All A a KHSAA event?

PP1

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the others have pointed out the All A Classic is not a KHSAA event and it is definitely NOT a state championship of any sort. It is the All A Classic just like the KOB or any other tourney.

I disagree. I think what separates it from the KOB and other tournaments is it utilizes all eligible teams that are in the smallest 125 enrollment from the KHSAA designated 16 regions. That makes it a state tournament and a state championship. It doesn’t have to be a KHSAA event to be a state tournament. It’s not an invitational tournament. Anyone can play in it if they’re eligible, beginning in their region tournament all the way to the state finals.

It’s a lot more than an invitational tournament just because everyone is involved the meets the requirements. Compared to the sweet 16 they treat everyone much better. No comparison in hospitality rooms. Sweet sixteen I get popcorn and coke’s.

Another point, unless something has changed since I retired over a decade ago, as far as financial advantages the All A State tourney is much, much better to the participating teams than the KHSAA tourney. They allot a certain amount of money for the lodging and if memory serves me correctly they also give each school some money to help pay food expenses.

Our school has has never made it to the KHSAA state but by talking to schools who have been in both I learned how the KHSAA compares. Most of the expenses for Sweet 16 teams is on the schools.

Curiouswhat overhead does the All A group have? The scholarships, what else.

KHSAA has significant more overhead I would think.

As the others have pointed out the All A Classic is not a KHSAA event and it is definitely NOT a state championship of any sort. It is the All A Classic just like the KOB or any other tourney.

I have never understood why some people on here get all torn up with people calling it the All A State championship? Some of you all act like it's devaluing something and it's not.

If tomorrow the khsaa decides you know what we will sponsor this. Does that make it a state championship in your all's minds then?

Should we just say in football in classes 1a through 5a they are just tournament winners and the actual state champ is Trinity every year?

The All A is definitely a state championship for the teams that meet the enrollment numbers. It is set up for every team in the state who meet those enrollment numbers to be in it. It has regional championships just like every other state championship tournament has in all sports. Then has a final tournament for all 16 regional champions. So no it's not like any of the other tournament you just mentioned.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the winner calling themselves the All A State champ because they are the champion in Ky for teams with enrollment number under the 150 mark. Just like in football a team is considered the state champ in each class for their enrollment number.

Imo the people in the state should be happy the tournament is called the All A State championship. I'm sure the khsaa loves that it exist too. It prevents people from arguing for Ky to go to seperate classes like all these other states have ended up doing. In how the world works today. You can almost guarntee if the All A didn't exist Kentucky would be in classes by now. Because there would have been so much complaining about being unequal and unfair for smaller schools. So instead of people being upset about the All A being called a state championship. Be happy it exist or else we probably don't have our traditional state tournament and would be classes by now like other states.

Curiouswhat overhead does the All A group have? The scholarships, what else.

KHSAA has significant more overhead I would think.

KHSAA has significant more bureaucracy that needs to be paid for. Comparing the Sweet 16 to the All A, they probably have less overhead as they barely give the teams anything compared to the All A Tourney.

Does anybody have any idea how many teams that played in the all-A state semis or finals went on to win their regional and/or do well or even win the Khsaa State Title?

In 2010, Shelby Valley won both the All A state tournament and the KHSAA state tournament. In 1992, University Heights beat Lexington Catholic in the KHSAA state tournament final; both University Heights and Lexington Catholic had played in the All A state tournament (Lexington Catholic won it, while University Heights had lost in the semi-finals).

In 2003, St. Henry beat Rose Hill Christian in the finals of the All A state tournament and both played in the KHSAA state tournament. In 2000, Newport Central Catholic won the All A state tournament and played in the KHSAA state tournament. In 1993, Harlan played in both. In 1994 University Heights played in both. I am sure there are more examples of that happening.

In 2010, Shelby Valley won both the All A state tournament and the KHSAA state tournament. In 1992, University Heights beat Lexington Catholic in the KHSAA state tournament final; both University Heights and Lexington Catholic had played in the All A state tournament (Lexington Catholic won it, while University Heights had lost in the semi-finals).

To add to this, Hazard’s girls won both All A Classic State title and the KHSAA state title in the same year in the late 1990’s.

I know that being in a district with an All A school makes scheduling a nightmare. They basically stop their schedule for two weeks so they can allow for All A play. It makes it really difficult this time of year when weather can play a factor in your games to get the actual mandated district games played.