"Papa John" Schnatter is out as member of UofL Board Of Trustees

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For everybody prenteding not to understand why white people can’t say it (:lol2:), I’ll ask again... Women call each other the “B word” all the time, does that mean I can call women that to? If I do call them that, what does that say about me as a person?

Black people absolutely can be racist and some are. I’d argue it’s a different kind of racism, but they can absolutely be racist.

Thank you for the reply. I pretty much agree. I've seen some really racist white people and some really racist black people over the years. It's ugly either way.

For everybody prenteding not to understand why white people can’t say it (:lol2:), I’ll ask again... Women call each other the “B word” all the time, does that mean I can call women that to? If I do call them that, what does that say about me as a person?

Heck, I hear people call women that a lot, have for decades. It's not remotely the same.

Also, for that same group of people, what makes someone racist to you?

What was said earlier, can't remember if it was you or not. Intent. Although I fully understand a black person being immediately offended by a white person using the N word. I maintain that the word should be offensive no matter who utters it, but I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind.

Heck, I hear people call women that a lot, have for decades. It's not remotely the same.

It’s absolutely the same. Woman to woman, symbolizes sisterhood or togetherness. Man to woman, derogatory and inappropriate, decades of men trying to make women feel inferior.

Black to black, brother/sisterhood or togetherness. White to black, derogatory and inappropriate, decades of white people trying to make black people feel inferior.

What was said earlier, can't remember if it was you or not. Intent. Although I fully understand a black person being immediately offended by a white person using the N word. I maintain that the word should be offensive no matter who utters it, but I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind.

If a white person drops the n word regularly, but you deem the intent not to be malicious, you don’t consider them a racist?

I don't see a difference. He chose to say the actual word, instead of insinuating it. Does that make him a tiki torch waving racist? Not necessarily. But to at least somewhat understand the word's connotation and still choose to say it puts him in a category that I can't understand.

Maybe I just missed it; but, I thought he was in a private sensitivity training teleconference. The rules of sensitivity training sessions are too openly/privately discuss random thoughts and explore the impact of statements and actions of the past and present to avoid issues in the future. The N-word needs to disappear; but, to discuss it in sensitivity training is exactly the type of environment where real progress can be made toward its elimination.