All A a KHSAA event?

PP1

As the others have pointed out the All A Classic is not a KHSAA event and it is definitely NOT a state championship of any sort. It is the All A Classic just like the KOB or any other tourney.

I'll bite...why ?

If you have an invitational tournament, that has a selection criteria to play, and everyone has an equal chance to win, against every other school that fall within the selection criteria, in the state.....How can you possibly say "it is definitely NOT a state championship of any sort" ?

I get what side of the fence you are on, and have no issues with an opinion...but your statement is false in its premise....because based on the entrance criteria, it MOST certainly is a State Championship of some sort....just by definition.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that if it was truly for only the "A" size schools there would be less heartburn for a lot of people. Those would be the size schools that truly have a disadvantage from a student body standpoint when it comes to competing for a Sweet 16 berth.

They use the “smallest 125 schools” figure to determine who is eligible and I suppose it had more smaller schools in it before all the consolidations in the last two decades. I know just in my region alone that Whitesburg, Letcher High, Fleming-Neon, and Dilce Combs were lost to consolidation. That has allowed more schools that are 600+ enrollment to play in it due to the need to reach the 125 number. The only way around that is not use 125 as a cutoff and simply use an enrollment cutoff number, such as 400 and under. But if that was done some of the regions wouldn’t have many teams eligible. Some already only have only 4 teams.

I think that if it was truly for only the "A" size schools there would be less heartburn for a lot of people. Those would be the size schools that truly have a disadvantage from a student body standpoint when it comes to competing for a Sweet 16 berth.

I would like to see a list all of the teams since the All A started that competed in the All A and won a Sweet 16 regional and/or state championship.

They use the “smallest 125 schools” figure to determine who is eligible and I suppose it had more smaller schools in it before all the consolidations in the last two decades. I know just in my region alone that Whitesburg, Letcher High, Fleming-Neon, and Dilce Combs were lost to consolidation. That has allowed more schools that are 600+ enrollment to play in it due to the need to reach the 125 number. The only way around that is not use 125 as a cutoff and simply use an enrollment cutoff number, such as 400 and under. But if that was done some of the regions wouldn’t have many teams eligible. Some already only have only 4 teams.

The 12th Region only truly has three since Monticello consolidated a few years back. Since then, Washington Co. has been moved over to the 12th Region for the purposes of All A Classic play.

I would like to see a list all of the teams since the All A started that competed in the All A and won a Sweet 16 regional and/or state championship.

Bardstown has pulled the All A Region champ and overall 5th Region champ daily double three different times.

As the others have pointed out the All A Classic is not a KHSAA event and it is definitely NOT a state championship of any sort. It is the All A Classic just like the KOB or any other tourney.

You know many years ago I made this exact same argument and was darn near crucified on here, now most of you are saying the exact same thing. Where were you then? :lol2:

You know many years ago I made this exact same argument and was darn near crucified on here, now most of you are saying the exact same thing. Where were you then? :lol2:

It's more than the king of the bluegrass. The KOB is an invitational. This is an "open" tournament for all teams under a certain enrollment.

The way some are looking at this, there wouldn't be a state title for any sport that is "classed" for enrollment.

It's not the sweet 16 but it's more than just a "holiday" tournament.

I attended some of the Seventh Region All A tournament over the weekend, and saw excitement and competitiveness that most of the participants will never experience in competing in the KHSAA, as it is rare in the Seventh Region for any of the schools who play in the All A to make it to the regional tournament, much less the state tournament. I am really glad the small schools have this opportunity.

The All 'A' Classic IS a KHSAA-sanctioned event ... sort of.

There is a KHSAA bylaw (23) that FORBIDS missed class time for NON-postseason events. Obviously the All 'A' is NOT a KHSAA postseason tourney (district, region, state).

Therefore, it is either the ONE (and only) exempt in-state tournament for boys and girls (prior to district) to be allowed to do this ... or it is, indeed, a KHSAA-sanctioned event.

https://khsaa.org/handbook/bylaws/20142015/bylaw23.pdf

Page 1

BYLAW 23. LIMITATION OF SEASONS

Sec. 1) GENERAL PROVISIONS CONCERNING ALL SPORTS AND SPORT-ACTIVITIES

a) Playing During School Hours

School Time shall not be lost for travel to or from, or participation in, any regular season interscholastic athletic contest.

It's more than the king of the bluegrass. The KOB is an invitational. This is an "open" tournament for all teams under a certain enrollment.

The way some are looking at this, there wouldn't be a state title for any sport that is "classed" for enrollment.

It's not the sweet 16 but it's more than just a "holiday" tournament.

I agree. The way I’m interpreting some of the post on here is that if we were to compare the All A Classic State tournament to the football state tournaments the only one that would count as a state tournament champ would be the 6A winner.