All A a KHSAA event?

PP1

No matter how bad some of you want the All A Classic to be a state championship it is not a state championship.

^This.

I think the All "A" Classic Basketball Tournament is one of the best things out there. Everyone should experience it and have the chance to see what it means to the small teams across the state that normally don't make appearances in their district/region/Sweet 16.

But I can assure you without the All "A" Tournament - The Sweet 16 would easily survive.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!

Since when did accurately describing something turn into trying to "discredit" something.

I guess it is the world we live in today...

Forgive me....perhaps I'm reading too much in between the lines. And maybe discredit is too strong of a word. It just feels like there are a bunch of folks who are trying to make sure the "All A" understands where it ranks in the hierarchy. Obviously, much of this likely is tied to the resistance so many have towards classing basketball here in KY. I think it's pretty clear to everyone (at least it is to me) that the "All A" isn't an actual "state" championship. It is however, a very large, tournament, played across the entire state, including every region with all teams below a certain enrollment. I have no issue with the tournament winner being called "All A State Champs" simply because of the scope of the tournament. It just doesn't seem to be a big enough deal that so many folks are battling over semantics as to what this tournaments winner should be called, and why a pinpoint description is needed.

You know my answer. Go on. Try to trap me.

I'm not trying to trap you. Just trying to understand. If I'm following you and your posts accurately, then your position is it is not a state championship unless it is recognized by the KHSAA as a state championship. It doesn't matter whether it is a statewide tournament that all schools of a certain size participate in or not. It is all about being a KHSAA event.

I'm not trying to trap you. Just trying to understand. If I'm following you and your posts accurately, then your position is it is not a state championship unless it is recognized by the KHSAA as a state championship. It doesn't matter whether it is a statewide tournament that all schools of a certain size participate in or not. It is all about being a KHSAA event.

Correct.

Forgive me....perhaps I'm reading too much in between the lines. And maybe discredit is too strong of a word. It just feels like there are a bunch of folks who are trying to make sure the "All A" understands where it ranks in the hierarchy. Obviously, much of this likely is tied to the resistance so many have towards classing basketball here in KY. I think it's pretty clear to everyone (at least it is to me) that the "All A" isn't an actual "state" championship. It is however, a very large, tournament, played across the entire state, including every region with all teams below a certain enrollment. I have no issue with the tournament winner being called "All A State Champs" simply because of the scope of the tournament. It just doesn't seem to be a big enough deal that so many folks are battling over semantics as to what this tournaments winner should be called, and why a pinpoint description is needed.

If we want to brag about having just ONE state champ in basketball and having no classifications then you cannot logically call the All A Tournament, as amazing and great an event that it may be, a state championship. Then you are in a logical fallacy.

I have no doubt the quality of play, level of competition, quality of teams, intensity, or anything of the sort. Winning the All A is an amazing accomplishment and hanging a banner of being "All A Tournament 2018 Champions" is 100% fine and I would encourage it. You just can't call it a state championship as it is not recognized as such by the only relevant HS Sports governing body in KY.

Trinity has won a number of "titles" in club sports but they aren't official state championships and if any of those sports were ever recognized they would still not be considered state championships. That is fine, and I have no issue with it.

If we want to brag about having just ONE state champ in basketball and having no classifications then you cannot logically call the All A Tournament, as amazing and great an event that it may be, a state championship. Then you are in a logical fallacy.

I have no doubt the quality of play, level of competition, quality of teams, intensity, or anything of the sort. Winning the All A is an amazing accomplishment and hanging a banner of being "All A Tournament 2018 Champions" is 100% fine and I would encourage it. You just can't call it a state championship as it is not recognized as such by the only relevant HS Sports governing body in KY.

Trinity has won a number of "titles" in club sports but they aren't official state championships and if any of those sports were ever recognized they would still not be considered state championships. That is fine, and I have no issue with it.[/QUOTE]

You may need to talk to someone at Trinity about that. If you go to Trinity's website, it proclaims:

Lacrosse Rocks State Champs; Finish Season Ranked 5th Nationally

The Trinity Lacrosse Rocks finished the 2017 season with a record of 18-3, a state championship, and a national ranking of fifth. The Rocks defeated Saint Xavier 11-9 on May 19 for the state title.

I don't believe lacrosse is a KHSAA-sanctioned sport.

Trinity has won a number of "titles" in club sports but they aren't official state championships and if any of those sports were ever recognized they would still not be considered state championships. That is fine, and I have no issue with it.[/QUOTE]

You may need to talk to someone at Trinity about that. If you go to Trinity's website, it proclaims:

Lacrosse Rocks State Champs; Finish Season Ranked 5th Nationally

The Trinity Lacrosse Rocks finished the 2017 season with a record of 18-3, a state championship, and a national ranking of fifth. The Rocks defeated Saint Xavier 11-9 on May 19 for the state title.

I don't believe lacrosse is a KHSAA-sanctioned sport.

It's not and I agree they shouldn't be calling then state titles.

IMO:

1. State Championship

2. All A “Statewide” Championship

3. Region Championship

4. District Championship

To me that is the importance of the All A and I’m sure many schools will agree with me. Not sure why there is so much distaste for this tournament.

As a green co fan (one region title-1976), a 5th region title would mean more to me.

^This.

I think the All "A" Classic Basketball Tournament is one of the best things out there. Everyone should experience it and have the chance to see what it means to the small teams across the state that normally don't make appearances in their district/region/Sweet 16.

But I can assure you without the All "A" Tournament - The Sweet 16 would easily survive.

The teams that do well in the All A are often contenders in their own region as well. I would project 5or 6 of the boys teams as being legit regional contenders.

What I don’t like is that private schools are included in a small school state tournament.

I’m fine with the winners calling them self State Champs. It’s the only chance the majority of these school have to compete for State Championship. For everyone that doesn’t like the All A Classic you should push for classification in all sports, not just football and then the All A will go away.