Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

I don't want to live in a world where Corporations decide what we can and can't do...

Featured Replies

Extremely compelling!

 

Do you agree that eventually the Supreme Court will have to rule on this issue?

 

I don’t really.

 

1) It’s entirely possible that a lawsuit on this matter might be enough to get them to quietly reverse this because they don’t care enough to fight it. Then the case is moot.

 

2) We’ll have to get a couple of appellate courts that disagree on this before the Supreme Court will agree to hear it and I don’t know that we’ll get that on an age discrimination case that doesn’t have to do with employment. I think they’re going to give gun dealers a pretty wide berth to do what they want.

  • Replies 165
  • Views 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
I don’t really.

 

1) It’s entirely possible that a lawsuit on this matter might be enough to get them to quietly reverse this because they don’t care enough to fight it. Then the case is moot.

 

2) We’ll have to get a couple of appellate courts that disagree on this before the Supreme Court will agree to hear it and I don’t know that we’ll get that on an age discrimination case that doesn’t have to do with employment. I think they’re going to give gun dealers a pretty wide berth to do what they want.

 

In both cases you are describing the legal system getting involved.

 

Of course I understand the Supreme Court comes last but sooner or later this issue (age discrimination as is relates to firearms) is going to end up in court.

Just because something happens all the time doesn't make it legal.

 

I believe you're trying to stretch the argument. I think everyone is having a knee jerk reaction because it's what is done when any limits or regulations are suggested on guns of any type. But this isn't at all related to laws, governmental regulations or bans. This is simply a business making a policy for their business. It does not seem to do so based on ethical standards or morals. It simply is a matter of not wanting to be tied to a future school shooting.

I thought that this discussion was about Dick's stopping the sale of Assault-Style Weapons...didn't realize that you were specifically talking about age restrictions.

 

If it became the standard trend with weapon enthusiasts to stockpile pipe bombs (because of their 2nd Amendment right to bear arms), should Dick's be forced to carry them in their inventory?

 

When did the term "assault weapons" shift to "assault style weapons" and why?

I believe you're trying to stretch the argument. I think everyone is having a knee jerk reaction because it's what is done when any limits or regulations are suggested on guns of any type. But this isn't at all related to laws, governmental regulations or bans. This is simply a business making a policy for their business. It does not seem to do so based on ethical standards or morals. It simply is a matter of not wanting to be tied to a future school shooting.

 

Exactly Bud’s should be able to open another store or two because of this.

When did the term "assault weapons" shift to "assault style weapons" and why?

 

Websters calls these assault rifles. Sounds like potato = potatoe.

  • Author
I believe you're trying to stretch the argument. I think everyone is having a knee jerk reaction because it's what is done when any limits or regulations are suggested on guns of any type. But this isn't at all related to laws, governmental regulations or bans. This is simply a business making a policy for their business. It does not seem to do so based on ethical standards or morals. It simply is a matter of not wanting to be tied to a future school shooting.

 

Exactly what argument am I trying to stretch?

When did the term "assault weapons" shift to "assault style weapons" and why?

 

That's what Dick's called them in their press release, I believe.

Websters calls these assault rifles. Sounds like potato = potatoe.

 

What is an assault rifle? Do you know?

When did the term "assault weapons" shift to "assault style weapons" and why?

 

Probably because assault style addresses the cosmetic similarities without calling it an assault weapon.

Assault Rifle | Definition of Assault Rifle by Merriam-Webster

 

Shot the automatic and semi automatic version. I know.

 

That is a torturous read since it starts with the very rough definition used by the military - selectable firing modes (they left out 3 round burst). After that - they use the Sugarmann terminology.

 

Josh Sugarmann invented the modern terminology - not Webster.

When did the term "assault weapons" shift to "assault style weapons" and why?

 

I don't know, that's just the way that it was presented in the headlines today. :idunno:

That is a torturous read since it starts with the very rough definition used by the military - selectable firing modes (they left out 3 round burst). After that - they use the Sugarmann terminology.

 

Josh Sugarmann invented the modern terminology - not Webster.

 

Sorry I don’t look to Josh Sugarmann for definitions. When he and Webster get together and modify things I’ll be down.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.