Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

"Papa John" Schnatter is out as member of UofL Board Of Trustees

Featured Replies

I don’t understand your question...

 

In your opinion is the word racist or the does the context make it racist?

  • Replies 299
  • Views 51.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If a white person uses the n-word, that action is racist. Period.

 

However, that doesn't necessarily make that person a racist. A pattern over time is what makes a person (rather than just an action) racist.

 

Just my two cents.

 

I don't disagree with you. That all makes sense. Do you feel the same if a white comedian uses the word in his routine?

What about a black comedian that uses the H word that sounds like donkey or other similar words for white people? Is that racist? Do you think black people should refrain from the N word?

If a white person uses the n-word, that action is racist. Period.

 

However, that doesn't necessarily make that person a racist. A pattern over time is what makes a person (rather than just an action) racist.

 

Just my two cents.

 

So to be clear, you can quote Prior, but I can’t?

In your opinion is the word racist or the does the context make it racist?

 

The word is racist. Content and the frequency of use determine if using it makes the person a racist.

I don't disagree with you. That all makes sense. Do you feel the same if a white comedian uses the word in his routine?

What about a black comedian that uses the H word that sounds like donkey or other similar words for white people? Is that racist? Do you think black people should refrain from the N word?

 

If a white comedian uses it in a routine regularly, I’d suspect they were racist. One time? Probably not. When a white person uses it freely and comfortably, that is a red flag.

 

The H word isn’t nearly the same, at all. Black people didn’t use that word against white people for decades while they enslaved them. Terrible comparison that people make all the time.

 

I don’t care if black people use it with each other. They’ve taken the word and turned it almost into a symbol of brotherhood. We shouldn’t have to keep explaining why it’s different when black people use it than when white people do, it’s common sense. Women call each other a certain word all the time... Does that mean I can call them that too? What kind of person does it make me if I call them that all the time?

So to be clear, you can quote Prior, but I can’t?

 

You can quote whoever you want.

If a white comedian uses it in a routine regularly, I’d suspect they were racist. One time? Probably not. When a white person uses it freely and comfortably, that is a red flag.

 

The H word isn’t nearly the same, at all. Black people didn’t use that word against white people for decades while they enslaved them. Terrible comparison that people make all the time.

 

I don’t care if black people use it with each other. They’ve taken the word and turned it almost into a symbol of brotherhood. We shouldn’t have to keep explaining why it’s different when black people use it than when white people do, it’s common sense. Women call each other a certain word all the time... Does that mean I can call them that too? What kind of person does it make me if I call them that all the time?

 

So its only racist when it benefits a party?

So its only racist when it benefits a party?

 

It’s racist when it’s racist. When someone uses it in a derogatory manner frequently. It’s really not that hard. Use common sense. If it seems racist, it probably is.

It’s racist when it’s racist. When someone uses it in a derogatory manner frequently. It’s really not that hard. Use common sense. If it seems racist, it probably is.

 

It’s really simple. Don’t use the word. Ever. Period. Sometimes it seems like people are looking for reasons or ways they can fit it into conversations and it be ok. There’s never a reason that can justify its use if you are white.

The word is racist. Content and the frequency of use determine if using it makes the person a racist.

 

It was weird hearing Dre, call Eminem it for the first time.

It was weird hearing Dre, call Eminem it for the first time.

 

Which was stupid, IMO.

It's weird that comedians use words like this all the time and people laugh and never get upset.

It's weird that comedians use words like this all the time and people laugh and never get upset.

 

No it's not.

It's weird that comedians use words like this all the time and people laugh and never get upset.

 

See post 97.

If a white comedian uses it in a routine regularly, I’d suspect they were racist. One time? Probably not. When a white person uses it freely and comfortably, that is a red flag.

 

The H word isn’t nearly the same, at all. Black people didn’t use that word against white people for decades while they enslaved them. Terrible comparison that people make all the time.

 

I don’t care if black people use it with each other. They’ve taken the word and turned it almost into a symbol of brotherhood. We shouldn’t have to keep explaining why it’s different when black people use it than when white people do, it’s common sense. Women call each other a certain word all the time... Does that mean I can call them that too? What kind of person does it make me if I call them that all the time?

I'm not saying the H word is the same, I completely get the difference. However, it's a term used in a very disparaging way. It wreaks racism. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but it sounds like you're saying black people can't be racist. If I'm wrong, I apologize.

I do understand why the N word is much worse coming from a white person and I fully agree. I also think it's foolish for anyone to use the word, regardless of their skin color. I've always felt it's either offensive or it isn't. There really should'd be any exceptions. That's just my opinion of course.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.