Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

"Papa John" Schnatter is out as member of UofL Board Of Trustees

Featured Replies

That’s exactly how it works. He didn’t invent the franchise model for restaurants and once someone purchases a franchise the only thing on it is his name. That doesn’t take smarts. That takes hard work, motivation, access and networking more than anything else. He did what Pizza Hut has been doing for decades and folks are like, “man he’s really smart.” Hogwash. He’s a hard worker.

 

I'm not saying he's smarter than anyone else. But there are millions of hard workers out there that don't become millionaires let alone billionaires.

 

As far as copying what others did, he absolutely did to a point. But again there have been 10s of thousands of pizza joints open and close in this country that would have loved to have done what he did. A lot of them were ran by hard workers who just weren't smart enough to grow their business like he did. It's not just hard work or else there would be a lot more millionaires around here.

  • Replies 299
  • Views 51.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be hard for me to doubt Papa John's business success. The numbers speak for themselves.

 

But it's possible to be a great businessman and still be a jerk.

I'm not saying he's smarter than anyone else. But there are millions of hard workers out there that don't become millionaires let alone billionaires.

 

As far as copying what others did, he absolutely did to a point. But again there have been 10s of thousands of pizza joints open and close in this country that would have loved to have done what he did. A lot of them were ran by hard workers who just weren't smart enough to grow their business like he did. It's not just hard work or else there would be a lot more millionaires around here.

 

Knowing how to do one thing good doesn’t make you smart.

It would be hard for me to doubt Papa John's business success. The numbers speak for themselves.

 

But it's possible to be a great businessman and still be a jerk.

 

It’s possible to be stupid and be a great businessman.

I read a headline that claims he said " He wasn't for sale and he was blackmailed ". Can we say Pizzagate...Maybe he was sauced or peperoni'd. lol, I didn't read the article, the headline was enough to click next.

I never said it was easy. I said you don’t have to be smart to have his financial success. You have to have his work ethic and motivation. Brain power though? Hell nah. Hard work beats brains and talent everyday.

 

So are you smart? Hard worker? Have brain power? Talented? Have billions?

He must be a very lucky dude. Got nothing on Lavar Ball.

Knowing how to do one thing good doesn’t make you smart.

 

He probably had to do more than one thing well to grow his business. After all he had to have a successful chain of stores way before franchising or going public were ever thought of.

 

Dude says and does stupid things, doesn't mean he's stupid in all aspects of his life.

 

But hate on, I like it when you have pure hate for some one...like Dwade, it's fun to watch.

So are you smart? Hard worker? Have brain power? Talented? Have billions?

He must be a very lucky dude. Got nothing on Lavar Ball.

 

Depends on who you ask. Some say I am smart. Others say I am stupid. I truly don’t care what anyone thinks though. Especially after watching humans walk around these days. I say what I say. I feel what I feel. My wife loves me. My kids love me. My true friends love me. What else matters?

 

I’m a hard worker. Don’t have many talents. I’m sure I’ve spent well over 2M in my life.

 

I’d say he and Lavar Ball are intellectually similar.

 

To answer your question though I grew up entitled and took life for granted. I always knew I’d be able to get what I’d need to live the lifestyle I want. What I didn’t know is how many stupid people there are in this world. I used to think everyone was smart. WRONG. I drank so much beer, smoked so much weed and had so much unprotected sex in college that I ruined any chance to make my millions. If I had the focus and discipline of Papa John there’s no doubt in my mind that I’d be on ESPN right now talking smack about LeBron not being better than Kobe and chilling with 7 figures in my bank account. But I was irresponsible in college so instead I’ll just have to make do with my current job that pays me good money with great benefits and make sure these bills get paid in between these 3 vacations and various weekend outings with my true friends and family. I mean, I may not be the genius that y’all claim Papa John to be but my life doesn’t suck by any means.

He probably had to do more than one thing well to grow his business. After all he had to have a successful chain of stores way before franchising or going public were ever thought of.

 

Dude says and does stupid things, doesn't mean he's stupid in all aspects of his life.

 

But hate on, I like it when you have pure hate for some one...like Dwade, it's fun to watch.

 

I call it like I see it. Papa John isn’t a smart man in my book. A smart man knows when and where to use the n word without losing social status over it.

I’m thinking all people who want to have business and have good credit has a business of some sort.

 

Did Papa John decide to go public all by himself or was he advised to go public by someone to do so?

 

When he was making pizzas in daddy’s closet was it his grand scheme to go public one day or did things just fall into place once he found some success?

 

Did he study what other franchise fast food restaurants did to become successful or did he figure out how to make that money all on his own?

 

What was his motivation?

 

What was his goal from day one?

 

Did he meet someone at some point who gave him a broader vision of where he could take his brand or did he know from day one that he could sell his brand?

 

I know this. I worked for Papa John’s for 3 years of my life. 1 year as a delivery driver at the UK campus Papa John’s in Lexington(probably the second best job of my life), and 2 years in the Danville/Harrodsburg Papa John’s. I was an integral part of opening the Harrodsburg Papa John’s and was the #1 Assistant Manager at that Papa John’s and turned down a chance to become Manager there once I got hired at Wendy’s for an assistant manager spot which paid more than a manager at Papa John’s. The franchise owners at Papa John’s in Danville/Harrodsburg were outstanding people to work for and to this day they still own both Papa John’s. Not one time did we ever hear a peep from Papa John on what to do or how to run his beloved Pizza franchise but the franchise owners took damn good care of us and taught us what we needed to know about Papa John’s. So no, I don’t want to hear about how smart he is when his success is rooted in the work of the people who own his franchises. Those people got him rich. Not his brains. He got it started and people bought in and it eventually took off. The only smart thing he did was convince people to buy in so he could make money off of their work. That is smart. But I am not trying to hear that he is smarter than the average person when he clearly isn’t.

 

Most billionaires are extraordinary people, who are visionaries and put a vision into motion. Rich investors don’t “buy in” to half baked ideas.

 

He got a lot of people to open a Papa John's restaurant, potential franchisees must have at least $250,000 in net worth, access to liquid assets of at least $75,000, and the ability to obtain financing of up to $275,000. The company also charges a one-time franchise fee of $25,000 for new restaurants.

Papa John is an outstanding businessman. There's no other way to paint it.

Papa John is an outstanding businessman. There's no other way to paint it.

 

And he is stupid.

Most billionaires are extraordinary people, who are visionaries and put a vision into motion. Rich investors don’t “buy in” to half baked ideas.

 

He got a lot of people to open a Papa John's restaurant, potential franchisees must have at least $250,000 in net worth, access to liquid assets of at least $75,000, and the ability to obtain financing of up to $275,000. The company also charges a one-time franchise fee of $25,000 for new restaurants.

 

And this proves he is smart how?

And he is stupid.

 

For saying what he did and putting himself in the situation he did, I agree, very stupid.

For saying what he did and putting himself in the situation he did, I agree, very stupid.

 

Agree...just like smart people get DUI's, invest in the wrong fund, marry the wrong person, say really stupid stuff, etc. Smart people aren't immune from stupid acts. Heck, we say it all the time...how can (blank) be so dumb to (fill in the blank for dumb thing). And some people who are smart in some aspects of their life can be very very dumb in other aspects. Harvey Weinstein is undoubtedly a smart dude in some ways, yet very very stupid in others. His smarts built a huge film production company and made him rich, his stupidity will probably ruin him in both reputation and financially. Intelligence doesn't occur in a vacuum where you either do everything right or everything wrong. Schnatter may very well be stupid in a lot of ways, but he's undoubtedly pretty sharp in others.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.