How out of proportion …

Jim Schue

This will get blown way out of proportion. The media wheels have already started turning on this...I couldn't believe they felt this was the top story for Sportscenter. It made me mad when I saw it...I was thinking, "How ridiculous." Now we'll get to hear them debate it on ATH and PTI, before it leads off Sportscenter again...hopefully common sense will prevail and it will blow over.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would have been a big deal if I was the player, because Bobby would have been picking himself up off the floor.

And right after that you would have been picking up your stuff out of the locker room.

Bobby Knight is an absolutely great coach. He's made a lot of mistakes and deserves to be scrutinized. In this day & age you should never hit a player, but it's being blown out of proportion IMO.

Bobby Knight is a stand-up type of guy. Love him or hate him, you know what you're going to get from him as a coach and a leader. As a player, he lets you know what he expects from you and if you don't do it then you suffer the consequences. Styles like that are not for everyone. Personally, I'd love to play for the man.

And right after that you would have been picking up your stuff out of the locker room.

Bobby Knight is an absolutely great coach. He's made a lot of mistakes and deserves to be scrutinized. In this day & age you should never hit a player, but it's being blown out of proportion IMO.

Bobby Knight is a stand-up type of guy. Love him or hate him, you know what you're going to get from him as a coach and a leader. As a player, he lets you know what he expects from you and if you don't do it then you suffer the consequences. Styles like that are not for everyone. Personally, I'd love to play for the man.

I understand that. But he didn't push his chin up, he hit him under the chin causing him to bite his tongue. If Knight's temper can flare to violence, how can you condemn a player reacting to being struck?

I see this as classic "old school" vs. "new school" way of thinking and Knight is definately old school, he doesn't pamper or baby his players and put them up on a pedastal. Knight has probably done far more good things for kids and his players than bad, no question. Imo the incidents like this get publicized in the media far more than the good things that he stands for like going to class, getting a degree,etc.. Having said that I do believe that Knight is his own worst enemy. I am a long time U.K. fan and always will be "true Blue" so I really dislike him (Knight) and I don't approve of this kind of thing at all. I will say that if this incident would have happened in any other game with any other coach (and it probably does in every game and certanly every practice at one time or the other) it may have been discussed but not made out to be a major incident and talked about on every sports new show in the country. Knight has an arrogance about him in that he is not going to change for anyone, that is not necessarily bad but he carries it to extremes in incidents like this, press conferences, paper and Magazine articles and so on. He (Knight) thinks that he is above anyone or anything and that is what gets him in trouble.

Are we OK with "old school" professors slapping students?

As a public school teacher who went to a public school and had his fanny paddled a few times, I have no doubt in my mind that when the paddle advertisement hanging on the wall behind the teacher's desk, there was a measure of respect and discipline that left the classroom.

And I fear at this point that it cannot be gotten back.

As a public school teacher who went to a public school and had his fanny paddled a few times, I have no doubt in my mind that when the paddle adverstisement hanging on the wall behind the teacher's desk, there was a measure of respect and discipline that left the classroom.

And I fear at this point that it cannot be gotten back.

Apples and oranges. Are you OK with college professors slapping your 18 year old in the face?

SportsCenter is the best show on TV but they take many many things & blow them out of proportion & this happens to be one of them. The kid wasnt paying attention to the head coach so coach got his attention just like hundreds of other coaches out there. If it were ANY other coach this would not be discussed.

SportsCenter is the best show on TV but they take many many things & blow them out of proportion & this happens to be one of them. The kid wasnt paying attention to the head coach so coach got his attention just like hundreds of other coaches out there. If it were ANY other coach this would not be discussed.

1. Have you ever witnessed another head coach slapping a player during a game?

2. If your 18 year old is not paying attention in philosphy class, can the professor slap him/her?

1. Have you ever witnessed another head coach slapping a player during a game?

2. If your 18 year old is not paying attention in philosphy class, can the professor slap him/her?

Can I take this a step further? How many posters would allow this from their employer?