"Papa John" Schnatter is out as member of UofL Board Of Trustees

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a white person uses the n-word, that action is racist. Period.

However, that doesn't necessarily make that person a racist. A pattern over time is what makes a person (rather than just an action) racist.

Just my two cents.

I don't disagree with you. That all makes sense. Do you feel the same if a white comedian uses the word in his routine?

What about a black comedian that uses the H word that sounds like donkey or other similar words for white people? Is that racist? Do you think black people should refrain from the N word?

If a white person uses the n-word, that action is racist. Period.

However, that doesn't necessarily make that person a racist. A pattern over time is what makes a person (rather than just an action) racist.

Just my two cents.

So to be clear, you can quote Prior, but I can’t?

I don't disagree with you. That all makes sense. Do you feel the same if a white comedian uses the word in his routine?

What about a black comedian that uses the H word that sounds like donkey or other similar words for white people? Is that racist? Do you think black people should refrain from the N word?

If a white comedian uses it in a routine regularly, I’d suspect they were racist. One time? Probably not. When a white person uses it freely and comfortably, that is a red flag.

The H word isn’t nearly the same, at all. Black people didn’t use that word against white people for decades while they enslaved them. Terrible comparison that people make all the time.

I don’t care if black people use it with each other. They’ve taken the word and turned it almost into a symbol of brotherhood. We shouldn’t have to keep explaining why it’s different when black people use it than when white people do, it’s common sense. Women call each other a certain word all the time... Does that mean I can call them that too? What kind of person does it make me if I call them that all the time?

If a white comedian uses it in a routine regularly, I’d suspect they were racist. One time? Probably not. When a white person uses it freely and comfortably, that is a red flag.

The H word isn’t nearly the same, at all. Black people didn’t use that word against white people for decades while they enslaved them. Terrible comparison that people make all the time.

I don’t care if black people use it with each other. They’ve taken the word and turned it almost into a symbol of brotherhood. We shouldn’t have to keep explaining why it’s different when black people use it than when white people do, it’s common sense. Women call each other a certain word all the time... Does that mean I can call them that too? What kind of person does it make me if I call them that all the time?

So its only racist when it benefits a party?

So its only racist when it benefits a party?

It’s racist when it’s racist. When someone uses it in a derogatory manner frequently. It’s really not that hard. Use common sense. If it seems racist, it probably is.

It’s racist when it’s racist. When someone uses it in a derogatory manner frequently. It’s really not that hard. Use common sense. If it seems racist, it probably is.

It’s really simple. Don’t use the word. Ever. Period. Sometimes it seems like people are looking for reasons or ways they can fit it into conversations and it be ok. There’s never a reason that can justify its use if you are white.

I'm not saying the H word is the same, I completely get the difference. However, it's a term used in a very disparaging way. It wreaks racism. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but it sounds like you're saying black people can't be racist. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

I do understand why the N word is much worse coming from a white person and I fully agree. I also think it's foolish for anyone to use the word, regardless of their skin color. I've always felt it's either offensive or it isn't. There really should'd be any exceptions. That's just my opinion of course.