"Papa John" Schnatter is out as member of UofL Board Of Trustees

It’s really simple. Don’t use the word. Ever. Period. Sometimes it seems like people are looking for reasons or ways they can fit it into conversations and it be ok. There’s never a reason that can justify its use if you are white.

I think that should apply to everyone, not just white people.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great points brought up here:

He didn't direct it toward anyone or any group, or call anyone the N word.

He was talking about someone else using the word and facing no consequences.

Black people are allowed to call each other the N word and it's ok.

Black musicians and comedians use the word a bunch! And it's ok.

Movies and comedy routines get away with using the word no matter what race the person is saying it.

Do most of you all on here even know where the word came from? How did it become a "racist or bad" word?

If it's so offensive to Black people then why do they say it at all?

Words are only racist if they are used in a racist way. Plain and simple. Words are not racist, actions are!

People call me "Indian". I am not Indian. I am from native American decent. Guess they are racist. I should be offended.

I along with many others for years had used the N word to describe useless, no good piece of crap, Low life ,living off the government black people.

I WAS WRONG FOR THIS. FOR TWO REASONS:

the N word meaning is not what I described above.

There are people of all races including whites that fit that description as well.

I have no problem with him saying the word when used like he did. Or anyone using it in that way.

I think that should apply to everyone, not just white people.

I get why Black people use the word, and it really doesn’t bother me. And I’m not sure why it bothers White people that Black people use the word.

I get why Black people use the word, and it really doesn’t bother me. And I’m not sure why it bothers White people that Black people use the word.

It doesn't bother me. It just makes zero sense to use a word that's offensive to you. Zero. Either it's offensive or it isn't. That's all I'm saying.

Because they want to use it too without getting in trouble. It’s not fair that the blacks can use it and they can’t.

Well...looks like this isn't going away anytime soon:

@TimSullivan714

John Schnatter says company tried to extort him to make the story go away, and that U of #Louisville President Neeli Bendapudi misrepresented their conversation about naming rights. So, no, Papa John is not going away quietly.

Well...looks like this isn't going away anytime soon:

@TimSullivan714

John Schnatter says company tried to extort him to make the story go away, and that U of #Louisville President Neeli Bendapudi misrepresented their conversation about naming rights. So, no, Papa John is not going away quietly.

Doesn’t matter. His name is toxic and anyone who defends him publicly will become toxic with him. He’ll probably go to rehab soon or something.

For black ones it is.

I enjoy roast comedy and have watched a lot of roasts. White comedians such as Jeff Ross, Lisa Lampanelli, Greg Giraldo (RIP), etc. almost always have strong racial jokes. Do African Americans frown on that or do they get a pass because it's comedy? I'm not arguing. I have always wondered about that.

I enjoy roast comedy and have watched a lot of roasts. White comedians such as Jeff Ross, Lisa Lampanelli, Greg Giraldo (RIP), etc. almost always have strong racial jokes. Do African Americans frown on that or do they get a pass because it's comedy? I'm not arguing. I have always wondered about that.

Depends on what they say. Lisa Lampanelli has always gotten a pass but she has also gotten in trouble because of some things she said that went too far.

I’ve never heard anything from Jeff Ross or Greg Giraldo so I imagine that folks are cool with things they have said. If I haven’t heard of them then I guess they know how to tie the line.

Gary Owens is a great example for how to be funny with racial jokes.

I'm not saying the H word is the same, I completely get the difference. However, it's a term used in a very disparaging way. It wreaks racism. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but it sounds like you're saying black people can't be racist. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

I do understand why the N word is much worse coming from a white person and I fully agree. I also think it's foolish for anyone to use the word, regardless of their skin color. I've always felt it's either offensive or it isn't. There really should'd be any exceptions. That's just my opinion of course.

Black people absolutely can be racist and some are. I’d argue it’s a different kind of racism, but they can absolutely be racist.