January 8, 20188 yr No known aggressive behavior. Dad stabs family dog to death to free 1-year-old daughter being attacked
January 8, 20188 yr Lets get the full breed of the dog correct please. FALMOUTH, Mass. — A 1-year-old girl was attacked by the family pit bull Sunday morning. Falmouth police said officers responded to a residence on Brick Kiln Road at 8:54 a.m. for a report of a child attacked by a dog. Advertisement Police said a preliminary investigation indicates the child was playing in the kitchen with her father nearby when the family's pit bull terrier attacked the child and bit her in the face, which caused major trauma. The father tried to separate the dog from the child but was unable to do so. Police said he went to retrieve a pistol from a nearby room, but when he realized the gun wasn't loaded, he grabbed a knife and began stabbing the animal. The dog was fatally wounded. The child was taken to Falmouth Hospital by ambulance and then flown to a Boston-area hospital by helicopter. Fox 25 reports the 1-year-old had blood transfusions and underwent a four to six hour surgery. Doctors are reportedly "optimistic," though the child will likely be in the hospital for weeks. Police said the family owned the dog for five years and said there is no known history of violence or aggression. "Not once have I ever seen the dog in any aggressive way. Even when my dog got loose once and ran over into his yard, the dog didn't attempt to start a fight or anything. He was really well behaved," neighbor Anne Mello said. The attack appears to have been unprovoked. The incident remains under investigation.
January 8, 20188 yr You know what the coolest thing about pit bulls is? ...you don't have to own one.
January 8, 20188 yr You know what the coolest thing about pit bulls is? ...you don't have to own one. The best choice you can make when it comes to purchasing a dog.
January 8, 20188 yr You know what the coolest thing about pit bulls is? ...you don't have to own one. So then your neighbor's pit bull can attack you instead.
January 8, 20188 yr I cringe anytime I see a large breed dog and very small child together. Even though int most cases the dog is very protective and a wonderful pet, just like in this case you never know when a dog will be a dog. I have family members that have a less than 1-year-old daughter that is constantly being photoed with their "Pit" and another large dog that both live in the house with them and I honestly worry about the baby daily. Not because of the breed but because of the unknown nature of dogs in general. We had an Akita that we had since she was weened and when she was about a year old and around 50 pounds she snapped unprovoked at my 4-year-old sons face just missing his eye. We loved that dog, but there was no question the dog never spent another minute in the house with us and was given away within a week. My father in law, who just thought we were overreacting, took the dog. Four months later the dog again went after my son and my father in law saw that it was unprovoked again. The dog was very protective of my wife and I feel was jealous of our son. He found a new home for the dog before we visited again. That dog was a great pet and was never mistreated and had spent endless hours playing with our son...but for some reason twice she decided to try to attack/bite him. To that end are some breeds worse than others when it comes to attacking children and adults, well the evidense does seem to be pointing in that direction.
January 8, 20188 yr So then your neighbor's pit bull can attack you instead. Never been attacked by any of the dozens of pit bulls I've spent time around, so I couldn't tell you. I've been bitten by dogs on a few occasions, but never a pit bull.
January 8, 20188 yr Another Pit Bull thread that will inevitably be a giant waste of time for anyone who comments. I think I’ll bow out of this one early.
January 8, 20188 yr Another Pit Bull thread that will inevitably be a giant waste of time for anyone who comments. I think I’ll bow out of this one early. If you have a problem with a topic on BGP don't post in the thread. And for reference: 12. No complaining about the web site, its members, or its management on the forums or in public. If you have a complaint (or if you have any constructive criticism) you need to send an email to [email protected] and I will get back with you as soon as possible to address the issue. When a moderator warns of possible rule violation or makes a request in a thread, do not ignore the warning/request and do not argue. Ignoring a violation warning, ignoring a moderator request or arguing with a moderator over their enforcement of forum rules may result in your suspension.
January 8, 20188 yr No known aggressive behavior. Dad stabs family dog to death to free 1-year-old daughter being attacked Dad will probably get charged for cruelty to animals.
January 9, 20188 yr Any breed can bite. Some are more likely than others and in the case of pit bulls it’s the damage they can inflict. Too risky for me.
January 9, 20188 yr Never been attacked by any of the dozens of pit bulls I've spent time around, so I couldn't tell you. I've been bitten by dogs on a few occasions, but never a pit bull. I have been bitten too. By a Chihuahua...kinda hurt a little too, but never made the evening news.:idunno:
January 10, 20188 yr 1) I hope the little girl makes a full recovery. 2) As big of a pit bull support as I am, they (along with every other breed) need to be watched closely with children. 3) Point 2 brings me to this point.. the article states the dad was “nearby”. How nearby? Other room? If so, you can’t leave any one year old with a kid in another room. Article also states the attack “appears” unprovoked which makes me wonder why it just appears that way and why I wonder what “nearby” means in this case.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.