I don't want to live in a world where Corporations decide what we can and can't do...

theguru

Extremely compelling!

Do you agree that eventually the Supreme Court will have to rule on this issue?

I don’t really.

1) It’s entirely possible that a lawsuit on this matter might be enough to get them to quietly reverse this because they don’t care enough to fight it. Then the case is moot.

2) We’ll have to get a couple of appellate courts that disagree on this before the Supreme Court will agree to hear it and I don’t know that we’ll get that on an age discrimination case that doesn’t have to do with employment. I think they’re going to give gun dealers a pretty wide berth to do what they want.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t really.

1) It’s entirely possible that a lawsuit on this matter might be enough to get them to quietly reverse this because they don’t care enough to fight it. Then the case is moot.

2) We’ll have to get a couple of appellate courts that disagree on this before the Supreme Court will agree to hear it and I don’t know that we’ll get that on an age discrimination case that doesn’t have to do with employment. I think they’re going to give gun dealers a pretty wide berth to do what they want.

In both cases you are describing the legal system getting involved.

Of course I understand the Supreme Court comes last but sooner or later this issue (age discrimination as is relates to firearms) is going to end up in court.

Just because something happens all the time doesn't make it legal.

I believe you're trying to stretch the argument. I think everyone is having a knee jerk reaction because it's what is done when any limits or regulations are suggested on guns of any type. But this isn't at all related to laws, governmental regulations or bans. This is simply a business making a policy for their business. It does not seem to do so based on ethical standards or morals. It simply is a matter of not wanting to be tied to a future school shooting.

I thought that this discussion was about Dick's stopping the sale of Assault-Style Weapons...didn't realize that you were specifically talking about age restrictions.

If it became the standard trend with weapon enthusiasts to stockpile pipe bombs (because of their 2nd Amendment right to bear arms), should Dick's be forced to carry them in their inventory?

When did the term "assault weapons" shift to "assault style weapons" and why?

I believe you're trying to stretch the argument. I think everyone is having a knee jerk reaction because it's what is done when any limits or regulations are suggested on guns of any type. But this isn't at all related to laws, governmental regulations or bans. This is simply a business making a policy for their business. It does not seem to do so based on ethical standards or morals. It simply is a matter of not wanting to be tied to a future school shooting.

Exactly Bud’s should be able to open another store or two because of this.

Exactly what argument am I trying to stretch?

Assault Rifle | Definition of Assault Rifle by Merriam-Webster

Shot the automatic and semi automatic version. I know.

That is a torturous read since it starts with the very rough definition used by the military - selectable firing modes (they left out 3 round burst). After that - they use the Sugarmann terminology.

Josh Sugarmann invented the modern terminology - not Webster.

Assault Rifle | Definition of Assault Rifle by Merriam-Webster

Shot the automatic and semi automatic version. I know.

Classifying a gun an assault rifle because of the way it looks is just stupid. Glock makes a full auto pistol? Does that make all glocks assault weapons since they all basically look the same? Is the Mossberg 715T an assault rifle?

That is a torturous read since it starts with the very rough definition used by the military - selectable firing modes (they left out 3 round burst). After that - they use the Sugarmann terminology.

Josh Sugarmann invented the modern terminology - not Webster.

Sorry I don’t look to Josh Sugarmann for definitions. When he and Webster get together and modify things I’ll be down.