would Ashland. Just my opinion.
Not much "factual analysis" there. I don't see any evidence that indicates that Ashland, Bell and Rockcastle would "easily handle" Beechwood and NewCath.

Just another fact. I'm gonna doublecheck Lincoln's scores to refresh my memory, but I recall that they had an excellent 4A team.
They were decent. They won a weak 4A district, then didn't survive the district in the playoffs. Some maintained last week that Lincoln was as good as, or better than, Johnson Central ... that didn't fly, either.

Only one way to find out. Good luck to CC. This is Carl Luther puttin' the hammer down and hittin' the home 20. All you good buddies with yer' ears on, watch out for them Smokies on the AA, and if you come I 75, put the hammer down. We're gone, 'cause Ma's in her kerchief...

I don't know I try to think what if Johnson Central played Lexington Catholic and I keep thinking in my head that they would beat LC much easier that Cov. Cath did. I don't think Johnson Central would have beaten Highlands though. I think it's pretty much a wash right now if I had to pick but Johnson Central is at home.

I'm not gonna lie if I had to pick a "mild upset" for this week it would be this game with Cov. Cath getting knocked off. Cov. Cath has played every game on turf in the playoffs and they are going into a hostile enviornment off of turf against a smash mouth team.

I remember the last time Highlands went off of turf in the playoffs they went to Bell County and was an inch away from losing to a far less talented football team. The same happend when Highlands went to Rock last. I know Cov. Cath isn't Highlands but there are some problems when turf teams go into grass fields.

It will be a tough challenge for Cov. Cath, I really think so now.

I don't necessarily disagree with most of what you said ... but I still think CovCath is two touchdowns better.

We may both be wrong.

Maybe. How do you know? Based on what? We beat Rock 29-7; CovCath beat NewportCath 34-14 (or something like that). I say that Rock would easily handle NewCath. I'd say Bell County (two losses to Rock) would do the same, as would Ashland.
As it turns out, NewCath and Ashland had two common opponents.

NewCath lost 7-6 at Belfry. A week later, the Pirates lost in overtime at Ashland.

NewCath won 46-27 at Raceland, which beat Ashland 21-16 on the Tomcats' home field. Admittedly, there was a lot of time between those two games.

Nevertheless, NewCath performed just as well as (or even better than) Ashland on the road against teams that Ashland played at home.

There is absolutely no reason to conclude, from those scores, that Ashland would "easily handle" NewCath.

Personally, I believe Ashland is comparable to Bell and Rockcastle. I believe that NewCath and Beechwood, who split their two meetings, are about even. All of that casts some doubt on your assessment of the five teams.

I'll explain, even though I really shouldn't have to. At a minimum, JC would have beaten those teams just as badly. I know it doesn't mean anything necessarily, but NewCath lost to Belfry, 7-6; Pikeville lost to Belfry by one or two, and should have won, and Pikeville played Henry Clay into the 4th Q; Hazard beat Paintsville in a miraculous comeback in the playoffs, at Hazard, on the final play of the game; Hazard beat Pikeville, at Pikeville in the playoffs weekend before last. JC was up on Paintsville 36-0 (more than CCHS scored on either of its Class A opponents in an entire game) with nearly 2 minutes to go in the FIRST quarter last month, AT Paintsville. I admit, although true, this kind of analysis means nothing in the end, but at least its factual and not hyperbole.

What I really dont understand is why you or any one else would waste the first minute worring about anything that westsider had to say. Most of you guys are familiar with some of these expert sportswriters that know all about the game, can tell everyone else what they are doing wrong, are always right on everything , yet never played the game. Westsider reminds me of one of those type of guys. Sort of the "Max Mercy" of bluegrasspreps. He sits behind his computer and never sees 99% of the teams he is an expert on. He is never going to say anything good about Johnson Central anyways, so why worry about it.

Looking at some game results and Massey ratings, three things jump out at me:

1. Covington Catholic has played a tougher schedule than Johnson Central.

2. Of the Colonel's 3 losses, 2 were to higher rated Ohio teams and the third was to an Ohio team ranked below Covington Catholic.

3. Covington Catholic has not beaten a team ranked as high by Massey as Johnson Central.

It will take Johnson Central's best game of the year, but Covington Catholic is very beatable if the Golden Eagles play up to their capability.

2.420 Cincy St. X (beat Covington Catholic 23-3)

1.687 Cincy Elder (beat Covington Catholic 13-3)

1;515 Covington Catholic

1.465 Bishop Watterson (beat Covington Catholic 38-13)

1.370 Columbus DeSales (beat Highlands 30-25, lost to Watterson 40-34)

1;245 Johnson Central

1.229 Lexington Catholic (lost to Covington Catholic 56-49)

1.142 Highlands (lost to Covington Catholic 29-27 and 25-15)

0.824 Beechwood (lost to Covington Catholic 34-0)

0.739 Boone County (lost to Covington Catholic 44-2)

0.690 Dixie Heights (lost to Covington Catholic 28-7)

0.684 Rockcastle County (lost to Johnson Central 29-7)

0.618 Newport Central Catholic (lost to Covington Catholic 35-14)

0.520 Ashland Paul Blazer (lost to Johnson Central 35-7 and 28-21)

What I really dont understand is why you or any one else would waste the first minute worring about anything that westsider had to say. Most of you guys are familiar with some of these expert sportswriters that know all about the game, can tell everyone else what they are doing wrong, are always right on everything , yet never played the game. Westsider reminds me of one of those type of guys. Sort of the "Max Mercy" of bluegrasspreps. He sits behind his computer and never sees 99% of the teams he is an expert on. He is never going to say anything good about Johnson Central anyways, so why worry about it.
You have a problem with someone that points out facts and uses them to make an argument?

If you don't like the argument, counter it with some facts.

Looking at some game results and Massey ratings, three things jump out at me:

1. Covington Catholic has played a tougher schedule than Johnson Central.

2. Of the Colonel's 3 losses, 2 were to higher rated Ohio teams and the third was to an Ohio team ranked below Covington Catholic.

3. Covington Catholic has not beaten a team ranked as high by Massey as Johnson Central.

It will take Johnson Central's best game of the year, but Covington Catholic is very beatable if the Golden Eagles play up to their capability.

Actually, Highlands has a higher power rating than Johnson Central, but the overall rating suffers because of its record against a tough schedule. It's the one aspect of the Massey Ratings that bothers me ... it appears to penalize teams for playing tough schedules.