Tom Duffy Indicted

THUNDERBIRDS

Perhaps the recent "Me Too" movement has given these victims the courage to come forward now. There are many reasons victims delay telling their story or never tell their story. If indeed, it was "consensual" (meaning they wanted to do what they did though legally they could not consent) they may not have realized they were victims until the recent publicity given to these issues.

Now they are stepping forward. This is only speculation as to why or how these charges could be made after so many years given the apparent nature of the actions being unforced.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the question I have at this point is how do you prove a crime like this after this many years? Assuming he doesn't admit to anything, how can they undeniably prove that he did something wrong?

Well, in most of the abuse cases involving clergy, there is a significant amount of benefit of the doubt that is given to the plaintiffs - at least that's what the number of guilty verdicts would seem to imply when it comes to older cases like this when it's left to little more than finger pointing.

However, if there are multiple individuals who end up coming forward with multiple similarities in their claims, then I would see this as a pretty easy conviction.

These are not "plaintiffs" that would be civil court and there is no "benefit of the doubt" in criminal court. The burden of proof is beyond a reasonable doubt.

Again I am not a lawyer but the merits of each case need to be weighed/tried independently meaning it doesn't matter if multiple individuals come forward, each allegation would be an independent criminal case where the jury is not allowed to know about the others which is why in a case like this the jury would need to be sequestered.

Furthermore I don't see anyway Tom Duffy could get a fair trial in Boyle County, Henderson County, Campbell County, Boone County, or Kenton County. Fayette County is too close to Boyle County so I think Duffy's lawyers are going to need a change of venue to Jefferson County, Kentucky if they want an impartial jury.

To answer your original question Wireman, this probably will be a very tough case to prove beyond a reasonable doubt and it will be up to some police officers and commonwealth attorneys that may have been in diapers when the offenses were alleged to have occurred.

The only question I have is why is this an issue now? It’s probably none of my business and I don’t ask that question in a malicious or doubting tone. I just wonder what happened recently to bring up things that happened decades ago. I understand that there isn’t a statute of limitations and by all means I fully support the desire for justice. The timing of these charges has made me curious is all I am saying.

A person who was 16ish in 1982 would be what, 52ish or so now?

I’m all for justice but I agree that it just seems odd with the timing and stuff. Then again, if someone was abused, there should be justice regardless of timing.

I think it is easy to be conflicted in cases like this.

On one hand, the allegations are such an egregious violation of public trust, locking someone up and throwing away the key sounds appropriate.

On the other hand, victims waiting 36 years to report "he said she said crimes" and it having the same legal weight feels like a flaw in the system.

These are not "plaintiffs" that would be civil court and there is no "benefit of the doubt" in criminal court. The burden of proof is beyond a reasonable doubt.

Again I am not a lawyer but the merits of each case need to be weighed/tried independently meaning it doesn't matter if multiple individuals come forward, each allegation would be an independent criminal case where the jury is not allowed to know about the others which is why in a case like this the jury would need to be sequestered.

Furthermore I don't see anyway Tom Duffy could get a fair trial in Boyle County, Henderson County, Campbell County, Boone County, or Kenton County. Fayette County is too close to Boyle County so I think Duffy's lawyers are going to need a change of venue to Jefferson County, Kentucky if they want an impartial jury.

To answer your original question Wireman, this probably will be a very tough case to prove beyond a reasonable doubt and it will be up to some police officers and commonwealth attorneys that may have been in diapers when the offenses were alleged to have occurred.

You make some great points. There is no doubt in my mind that neither he nor the alleged victim(s) would get a fair trial in Boyle County. With each passing day there are more people down here coming to his defense.

I’ll also add that the people I have spoken to about this either love him or hate him. There is no in between.

You make some great points. There is no doubt in my mind that neither he nor the alleged victim(s) would get a fair trial in Boyle County. With each passing day there are more people down here coming to his defense.

I’ll also add that the people I have spoken to about this either love him or hate him. There is no in between.

I agree on all counts.

In my experience it is love him or hate him in NKY too, mostly hate him.

I would think any trial in Boyle County would end in a hung jury.

Additionally for the victim(s) part of the Duffy defense will be a character assassination that will closely examine every aspect of the victim(s) lives because in the end this is going to be "he said she said" and the Duffy Defense Team (DDT) will need to show the jury exactly who "she is" during the criminal trial(s).

Last sentence is very true.

As I have said many times long before this. I’ve always thought Tom was a great coach. Not so much as a person.

I’ve never met him or spoken to him but I have heard some wild stories about him.

I really knew Tom from a "professional" standpoint. I began doing radio in 1982 and covering HS football there. I actually did the Danville games in 1983 before going over to Boyle County and Bertram going to Danville in 1984. But we combined during the playoffs in the 80's. I knew Tom through that relationship. That's why my perspective is the way it is I suppose.

I agree on all counts.

In my experience it is love him or hate him in NKY too, mostly hate him.

I would think any trial in Boyle County would end in a hung jury.

Additionally for the victim(s) part of the Duffy defense will be a character assassination that will closely examine every aspect of the victim(s) lives because in the end this is going to be "he said she said" and the Duffy Defense Team (DDT) will need to show the jury exactly who "she is" during the criminal trial(s).

He could get a fair trial in NKY at this point. While there are a few in Ft. Thomas that have strong opinions about him, most people in NKY (and Ft. Thomas) would have no idea who he is. With 25 years passing since he left, a trial in NKY would be no issue, IMO.

Don't know him personally at all. As assitant principal at a NKY high school during his tenure at Highlands, his team was leaving the field at half time and I was monitoring the crowd so they could get to the locker room. Highlands was up by 40, at least, and he was using colorful langauage at his players that all could hear. I stopped him and told him to watch his language. He proceeded to cuss me out, also. I almost had him thrown out, but decided to deal with it a different way later.

From that incident, I pretty much have all I need to know to determine what kind of guy he is or was.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jury trial 11/25. Motion to Dismiss filed by defense denied on 6/24 following a hearing. Judge Peckler presiding. 4 counts of Sodomy 3rd Degree, D felonies, he is looking at 1-5 years on each or a max of 20 if run consecutively. He has multiple lawyers from Lexington. Free on a $10,000 cash bond.

Jury trial 11/25. Motion to Dismiss filed by defense denied on 6/24 following a hearing. Judge Peckler presiding. 4 counts of Sodomy 3rd Degree, D felonies, he is looking at 1-5 years on each or a max of 20 if run consecutively. He has multiple lawyers from Lexington. Free on a $10,000 cash bond.

Thanks for the update @Hearsay

• 4 months later...