Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

All A a KHSAA event?

Featured Replies

For one this should not be Called the all A classic. It is not a class A tournament. It is actually a 3 A tournament. About half the schools in the state compete in it. As far as the khsaa sponsoring it that's like saying does the KHSAA sponsor the lake Cumberland classic.

The All A was started when the football classes were 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A. Soooo

  • Replies 104
  • Views 12.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't the KHSAA make allowances for the participating teams number of games allowed? It would seem by allowing that it treats it as more than a Christmas tourney.

Doesn't the KHSAA make allowances for the participating teams number of games allowed? It would seem by allowing that it treats it as more than a Christmas tourney.

 

I don't think so. I'm fairly certain the limitation is 30 games. They used to have something that allowed tournaments to count as just 1 game, but I believe they changed that a few years ago to where now all games count as 1 toward the limit of 30.

Does anyone really do that?

 

Yes some do, or at least did. Many years ago I saw a team being presented rings and a banner being hung in their gym declaring them state champions after winning the girls All A. The coach was an acquaintance so when I asked him about it he justified it by saying it's a state tournament, they won it therefore they are state champions.

The folks at uha don’t say they “won state” or are “going to state”. They do say that they won “all a”. They also have banners that note when they won “all a”.

 

They treat like it should

Be. It’s a big deal but it isn’t “state”. They have a banner just for their state title.

Betsy Layne has a road sign along US 23, a banner, and championship rings from their All A title a few years ago.

It is a mid season basketball tournament ran by a committee, no different than the King of the Bluegrass or Ashland Invitational Tournament.

 

Except the format and #of participants mirrors the state tourney format from Regionals to Rupp.

 

IMO it is more of a state championship than winning it in football is due to the participation level.

Was in a restaurant in Kentucky that had the "world's greatest coffee" - pretty sure it wasn't the " WORLD'S greatest"- The All A invites everyone across the state that meets the requirements -I have no problem calling them the All A state champs-they are the last team standing across the state at the end of the tournament who had meet the requirements

Keep in mind this tournament started as a small invitational where 8 local teams played against 8 other small schools from down state. It morphed over time into what it has become today.

Another point, unless something has changed since I retired over a decade ago, as far as financial advantages the All A State tourney is much, much better to the participating teams than the KHSAA tourney. They allot a certain amount of money for the lodging and if memory serves me correctly they also give each school some money to help pay food expenses.

 

Our school has has never made it to the KHSAA state but by talking to schools who have been in both I learned how the KHSAA compares. Most of the expenses for Sweet 16 teams is on the schools.

Keep in mind this tournament started as a small invitational where 8 local teams played against 8 other small schools from down state. It morphed over time into what it has become today.

 

I remember in the 1980’s Oneida Baptist Institute , a neighbor school 20 miles from where I live, played a few times in the All A Invitational held at one of the northern Kentucky schools. It didn’t go statewide until the 1989-90 school year. I recall talking to some of their coaches and they really liked the tournament and the hospitality.

I heard once that the All A Tournament is not actually a KHSAA Event? Can someone expand on this? I thought of it while reading the 2a thread.

 

As the others have pointed out the All A Classic is not a KHSAA event and it is definitely NOT a state championship of any sort. It is the All A Classic just like the KOB or any other tourney.

Another point, unless something has changed since I retired over a decade ago, as far as financial advantages the All A State tourney is much, much better to the participating teams than the KHSAA tourney. They allot a certain amount of money for the lodging and if memory serves me correctly they also give each school some money to help pay food expenses.

 

Our school has has never made it to the KHSAA state but by talking to schools who have been in both I learned how the KHSAA compares. Most of the expenses for Sweet 16 teams is on the schools.

 

All A definitely take care of the school sbetter than the KHSAA. All A will gone rooms for the whole week even if you lost in the 1st round. KHSAA does not do this. Everything about the event is top notch.

Doesn't the KHSAA make allowances for the participating teams number of games allowed? It would seem by allowing that it treats it as more than a Christmas tourney.

 

No allowances. 30 games is all you can play before districts.

I remember in the 1980’s Oneida Baptist Institute , a neighbor school 20 miles from where I live, played a few times in the All A Invitational held at one of the northern Kentucky schools. It didn’t go statewide until the 1989-90 school year. I recall talking to some of their coaches and they really liked the tournament and the hospitality.

 

I worked at the Sports Arena during the early years. The out of town teams stayed at the Quality inn in Covnington. We held a hospitality suite for the coaches. Stan Steidel had a great vision!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.