How out of proportion …

Jim Schue

… will the latest Bobby Knight incident be blown? If you haven't seen it, it was the lead story on the late-night editions of Sportscenter.

He was scolding one of his players — whose name fails me right now — for making an on-court mistake. As he's chewing the kid out on the sidelines, he gives him a little slap in the face to get the kid's attention since he wasn't making eye contact with the General. You can read Bob's lips as he says "Look at me!"

I'm sure, given Knight's history, this will be made out to be more than what it really was — a coach trying to get a point across to his player. This kind of stuff happens everywhere, but since it's Coach Knight, there will be people calling for his ouster.

Thoughts???

And feel free to post a link if you can.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All I've got to say on this matter is simply this: I'm a huge UK fan and ALWAYS wanted to see UK beat IU. However, while his public persona may need a lot of work Bobby Knight has always taught the right values to his team about basketball and more importantly LIFE. He'd kick you off his team and then make sure you graduate (see Mike Giomi--spelling probably isn't right but he kicked the Big 10's leading rebounder off his team and then worked with him to make sure he graduated). I guess I can't say it any more plain than this. I love my son more than anything and I'd be glad to send him to play for Coach Knight........He'd come back with a better understanding about life, Period.

All I've got to say on this matter is simply this: I'm a huge UK fan and ALWAYS wanted to see UK beat IU. However, while his public persona may need a lot of work Bobby Knight has always taught the right values to his team about basketball and more importantly LIFE. He'd kick you off his team and then make sure you graduate (see Mike Giomi--spelling probably isn't right but he kicked the Big 10's leading rebounder off his team and then worked with him to make sure he graduated). I guess I can't say it any more plain than this. I love my son more than anything and I'd be glad to send him to play for Coach Knight........He'd come back with a better understanding about life, Period.

Agreed.

However, I'm pretty sure Giomi — and you did spell it right — ended up finishing up at NC State. But he did that kind of thing for others who played for him. Andre Harris comes readily to mind.

I was never a IU fan but I was a Bob Knight fan. I love his intensity for the game. Take no crap from no one. Loved his players and has nothing but great things to say about each one and you can bet he knows all his players. Helped them graduate from school and get ready for life. I think sometimes the media made him act a little crazy so he have a laugh later. If Bob Knight had been coaching Pro ball and Latrell Sprewell (sp) had grabbed "The General" by the neck, one of them would have walked away with a butt kicking. My money would have been on "The General". He knows B-ball and has an old style of coaching but I do believe his kids turn out better than the ones that are "baby sit" through college now.

I'm sure, given Knight's history, this will be made out to be more than what it really was — a coach trying to get a point across to his player. This kind of stuff happens everywhere, but since it's Coach Knight, there will be people calling for his ouster.

A. His history makes any scrutiny of his actions completely justified.

B. It was not a hard hit - not even with his full hand - just his fingers on the jaw.

C. I'll disagree with "stuff happens everywhere" as I've NEVER seen another coach strike a player in my many, many years of watching college basketball.

According to Homer 1530, in today's daily paper of whatever covers wherever Texas Tech is, the player said he had no problem with it. Mom said after talking with her son, she had no problem with it and Coach Knight is a great coach that cares deeply about the players and hopes it is not blown out of proportion.

Would it be a big deal if it was:

a) A high profile college basketball coach NOT named Bobby Knight (Coach K, Tubby, Calhoun)

b) A no-name college basketball coach

c) A high-school basketball coach

d) A pro basketball coach

e) A football coach

a - probably, because there's no history like there is with Bobby Knight

b - possibly, but you might have to find footage on you-tube

c - more likely; the younger the player, the more egregious the offense

d - won't happen; if anything the player (e.g. Sprewell) will strike first

f - no; it will take a lot more than a pop on the chin to get media attention

The fact is that because it was Bobby Knight, the "incident" gets plastered all over ESPN. I guess I'm old school - if I had a son playing basketball I would have no reservations about having the Geenral as his coach. But as stated before, some will want his head on a platter.

I guess I'm old school - if I had a son playing basketball I would have no reservations about having the Geenral as his coach. But as stated before, some will want his head on a platter.

How far can you go with the "old school" excuse? Kicking? Choking (I'm guessing Neil Reed's parents werent "old school.")

The slap was not that big of a deal IF you're any other coach. However, when you have a history of volatility and the inability to control yourself, its absolutely a story and deserves any and all scrutiny that comes.

It's silly. Absolutely not different at all from a football coach grabbing a player by the facemask to make sure he's looking at him. The player himself has been quoted as basically saying it's no big deal, that he just wanted him to look him in the eye. I didn't like Bob Knight especially at Indiana, but the guy is a great coach and even moreso at Texas Tech. They need to let this stuff go till he chokes someone or throws a chair.