How out of proportion …

Jim Schue

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We're not talking about kids. We're talking about young adults. You're telling me that you're OK with an authority figure (coach, teacher, police officer, minister) slapping your 18 year old daughter?

What exactly does an 18 year old girl have to do with a 19 year old basketball player who CHOSE to play for bobby knight have to do with anything?? No i dont want somebody slapping my daughter, but you can slap my son around all you want if he is misbehavin and deserves. IMO Bobby KNight was IN NO WAY out of line. The kid knew when he committed to play basketball there that Bobby KNight was a fierce coach who didnt care to give you a nudge to motivate you. You saw the kids post game comments, it was no big deal to him, why is it a big deal to you?

As most of us have said, this was much ado about nothing. Might be time to close this thread for good; as the only new news was the revelation that the kid's dad played for Keady at WKU, and is on record as saying that he had no problems with Knight's action and would have no problem with it happening again.

A non-issue that was hyped to attract viewers and readership.

I read alot of the posts in this thread before I actually saw the incident.

Knight certainly did more than "lift the chin" or "give a love tap" It was not a smack but he fairly forceably used his hand to move the players face.

I am not taking a position on whether or not he should be chastised. It was a little much though IMO.

Talk about apples and oranges.

Easy concept to follow: If we're OK with coaches slapping players, what else are we OK with in the name of "instilling discipline" or "teaching respect?" Surely, its not just athletes that need to learn these lessons, right?

Mea Culpa time:

I saw a different angle and Bobby did, indeed, raise the kid's chin(albeit with a bit of force) and did not slap him as I originally thought he did. That's much less of an offense than slapping the kid. So, its not as big of a deal as I thought.

All due apologies to Mr. Knight.