"Papa John" Schnatter is out as member of UofL Board Of Trustees

Blacks or black people have the same meaning to me. The same as we call people Jews. Or Asians. Or as some of you call native Americans- "Indians"

Who is we? I’ve never used those terms when referencing Jewish folks or Native Americans. :idunno:

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you know ,TheDuece, there are a lot of times I agree with you on many different things. There are times we don't, usually when it comes to something about racism. But it seems to me that on these topics of something that has to do with racism that you just look for an argument.

Back to topic, I don't know enough about the "Papa" to have an opinion on the man himself.

As long as people continue to accuse the blacks of looking for an argument about racism when these topics of racism become a discussion then no one should ever expect racism to end. I’ve already instructed my kids to not expect an end to racism in their lifetime and I imagine that they will instruct my grandkids to this reality as well.

Fellow white people, the n-word is completely off-limits for us 100% of the time. Why is it that SO terribly challenging for us to come to terms with?

It’s truly astonishing that so many, even here on BGP, have such a hard time with it. Sad, really.

Not sure how black people can be racist towards black people. Just another point we disagree on.

You misunderstand. If you say because of the color of my skin I can say a certain word but because of the color of your skin you can't, that's racist. The word shouldn't be said by anyone. Period. I shouldn't have to explain why.

The only time the divide comes up concerning this word is when white people use it or try to rationalize why they can’t use it. It’s simple to me. I never use the saltine equivalent slur like George Jefferson used to and I never use the H word that rhymes with donkey. I expect the same from caucasians in reverse. It’s called respect.

We agree here, completely. The only difference I see between us is I think the N word should never be said by anyone. Out of respect and self respect.

All I see are a bunch of excuses for people who don’t have the intellectual capabilities of knowing when you can and can’t be offensive. There isn’t a person in this thread who hasn’t said something that would offend someone but I bet you that everyone in this thread learned one way or another how, when and where to say offensive things. I say offensive things all of the time but I’m not stupid enough to say offensive things in front of the wrong people.

Is common sense really disappearing as rapidly as it seems?

Edit: Hell, don’t answer that last question.

You have a strange way of looking at some things to me. I think we all know what is offensive and when we can or can't say something. No one is arguing that. What's being argued is that the N word is offensive and shouldn't be said by anyone. Period. I can't understand why we can't get past even that.

Why is it that white people want to hold black people more accountable for use of the n word but don’t want to hold white people accountable for the centuries of systemic racism that has afflicted the black community? Y’all are more worried about me using a word amongst my friends in my safe space than y’all are about me being killed by the police and then screwed over by the justice system.

Where did you get that idea? Where did anyone on her e say any of that? How in the world is us saying that offensive word should not be said by anyone correlate we want black people afflicted with systemic racism or you being killed by the police and then screwed over by the justice system? This is absurd to me.

Where did you get that idea? Where did anyone on her e say any of that? How in the world is us saying that offensive word should not be said by anyone correlate we want black people afflicted with systemic racism or you being killed by the police and then screwed over by the justice system? This is absurd to me.

We are 200 posts in on a debate about the use of the n word. Multiple people are saying or implying that blacks need to quit using the n word and if they use it then blacks can’t get mad when white people use it. CWB hit the nail on the head in post #198. The same absurdity you feel about this post of mine that you quoted is the same absurdity I feel about having a discussion about white people using the n word.

If I was killed by a cop there’s a pretty good chance most people would hear the story and say it was my fault regardless of my interpretation or perpspective of the same event. I see the same thing about this discussion of the n word. “Blacks can use it all they want. Just don’t get mad when other races use it.”

That’s a quote in this thread. So yeah, you can call it absurd all you want. I call it reality.

You misunderstand. If you say because of the color of my skin I can say a certain word but because of the color of your skin you can't, that's racist. The word shouldn't be said by anyone. Period. I shouldn't have to explain why.

And we shouldn’t have to explain why black people can say it and white people can’t. But, here we are.